The Ben, Will & JD Hayes-trained Cox...
Realm Of Flowers is currently the easiest worst result for the bookies with big money bets continuing to roll in for the light-weight mare in 2022 Melbourne Cup betting, but can she live up to the hype come Tuesday afternoon?
The Anthony & Sam Freedman-trained daughter of So You Think was tracking towards a run in the Group 1 $7.75 million Lexus Melbourne Cup (3200m) last spring.
Winner of the 2021 The Andrew Ramsden over 2800m at Flemington, she was winding-up nicely during her spring bid, but eventually missed a start in the ‘race that stops a nation’ after getting injured.
This year the punters are coming for the now six-year-old to atone with Realm Of Flowers easily one of the best-backed Melbourne Cup horses ahead of the 162nd running of the world’s richest handicap.
She’s had an unusual lead-up in Sydney this campaign producing back-to-back Randwick thirds at her two most recent starts.
The last of those on October 1 on Heavy going saw her go down a nostril flare in a blanket finish behind No Compromise in the Group 1 The Metropolitan (2400m).
Connections opted not to give her another lead-up in the Group 3 Lexus Archer Stakes on Derby Day, and she gets into Tuesday’s major carrying just 50kg.
So, will Realm Of Flowers reward her followers?
2022 Melbourne Cup Horse Form: #24 Realm Of Flowers
Jockey: Damien Thornton
Trainers: Anthony & Sam Freedman
Owners: Mr R McClure, Mrs B M McClure, Kia Ora 2009, Mr E J Lucas, Mr P C McClure, Dr B Bester, Nandowra Racing, Mr J A R Bester, Mr J C Izon
Breeding: by SO YOU THINK (NZ) from ASTRAL FLOWER (GB)
Last 6: 06×033
Prize Money: $616,110
Track: 3 1-0-0
Current 2022 Melbourne Cup Odds: $9.50 (at time of publish) – BET NOW
Why Realm Of Flowers Can Win The 2022 Melbourne Cup
- She’s drawn a treat in barrier five, which is history’s best in the race producing eight winners with Fiorente (2013) the latest.
- She gets in on just 50kg, the lightest weight in the field, and is down from 51kg last start.
- Eye-catching narrowly beaten in the Group 1 The Metropolitan last start.
- Previous winning Flemington form in last year’s The Andrew Ramsden.
- Placed at the distance and can stay.
- Good Soft – Heavy track form.
Why Realm Of Flowers Can’t Win The Melbourne Cup 2022
- Damien Thornton isn’t the biggest big-race jockey and he’ll be under pressure here.
- Only has a 21.74% Win rate.
- Scratched from an important Lexus Archer Stakes lead-up run last weekend.
- Hasn’t raced in 31 days.
- Arguably better prepared last year.
- Sydney form lines hard to follow on this Victorian-trained mare.
*All 2022 Melbourne Cup odds are provided by Ladbrokes.com.au and subject to change.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.