The punters are coming for the Joe Pride-trained...
The second Perth Summer Racing Carnival Group 1 runs at Ascot Racecourse on Saturday and below is the comprehensive 2016 Winterbottom Stakes form guide analysis and betting preview on the sprint feature.
Due to run as Ascot Race 8 at 5:00pm (WA time), this year’s $1 million Group 1 Crown Perth Winterbottom Stakes (1200m) features a final field of 12 sprinters.
Heading the latest Winterbottom Stakes odds at Ladbrokes.com.au at $3.40 for the win is last start Darley Classic winner Malaguerra who has come up trumps with barrier one.
Fighting for top spot in the Winterbottom Stakes betting markets at $3.50 is the Joe Pride-trained Terravista also drawn well in barrier five with Hugh Bowman booked for the ride.
That’s the story told by the bookies but what about the Winterbottom Stakes form guide, betting history and statistics?
2016 Winterbottom Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Winterbottom Stakes winner was the Robert Heathcote-trained Buffering (2015) who came off a fourth in the Darley Classic (at Flemington) and jumped from barrier 8 (of 15) with Damian Browne aboard the short-priced favourite
- Buffering also won the race in 2013 and became the third interstate raider in five years to win the Winterbottom Stakes along with Ortensia (2011)
- The interstate raiders out to steal the show this weekend are: #1 Terravista (Joe Pride), #2 Malaguerra (Peter Gelatotis), #3 Takedown (Gary Moore), #5 Keen Array (David & Ben Hayes and Tom Dabernig) and #11 Sheidel (David & Ben Hayes and Tom Dabernig)
- Buffering completed the Darley Classic – Winterbottom Stakes double in 2013
- #2 Malaguerra ($3.20) comes off a win in this year’s Darley Classic
- The other Darley Classic graduates in the Winterbottom Stakes field on Saturday are Sheidel (5th) and Keen Array (7th)
- Four of the past five Winterbottom Stakes winners came off a last start victory
- Along with #2 Malaguerra the other last start winners in the mix this year are: #8 Vega Magic (Group 3 Colonel Reeves Stakes, 1100m, Ascot, 12/11/2016) and #10 State Solicitor (Benchmark 72+, 1200m, Ascot, 12/11/2016)
- #8 Vega Magic ($11) is out to complete the Colonel Reeves – Winterbottom Stakes double for the first time since Barakey (2012)
- The only previous Winterbottom Stakes winning trainer with a runner on Saturday is David Hayes (5-2-1-1) with #5 Keen Array ($21) and #11 Sheidel ($11)
- The past Winterbottom Stakes winning jockeys with a ride on the weekend are: William Pike (9-2-0-1) on #10 State Solicitor and Damien Oliver (6-1-0-1) on #11 Sheidel
- Last year’s winning barrier (8) has produced has produced five Winterbottom Stakes winners (since 1983) making it the equal most successful barrier in that time along with gate 1
- The best Winterbottom Stakes barriers belong this year to #3 Takedown (8) and #2 Malaguerra (1)
- Favourites have an outstanding recent record in the Winterbottom Stakes results with 4 of the past 5 editions going their way; 6 of the past 10 and 9 of the past 15
- The top fancies in Winterbottom Stakes betting this year are #2 Malaguerra ($3.40) and #1 Terravista ($3.50)
- Mares have won three times in the past decade; the mares in the mix this year are #11 Sheidel and #12 Military Reign
- Only one seven-year-old has won the Winterbottom Stakes (since 1983) and this year #1 Terravista and #4 Rock Magic are out to be the next
- Four and five-year-olds have the best record in the race
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #10 State Solicitor (86%) followed by #8 Vega Magic (67%) and #11 Sheidel (56%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #8 Vega Magic (92%) followed by #10 State Solicitor (86%)
- The horses with the best winning record over the distance (1200m) are: #8 Vega Magic (9-7-1-1), #1 Terravista (11-5-0-3), #2 Malaguerra (7-5-1-0), #6 First Among Equals (7-5-1-0), #10 State Solicitor (6-5-0-0), #5 Keen Array (10-4-2-1), #11 Sheidel (7-4-1-0) and #3 Takedown (6-3-0-1)
- The previous winners at the track (Ascot) are: #11 Sheidel (10-9-0-0), #8 Vega Magic (5-4-0-0), #9 Regal Commander (11-4-2-1), #4 Rock Magic (8-2-1-1), #6 First Among Equals (10-2-2-1), #7 Battle Hero (11-2-4-1), #12 Military Reign (7-2-1-0) and #10 State Solicitor (2-2-0-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Winterbottom Stakes tips to be published shortly.
In the meantime check out the full 2016 Winterbottom Stakes form guide courtesy of Ladbrokes.com.au – home of Odds Boost Extra on the race (T&Cs apply).
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.