Veteran 10-year-old Ihtsahymn entered the...
She was only confirmed for the race in the 11th hour thanks to the firming track at Warwick Farm, so will the trip across the Tasman pay off for Roger James’ smart Kiwi mare Silent Achiever when she runs in the 2013 Chipping Norton Stakes on Saturday?
One of 14 sprinters in the mix for this year’s $350,000 Group 1 Chipping Norton Stakes (1600m) the Group 1 winning daughter of O’Reilly runs down under for the first time since last year’s Melbourne Cup Carnival.
As a three-year-old Silent Achiever earned accolades for her big two and a half length win over the boys in the Group 1 NZ Derby (2400m) before travelling to Australia for Sydney Autumn Racing Carnival.
She was impressive in her debut run here when defeated under half a length by Laser Hawk in the Group 1 Rosehill Guineas (2000m) before a disappointing sixth in the Group 1 Australian Derby (2400m).
Silent Achiever was back down under in the spring where she won the Group 2 Crystal Mile (1600m) second-up and then ran a credible fourth to Midnight Martini in the Group 2 Matriarch Stakes (2000m) on Emirates Stakes Day.
She resumed back home at Ellerslie in an open handicap over 1400m finishing second by the barest of margins having carried a hefty 61kg.
Saturday she will drop back to a far more manageable 57kg, the now four-year-old drawn on the rails in barrier one with Kiwi-bred James McDonald, aboard for four of her six career wins to date, engaged for the ride.
Latest Chipping Norton Stakes odds are led by the reigning Chris Waller-trained Shoot Out who is the slight $5 favourite over last autumn’s top weight-for-age champion Manighar ($5.50) who are drawn at opposite ends of the field in gates two and 14 respectively.
Silent Achiever meanwhile occupies the third line of Chipping Norton Stakes betting at $7.50, the bookies taking no chances on a mare tipped to be back bigger and better than her campaign in Sydney last autumn.
So can Silent Achiever break her Group 1 maiden status in Oz with an upset?
#13 Silent Achiever – Horse Form
- Barrier: 1
- Jockey: James McDonald
- Trainer: Roger James
- Owners: Mr K J Hickman
- Age: 4YO
- Gender: Mare
- Breeding: by O’Reilly (NZ) from Winning Spree (NZ)
- Career: 13-6-2-2
- Win: 46.15%
- Place: 76.92%
- Last 6: x414x2
- Prize Money: $692,942
- Track: 0-0-0-0
- Distance: 3-2-0-1
- Current 2013 Chipping Norton Stakes Odds: $7.50
Yes – Silent Achiever Can Win the Chipping Norton Stakes 2013
- While her trainer doesn’t want it wet she has won on a Slow (7) in the Group 1 NZ Derby last March
- Gets the inside running from barrier one with top hoop James McDonald in the saddle
- McDonald knows the mare well having been aboard for four of her six career wins including the NZ Derby and the Crystal Mile
- Boasts the second best Win Rate of the field with 46.15% trailing only #7 Laser Hawk (57.14%)
- Place rate is also impressive (76.92%)
- Competitive in Sydney last autumn in the big ones against her own age including her third to Laser Hawk in the Rosehill Guineas
- Awesome record over the mile (3-2-0-1)
No – Silent Achiever Won’t Win the 2013 Chipping Norton Stakes
- If the rain comes it won’t be ideal for Silent Achiever who wasn’t going to come over for a wet track
- Yet to race at Warwick Farm
- Has to beat some better credentialed weight-for-age champions here including the past two winners of the race in #3 Shoot Out and #4 Danleigh
Whatever horse you’re backing in the big one in Sydney this weekend make sure you don’t settle for second best.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.