The countdown to the Sydney Spring Racing...
The last of four Group 1 races on the Victoria Derby Day card at Flemington on Saturday is the Cantala Stakes 2016, a detailed form guide preview and betting guide for the mile showdown found below.
Due to run as Flemington Race 8 on the all-Group status 9 event line-up, this year’s $1 million Group 1 Cantala Stakes (1600m) field is at capacity.
Formerly run as the Emirates Stakes a week later, the new-look Cantala Stakes form guide can be a bit tricker to follow as there are a number of changes to the program of horses running in the handicap showdown.
It is still crucial to check out the full 2016 Cantala Stakes Form Guide and know everything there is to know about the hopefuls facing off in the million dollar mile classic.
Leading the latest Cantala Stakes odds at Ladbrokes.com.au this Melbourne Cup Carnival at $5.50 for the win is The United States for Team Williams and trainer Robert Hickmott.
The proven Group 1 winner runs on successive Saturdays having won the Group 2 Crystal Mile (1600m) at Moonee Valley last weekend, but is yet to salute from three previous starts at Flemington.
Four of his rivals are also under double-figures in the current Cantala Stakes betting markets including the Darren Weir-trained Palentino ($7.50) carrying equal 57kg top weight with the favourite and last start Toorak Handicap winner He’s Our Rokkii ($7.50).
Below are all the must know Cantala Stakes facts, form guide statistics and historical betting data you need to place a winning wager on the race through Ladbrokes.com.au this Derby Day.
2016 Cantala Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Cantala (Emirates) Stakes winner was the Murray Baker-trained Turn Me Loose (2015) who came off a win in the Crystal Mile and jumped from barrier 10 (of 15) with Kerrin McEvoy in the saddle
- #2 The United States ($5.50) is out to secure the Crystal Mile – Cantala Stakes double for the second time in as many years, but does it without the extra week between runs
- The Crystal Mile has produced three Cantala Stakes winners in the past 10 years; the winner The United States (1st) is the only graduate backing up in the Group 1 this year
- The past three Cantala Stakes winners came off a lead-up win; the other last start winners in the race this year are: #4 He’s Our Rokkii (Group 1 Toorak Handicap, 1600m, Caulfield, 08/10/2016), #6 Thunder Fantasy (Hcp, 1400m, Randwick, 08/10/2016) and #7 Voodoo Lad (Group 3 Moonga Stakes, 1400m, Caulfield, 15/10/2016)
- #7 Voodoo Lad ($12) is out to complete the Moonga Stakes – Cantala Stakes double for the first time since Boban (2013)
- Previous Cantala Stakes winning trainers with a runner this year are: David Hayes (21-3-3-0) with #4 He’s Our Rokkii and #16 Seaburge; Chris Waller (14-2-0-0) with #9 Good Project, #11 Mackintosh and #14 McCreery; and John Hawkes (34-1-3-4) with the emergency #17e Entirely Platinum
- Last year’s winning jockey Kerrin McEvoy shoots for back-to-back wins by a hoop for the first time since Jim Cassidy (1998-99) aboard #8 Bon Aurum ($21)
- The other previous Cantala Stakes winning jockeys with a ride this year are: Mark Zahra on #1 Palentino ($7.50), Dwayne Dunn (8-1-1-0) on #4 He’s Our Rokkii ($7.50) and Hugh Bowman (6-1-0-0) on #5 Le Romain ($14)
- Last year’s winning barrier (10) has produced three Cantala Stakes winners (since 1983); this year #2 The United States (10) drew the gate but if the emergency #17e Entirely Platinum (9) doesn’t get a run barrier 10 will belong to #4 He’s Our Rokkii (11)
- The most successful Cantala Stakes barrier in that time producing five wins is gate one drawn this year by #9 Good Project ($21)
- No three-year-old has won the race in over 30 years; this year #16 Seaburge ($8.50) is out to be the first
- Four-year-olds have won the past three editions of the race; the 4YOs in the race this year are: #1 Palentino, #4 He’s Our Rokkii, #5 Le Romain, #8 Bon Aurum, #11 Mackintosh, #12 Humidor and #15 Tivaci
- Cantala Stakes favourites have won three times in the past decade most recently Boban (2013); #2 The United States is out to be the next this season
- Boban (57kg in 2013) and Happy Trails (58kg in 2012) are the only two Cantala Stakes winners to carry more than 56.5kg to victory in the past 30 years; that rules out #1 Palentino (57kg) and #2 The United States (57kg) this year
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #11 Mackintosh (60%) followed by #7 Voodoo Lad (53%)
- The highest Place Rate of the field belongs to #7 Voodoo Lad (100%) followed by $12 Humidor (89%) and #5 Le Romain (83%)
- The horses winning form at the track (Flemington) are: #1 Palentino (4-3-1-0), #8 Bon Aurum (5-2-0-1), #3 Stratum Star (9-1-1-3), #15 Tivaci (5-1-2-0) and #16 Seaburge (2-1-0-0)
- Over the distance (1600m) the horses with the best form are: #10 Hopfgarten (15-4-3-0), #13 Great Esteem (14-4-2-1), #4 He’s Our Rokkii (8-3-2-0), #9 Good Project (7-3-1-1), #14 McCreery (6-3-2-0), #12 Humidor (2-2-0-0), #1 Palentino (3-2-0-0), #2 The United States (5-1-2-0), #5 Le Romain (2-1-0-0), #6 Thunder Fantasy (6-1-0-1) and #15 Tivaci (5-1-0-1)
- #3 Stratum Star (6-0-2-3) is yet to win over a mile but has a top Place rate at the distance
Stay tuned for our inside 2016 Cantala Stakes betting tips to be published shortly.
In the meantime check out the full form guide below provided by Ladbrokes.com.au – home of Enhanced Odds (T&Cs apply).
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.