The countdown to the Sydney Spring Racing...
Perth’s Kingston Town Classic 2017 rounds out Group 1 racing in Australia for the calendar year and below the Races.com.au team look over the full race form guide and betting history ahead of the million dollar feature on Saturday.
Due to run as Ascot Race 8 at 4:50pm (AWST), the field for this summer’s Group 1 $1 million Magic Millions Kingston Town Classic (1800m) is down to 14 after the early scratching of Silverstream (15).
Of the remaining weight-for-age hopefuls, four are under double-figures for the win in the latest Kingston Town Classic odds at Ladbrokes.com.au.
Firming favourite backed into $2.90 is the Darren Weir-trained Perth expat Black Heart Bart, the five-time Group 1 champion chasing his first elite level win in W.A. from barrier one.
The gun seven-year-old was narrowly beaten in the Group 1 Railway Stakes (1600m) when racing second to Great Shot in his first run back from a hoof injury that plagued his spring campaign in Melbourne.
The money is coming in for Black Heart Bart to return to Group 1 winning form and hand Weir back-to-back Kingston Town Classic wins after his success with Stratum Star in 2016 who also had the inside run from barrier one.
The dangers to Black Heart Bart looking at the Kingston Town Classic betting markets include Godolphin’s Doncaster Mile champ It’s Somewhat ($5.50) out in gate 11 and the gun three-year-old filly Perfect Jewel ($6) coming off a lead-up win in the Group 2 WA Guineas (1600m).
2017 Kingston Town Classic Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Kingston Town Classic winner was the Darren Weir-trained Stratum Star (2016) who came off a lead-up second at Sandown the month before and won as a $12 shot from barrier 1 (of 15) with Damian Lane in the saddle
- Darren Weir is back chasing successive Kingston Town Classic wins by a trainer for the first time since Neville Parnham (2010-11 with Playing God) saddling-up #1 Black Heart Bart ($2.90) on Saturday
- The other previous Kingston Town Classic winning trainers (since 1983) with a runner this weekend are: Chris Waller with #4 Tom Melbourne, #7 All Our Roads and #8 Life Less Ordinary; Alan Mathews with #5 Pounamu; and Grant Williams with #11 Cosmic Storm, #12 Royal Star and #15 Perfect Jewel
- The previous Kingston Town Classic winning jockeys (since 1983) with a ride on Saturday are: dual winning hoop Brad Rawiller aboard #1 Black Heart Bart, Damien Oliver on #4 Tom Melbourne, Douglas Whyte on #8 Life Less Ordinary and William Pike on #15 Perfect Jewel
- William Pike guided the Grant Williams-trained filly Perfect Reflection to victory in 2015 and is back for another Kingston Town Classic win on a three-year-old filly for the same stable riding #15 Perfect Jewel ($6) this weekend
- From 2007-16 four three-year-olds won the Kingston Town Classic; along with the filly #15 Perfect Jewel the other three-year-olds in the race this year are #13 Achernar Star ($11) and #14 Money Maher ($26)
- From 2009-16 four of the seven Kingston Town Classic winners came off a lead-up victory; the last start winners in the field this year are: #2 Great Shot (Group 1 Railway Stakes, 1600m, Ascot, 25/11/2017) and #15 Perfect Jewel (Group 2 WA Guineas, 1600m, Ascot, 25/11/2017)
- #2 Great Shot ($18) is out to do the Railway Stakes – Kingston Town Classic double for the first time since Sniper’s Bullet (2009)
- From 2004-2016 the Railway Stakes has produced eight of the 13 Kingston Town Classic winners
- The other Railway Stakes graduates backing-up in the rematch Group 1 on the weekend are: Black Heart Bart (2nd), Tom Melbourne (3rd), Material Man (5th), Pounamu (6th), Gatting (7th), All Our Roads (9th) and Cosmic Storm (10th)
- #15 Perfect Jewel is out to do the WA Guineas – Kingston Town Classic double for the first time since Ihtsahymn (2013)
- #13 Achernar Star (2nd) and #14 Money Maher (7th) are the other WA Guineas graduates in the Kingston Town Classic 2017 field
- Since 2004 just one Kingston Town Classic winner finished worse than 4th in their final lead-up when Playing God won his second in 2011 on the back of a Railway Stakes 14th
- Stratum Star (2016) was the first Kingston Town Classic winner to come off a non-Perth lead-up since Credit Account in 1993
- This year #2 It’s Somewhat (3rd, Group 1 Emirates Stakes, 2000m, Flemington, 11/11/2017) and #8 Life Less Ordinary (2nd, Cup Day Plate, 1800mm, Flemington, 07/11/2017) are the Melbourne graduates coming off the non-traditional lead-up
- #11 Cosmic Storm ($51) and #12 Royal Star ($41) are the mares in the race out to be the first to salute since St. Clemens Belle (1999)
- From 2007-16 six of the 10 Kingston Town Classic favourites saluted for the punters; #1 Black Heart Bart ($2.90) is out to be the next this weekend
- In that time only two of the winners jumped at double-figures; along with #1 Black Heart Bart the other single-figure chances in Kingston Town Classic betting this year are #2 It’s Somewhat ($5.50), #15 Perfect Jewel ($6) and #4 Tom Melbourne ($8)
- The horse with the highest Win Rate in the race this year is #15 Perfect Jewel (80%) followed by #6 Material Man (59%) and #12 Royal Star (44%)
- The horse with the best Place Rate in the field this year is #13 Achernar Star (88%) followed by #15 Perfect Jewel (80%), #3 Great Shot (79%) and #12 Royal Star (78%)
- The horses with the best winning record at the Ascot track are: #5 Pounamu (16:7-4-1), #1 Black Heart Bart (21:6-7-2), #3 Great Shot (12:3-5-1), #9 Gatting (11:5-2-1) and #11 Cosmic Storm (11:4-2-1)
- The horses with the best winning record over the distance (1800m) are: #1 Black Heart Bart (4:1-0-1), #2 It’s Somewhat (3:1-0-0), #4 Tom Melbourne (3:1-0-0), #5 Pounamu (3:1-0-1), #8 Life Less Ordinary (2:1-1-0), #9 Gatting (3:1-2-0) and #11 Cosmic Storm (2:1-0-1)
Stay tuned for our insider Kingston Town Classic 2017 tips, checking out the comprehensive race form guide courtesy of Ladbrokes.com.au in the meantime below.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.