There was no love for Tofane in Saturday’s...
As it stands after the second acceptances for the world’s richest handicap, goliath owner Lloyd Williams could own a quarter of all horses accepted in the Melbourne Cup 2013 field on Tuesday November 5.
There were 47 second declarations taken for the $6.2 million Group 1 Emirates Melbourne Cup (3200m) this week, Williams and Macedon Lodge’s private trainer Robert Hickmott accepting for six runners.
All six are guaranteed a start in the capacity 24-horse Melbourne Cup field Tuesday week meaning Williams’ could own 25% of the entire line-up in the famous Flemington Race 7.
Williams remaining Melbourne Cup hopes are:
- Green Moon (3rd) – Reigning Melbourne Cup winner having taken out the race 12 months ago, allocated 57.5kg this year which is a full three kilos more than they carried to victory last spring, latest run was a Cox Plate ninth
- Sea Moon (5th) – Last start Herbert Power Stakes winner lines up again on Derby Day this Saturday either in the $1 million Group 1 Mackinnon Stakes (2000m) or the $300,000 Group 3 Lexus Stakes (2500m) as a final Cup hit-out
- Fawkner (1st) – Sits number one on the Melbourne Cup ballot having won the Caulfield Cup in fine style last start which also earned them a 1.5kg penalty bringing their handicap up to 54.5kg, still a very manageable weight for the flying Reset six-year-old, but have they already peaked?
- Mourayan (16th) – Is accepted for the Bendigo Cup on Wednesday where they would carry the 61.5kg top-weight, could still be withdrawn in favour of either the Lexus or Mackinnon however having been nominated for both also
- Seville (17th) – Group 1 The Metropolitan (2400m) win in Sydney two back, that form didn’t stack up when dropping back in distance for the Cox Plate where they finished seventh, if they run in the Cup they’ve had their final lead-up as not nominated for a run this weekend, distance will be the key
- Masked Marvel (22nd) – Lightest weighted of Williams’ Cup hopes with 54kg, this import has form up to 3621m in Europe but remains a maiden down under, most recent was last Saturday when beating just one other runner home in the Cox Plate
Of the above Williams-owned horses, Sea Moon is the shortest in Melbourne Cup betting at $13 followed very closely by Seville ($14).
They are followed by Green Moon ($31), Masked Marvel ($31), Fawkner ($34) and finally Mourayan ($81).
While many rival owners and trainers are sweating on the results of Victoria Derby Day’s two Melbourne Cup ballot exemption offering races, the Mackinnon and the Lexus Stakes, Williams and Hickmott only have left the task of deciding whether to run all of their guaranteed starters in the ‘race that stops a nation’.
The official Melbourne Cup 2013 field will be released after the Derby Day racing action live from Flemington Racecourse on Saturday.
To get behind your early pre-field selections however at the best prices down under head to Ladbrokes.com.au where you’ll also be able to lock in DOUBLE the Melbourne Cup odds on the final field from Saturday afternoon!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.