The countdown to the Sydney Spring Racing...
This Saturday the action of the Brisbane Winter Racing Carnival continues at Doomben Racecourse with the running of the Doomben Cup 2013, the Races.com.au’s exclusive form guide analysis and betting preview for which is detailed below.
Set to run as Doomben Race 7 at 3:40pm (AEST) this year’s $500,000 Group 1 Kirks Doomben Cup (2000m) has drawn a field of 14 hopefuls with two horses heading the betting markets at an equal quote of $3.70 through bookmaker.com.au.
After running one-two in the Group 2 AD Hollindale Stakes (1800m) at the Gold Coast at the start of the month Peter Moody’s flying mare Lights Of Heaven and Chris Waller’s Ranvet Stakes winning import Foreteller are now battling for favouritsim in the Doomben Cup odds.
The pair has also drawn one beside each other with Caulfield Cup minor placegetter Lights Of Heaven in gate five and Foreteller in four with Jim Cassidy to ride.
The other single figure hopes in the markets are then Sydney-based six-year-old Lamasery ($7.50) and the Gai Waterhouse-trained three-year-old Hippopus ($9) in gate two who won the VRC St Leger over 2800m at Flemington last month.
Add into the mix further talent such as Moody’s former autumn star Manighar ($10), the Waller-trained market mover Beaten Up ($11) and the Grahame Begg-trained Group 1 winning mare Secret Admirer ($15) and it is shaping up as an intriguing Doomben Cup.
To help you sort the pretenders from the genuine contenders the team here have gone over the Doomben Cup field, form, betting history and stats to come up with the below must know Doomben Cup facts on the classic.
2013 Doomben Cup Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Doomben Cup winner was the Anthony Freedman-trained Mawingo who jumped form barrier five (of 12) with Nash Rawiller aboard on the back of a Hollindale Stakes third to beat home Lights Of Heaven and Manighar
- While Mawingo isn’t back to defend their title last year’s runner-up #9 Lights Of Heaven ($3.70) and third placegetter #1 Manighar ($10) are both back for another shot
- Co-favourite #9 Lights Of Heaven has also drawn last year’s winning barrier (5) which has produced three previous winners
- The most successful Doomben Cup barriers in the past three decades meanwhile have been two and 11 producing four winners each; this year those barriers belong to #14 Hippopus ($9) and #13 Pimms Time ($31) respectively
- #9 Lights Of Heaven and equal favourite #4 Foreteller ($3.70) ran one-two in the same race that Mawingo ran third in on way to their Doomben Cup win last year, the Hollindale Stakes, which has produced eight Doomben Cup winners since 2002
- Favourites have won three of the past 10 Doomben Cups and 13 of the past 30
- Other 2013 Doomben Cup hopes coming from the Hollindale include #5 Lamasery (4th), #7 Lightinthenite (5th), #2 Danleigh (6th) and #3 Ginga Dude (8th)
- If successful on Saturday #9 Lights Of Heaven will be the fifth horse since 2002 to take out the Hollindale Stakes – Doomben Cup double joining Metal Bender (2010), Above Deck (2006), Bush Padre (2003) and Mr Bureaucrat (2002)
- There are three last start winners engaged in this year’s race with #9 Lights Of Heaven (Group 2 Hollindale Stakes, 1800m, Gold Coast, 04/05/2013), #13 Pimms Time (Group 2 Travis Stakes, 2000m, Te Rapa, NZ, 27/04/2013) and #14 Hippopus (Listed VRC St Leger, 2800m, Flemington, 25/04/2013)
- #5 Lamasery ($7.50) boasts the highest Win Rate of the field with 45.83% followed by #13 Pimms Time (41.67%) and #14 Hippopus (40.00%)
- The best Place Rate meanwhile belongs to #14 Hippopus (70%) followed by #5 Lamasery (66.67%), #9 Lights Of Heaven (65.22%), #10 Secret Admirer (62.96%) and #1 Manighar (60%)
- No horse has won a race at Doomben before but a number of finished in the money with #1 Manighar (1-0-0-1), #3 Ginga Dude (1-0-0-1) and #9 Lights Of Heaven (1-0-1-0)
- Over the 2000m the horses with the best record are #8 Beaten Up (2-2-0-0), #5 Lamasery (3-2-0-0), #1 Manighar (6-2-1-1), #9 Lights Of Heaven (6-2-1-2), #4 Foreteller (6-2-0-0), #7 Lightinthenite (1-1-0-0) and #13 Pimms Time (1-1-0-0)
- There is a chance of a Slow track at Doomben on Saturday after more rain fell at the course on Thursday so it’s worth looking at the Doomben Cup hopes with good form on Slow ground including #13 Pimms Time (3-3-0-0), #2 Danleigh (10-5-2-1), #3 Ginga Dude (5-2-1-1), #4 Foreteller (6-2-0-0), #7 Lightinthenite (3-2-0-0), #14 Hippopus (3-1-2-0), #9 Lights Of Heaven (1-1-0-0) and #11 Fibrillation (1-1-0-0)
- The most successful jockey in recent Doomben Cup history is Jim Cassidy with three wins from 10 rides since 1983; Cassidy will vie for a fourth this weekend with #4 Foreteller
Stay tuned to Races.com.au to view our insider Doomben Cup 2013 tips to be published shortly.
Think you’ve already picked out this year’s winning Doomben Cup trifecta and want to lock in in now at the best prices in the country?
2013 Doomben Cup Field & Form Guide
Doomben Race 7 – 3:40pm (AEST) – 18/05/2013
|1.||MANIGHAR||P G Moody||Brad Rawiller||9||59||7yoG||21||$102,598||35: 10 6 5||28.57%||60.00%||6×0047|
|2.||DANLEIGH||C J Waller||Michael Walker||6||59||9yoG||14||$41,231||62: 10 7 12||16.13%||46.77%||533756|
|3.||GINGA DUDE||G B Boyd||Larry Cassidy||3||59||9yoG||14||$19,795||58: 15 5 9||25.86%||50.00%||689×58|
|4.||FORETELLER||C J Waller||Jimmy Cassidy||4||59||6yoG||14||$31,701||30: 9 2 1||30.00%||40.00%||517152|
|5.||LAMASERY||David Vandyke||Glen Colless||14||59||6yoG||14||$26,269||24: 11 2 3||45.83%||66.67%||315×04|
|6.||ZABEELIONAIRE||L J Corstens||Stephen Baster||7||59||4yoH||14||$29,269||20: 3 1 1||15.00%||25.00%||650×73|
|7.||LIGHTINTHENITE||J A O’shea||Nicholas Hall||13||59||5yoG||14||$20,456||18: 6 2 2||33.33%||55.56%||66×495|
|8.||BEATEN UP||C J Waller||L G Innes||1||59||5yoG||14||$20,378||10: 3 1 1||30.00%||50.00%||43×902|
|9.||LIGHTS OF HEAVEN||P G Moody||Luke Nolen||5||57||5yoM||14||$67,847||23: 8 4 3||34.78%||65.22%||0x0211|
|10.||SECRET ADMIRER||G M Begg||Michael Rodd||12||57||5yoM||21||$51,612||27: 3 5 9||11.11%||62.96%||3×5485|
|11.||FIBRILLATION||T R Martin||Steven Arnold||8||57||5yoM||28||$20,438||23: 4 4 3||17.39%||47.83%||4×0342|
|12.||ZURELLA||S F Ritchie||Jonathan Riddell||10||57||4yoM||21||$19,925||16: 5 2 1||31.25%||50.00%||6×3506|
|13.||PIMMS TIME||E G Lowry||Damian Browne||11||57||4yoM||21||$6,636||12: 5 1 1||41.67%||58.33%||x41511|
|14.||HIPPOPUS||Ms G Waterhouse||Chris Munce||2||56.5||3yoC||23||$22,189||10: 4 3 0||40.00%||70.00%||211251|
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
*Form Guide Credit – Ladbrokes.com.au
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.