The Lindsay Park stable are eyeing the Sir...
A gun line-up of 20 autumn sprinters face off in the feature race in Adelaide on Saturday, our comprehensive The Goodwood 2018 form guide analysis and betting preview found below.
Running as Race 7 at Morphettville Racecourse, this year’s Group 1 $1 million Darley Goodwood (1200m) features a capacity line-up and betting at Ladbrokes.com.au is clearly led by easing favourite Vega Magic.
Drifting out from $2.60 to $3 in the latest The Goodwood odds, the Lindsay Park-trained five-year-old is a first-up specialist and races fresh in the race he won 12 months ago when also resuming.
Subsequent winner of the Group 1 Memsie Stakes (1400m) at Caulfield and second to Redzel in the inaugural The Everest that spring, Vega Magic races on Saturday for the first time since a midfield seventh in Flemington’s Group 1 Darley Classic (1200m) back in November.
A smart winning trial in the interim has the son of Lope De Vega ready to fire from a wide barrier (14) with Damien Oliver aboard, the horse with work to do carrying this year’s 59kg top weight.
The dangers in The Goodwood betting this Adelaide Autumn Racing Carnival are the well-backed market mover Viddora ($10 into $7.50) for local trainer Lloyd Kennewell and the rails-drawn Voodoo Lad ($9.50) having his first run at the track for ace Victorian trainer Darren Weir.
To help sort the genuine contenders from the pretenders in the million dollar classic on the weekend below we go over the full The Goodwood 2018 form guide, betting history and statistical data before you place your bets at Ladbrokes.com.au.
2018 The Goodwood Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s The Goodwood winner was the Lindsay Park-trained Vega Magic (2017) who won the race first-up for the first time in over 120 years from barrier 6 (of 201) with Craig Williams aboard
- #1 Vega Magic ($3) is back chasing successive The Goodwood wins for the first time since Musket Belle (1911-12)
- #1 Vega Magic goes up from 56.5kg last year to this weekend’s 59kg top weight; Takeover Target (58.5kg in 2009) is the only The Goodwood winner to carry more than 57kg to victory in over 30 years
- #13 Flamberge ($21) is the other past The Goodwood winner in the line-up having won in 2015
- Last year’s winning trainers from Lindsay Park chase back-to-back The Goodwood wins with #1 Vega Magic and #3 Thronum ($11)
- The other previous The Goodwood winning trainers with a runner on Saturday are: dual winning horseman Darren Weir with #6 Voodoo Lad ($9.50), #9 Stellar Collision ($26) and #14 Handsome Thief ($26); Mick Price who is also after a third success with #4 Secret Agenda ($15); another two-time winner John Hawkes who saddles-up #15 Overshare ($61) in partnership with his sons Michael and Wayne; and Barry Brook with the triple-figure roughie #20 Nipperkin ($151)
- Last year’s winning hoop Craig Williams misses the race in favour of the Doomben Cup ride in Brisbane on Ambitious
- The previous The Goodwood winning jockeys with a ride on the weekend are: dual winning hoop Ben Melham on #2 Santa Ana Lane ($16), Stephen Baster on #7 Ferrando ($41) and Clare Lindop on #16 Exalted Adam ($91)
- Last year’s winning barrier (6) has produced just two The Goodwood winners (since 1983) and belongs on Saturday to #18 Missrock ($21); punters need to go back to 2000-01 to find the last time successive The Goodwood winners jumped from the same barrier (13)
- The most successful The Goodwood barrier in that time producing five winners, most recently Black Caviar (2012), is gate 8 drawn this year by #11 Steel Frost ($21)
- Favourites in The Goodwood betting have won only three times since 2001 most recently Black Heart Bart ($2.80 in 2016)
- #1 Vega Magic ($3) is this year’s The Goodwood favourite
- In the past decade there has been four blow-out The Goodwood results with horses at 20/1 or more with: Shadoways ($31 in 2008), Lone Rock ($31 in 2011), Smokin’ Joey ($41 in 2014) and Flamberge ($21 in 2015)
- Since 2005 four mares have won The Goodwood including most recently Black Caviar (2012) and Platelet (2013) who went back-to-back
- There are six mares in the 2018 The Goodwood field with: #4 Secret Agenda ($15), #5 Viddora ($7.50), #8 Super Cash ($15), #18 Missrock ($21), #19 Mica Lil ($34) and #20 Nipperkin ($151)
- There is also the filly #17 I’ll Have A Bit ($26) who along with the colts #10 Viridine ($17) and #15 Overshare ($61) are out to be the first three-year-old The Goodwood winner since the filly Lone Rock (2011)
- Five-year-olds have won three editions of The Goodwood in the past decade; there are nine 5YOs in the race this year including the favourite #1 Vega Magic
- Four last start winners have taken out The Goodwood in the past 10 years; the last-start winners in the field this year are: #11 Steel Frost (Listed City of Adelaide Stakes, 1400m, Morphettville Parks, 28/04/2018), #14 Handsome Thief (Listed Wangoom Handicap, 1200m, Warrnambool, 02/05/2018) and #17 I’ll Have A Bit (Group 2 Euclase Stakes, 1200m, Morphettville, 05/05/2018)
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #1 Vega Magic (60%) followed by #11 Steel Frost (50%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #1 Vega Magic (80%) followed by #6 Voodoo Lad (79%) and #14 Handsome Thief (79%)
- The horses with previous winning form at the Morphettville track are: #5 Viddora (10:4-2-0), #12 Lope De Capio (19:3-4-0), #17 I’ll Have A Bit (3:2-0-0), #13 Flamberge (4:2-0-0), #1 Vega Magic (1:1-0-0), #4 Secret Agenda (5-1-1-1), #9 Stellar Collision (2:1-1-0), #11 Steel Frost (3:1-0-1), #16 Exalted Adam (6:1-1-0), #19 Mica Lil (3:1-1-1) and #20 Nipperkin (9:1-0-1)
Stay tuned for our insider The Goodwood 2018 tips, a full race form guide provided below in the meantime courtesy of Ladbrokes.com.au.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.