The Joe Pride-trained sprint star Eduardo is red...
The Melbourne Cup is a race known for its upset results and the favourites have a pretty poor record in the two mile classic so, below we have the best 2017 Melbourne Cup Roughie Tips to get behind this afternoon.
Since Makybe Diva made history with her third Melbourne Cup success in 2005, just one favourite has saluted for the punters in the ‘Race That Stops a Nation’ with Fiorente ($7 in 2013).
Also since 2005, Fiorente is one of just two Melbourne Cup winners to have jumped at a starting price of under $10 along with Protectionist ($8 in 2014).
Run over the 3200m at Flemington Racecourse at 3:00pm (AEDT) on the first Tuesday of November every year, the iconic Group 1 Melbourne Cup is a roughies’ race.
That has been proven plenty of times in the past decade with notable Melbourne Cup upsets in that time including Viewed ($41 in 2008), Green Moon ($21 in 2012) and of course the Darren Weir-trained Prince Of Penzance ($101 in 2015).
This year out of the 23 Melbourne Cup horses left in the mix just two are out to break the hoodoo of single-figure fancies with the firming British galloper Marmelo ($7.50) set to jump favourite ahead of last year’s winner Almandin ($9).
Looking further down the Melbourne Cup betting markets has given punters plenty of recent success however so below we look at the best roughie hopes to get behind in the richest handicap race in the world.
BEST MELBOURNE CUP 2017 ROUGHIES
Verdict: Needs to break the hoodoo of internationals first-up but is a dour stayer with consistency and class. Top 4.
Breeding: by Tiberius Caesar (FR) from Toamasina (FR)
Trainer: Alain Couetil (France)
Owners: Australian Thoroughbred Bloodstock Pty Ltd, Mr H Volz, Earl De Haras Du Logis, Mr S Falk, Mrs A Whittaker, Mr M J Whittaker, Mr J T Ogle, Waggun, Dorrington Farm, Mr I W Hicks, Mr S A Bingley, Big Dog, Mr P J Gallivan, Brittain Racing, Mr B Danaher, Mr P J Treloar, S C G Racing Pty Ltd, Mr G J Ferguson, Mr S D Musson, Mr P M Lynch
Jockey: Olivier Peslier
Barrier: 23 into 22
Lead-Up Run: 1st, Group 2 GB de Deauville, 2500m, France, 27/08/2017
- Needs to be the first international Melbourne Cup winner to salute first-up since the first – Vintage Crop (1993)
- Hoodoo tip as horses starting with the letter ‘T’ have won the most Melbourne Cups
- Is the right age looking at recent Melbourne Cup history as six-year-olds have won five of the past seven editions of the race
- Represents Australian Thoroughbred Bloodstock who won the 2014 edition of the race with Protectionist and ran second last year with Heartbreak City
- Has work to do from the wide barrier
- Strong form overseas with winning form up to 3000m
- Carried 60kg to victory last time out in August and is well-weighed with 55.5kg here
#10 VENTURA STORM
Verdict: Forgive the Caulfield Cup run, better at Flemington with Boss aboard. Top 4.
Breeding: by Zoffany (IRE) from Sarawati (IRE)
Trainer: David & Ben Hayes; Tom Dabernig (Lindsay Park)
Owners: Mr D A Hayes, Mr S D Perrin, Mrs R J Perrin, Mr B Pang, Dr A Pang, Mr B Gupta, Mrs V B Gupta, Mr M Angelini, B & C Thoroughbreds Pty Ltd, Mr A T Harrison, R & C Legh Racing Pty Ltd, Pulitano Thoroughbreds Pty Ltd, Mr G F Austin, Mr R W Hill-Smith, Mr J C Charlton, Mr J F Valmorbida, Mr M A Whiting, Mr B Blundy
Jockey: Glen Boss
Lead-Up Run: 13th, Group 1 Caulfield Cup, 2400m, 21/10/2017
- Lindsay Park are flying having won the Caulfield Cup in an upset with Boom Time (50/1) so don’t discount
- Is the right age / sex historically with five-year-old stallions boasting the most Melbourne Cup wins
- Three-time Melbourne Cup winning hoop Glen Boss (Makybe Diva, 2003-05) comes aboard looking to win an equal four Melbourne Cups
- Gets the run of the race from barrier six, although no Melbourne Cup winner has jumped from the gate since Light Fingers (1965)
- Was luckless in the Caulfield Cup (13th) and can atone returning to Flemington where he recently ran second to Winx in the Turnbull Stakes
#19 SINGLE GAZE
Verdict: Top 3 hope out to further prove her pedigree wrong.
Breeding: by Not A Single Doubt from Redaluca’s Gaze
Trainer: Nick Olive
Owners: Mr N J Olive, Mr M P Hay, Mr D E Tout, Mr W P Oxford, Mr M Notaras, Redbank North Pty Ltd, Mr R P Keeley, Mr P Kouvelis, Mr N Keeley, Mr M J O’brien, Mr R A Stuart
Jockey: Ms Kathy O’Hara
Lead-Up Run: 2nd, Group 1 Caulfield Cup (2400m), 21/10/2017
- She’s not bred to stay but she’s proving the pedigree wrong so happy to tip that to continue getting out over 3200m
- The best chance of the three Australian-bred horses in the race looking to be just the third in 18 years to hold off the internationally-bred gallopers
- Five-year-olds have won more Melbourne Cups than any other age group in history
- Drawn the most successful Melbourne Cup barrier in history (11) out to be the first from the gate to salute since American (2010)
- Jockey Kathy O’Hara has been on this mare the whole way and retains the ride looking to be just the second female jockey in history to ride a Melbourne Cup winner along with Michelle Payne (2015)
- She’s not all that well-weighted for a mare but is a Group 1 winner and is flying
- Is fit and peaking, hard to knock a mare in this form after the flying Caulfield Cup second
Back our exclusive 2017 Melbourne Cup Roughie Tips at the right price this afternoon online at Ladbrokes.com.au.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.