Joe Pride‘s red-hot favourite Eduardo was...
The key support act on the Randwick Guineas Day card in Sydney on Saturday is the Canterbury Stakes 2017, a comprehensive form guide analysis and betting preview for the weight-for-age Group 1 found below.
There are eight runners in the mix for this year’s $500,000 Group 1 Canterbury Stakes (1300m) with markets at Ladbrokes.com.au led by the Team Hawkes-trained five-time Group 1 winning sprinter Chautauqua ($2.90) in his distance test.
Drawn the rails, which might not be the best place to be on a mud track, is the $3.80 second elect in Canterbury Stakes betting Music Magnate who won the Group 1 Doomben 10,000 (1350m) last winter over similar metres.
There could be value in this year’s markets however so below we have a look over the full Canterbury Stakes form guide, betting statistics and historical data to uncover the best bets.
2017 Canterbury Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Canterbury Stakes winner was the John O’Shea-trained Holler (2016) who came off a fifth in the Autumn Stakes as a three-year-old, jumped from barrier 7 (of 7) and was ridden to victory by James McDonald
- John O’Shea (2-1-1-0) chases back-to-back Canterbury Stakes wins this weekend with #3 Hauraki ($10) and #8 Impending ($11)
- Gai Waterhouse with More Joyous (2011 & 2012) and Pierro (2013) was the last trainer to prepare successive Canterbury Stakes winners
- The other previous Canterbury Stakes winning trainers with a runner on the weekend are: John Hawkes (26-4-3-4) with #1 Chautauqua ($2.90) and the race’s most successful trainer Gai Waterhouse (23-7-4-3) with #7 Ugo Foscolo ($7.50)
- The only previous Canterbury Stakes winning jockey with a ride on Saturday is Kerrin McEvoy (6-1-1-1) on #4 Music Magnate ($3.80)
- Last year’s winning barrier (7) has produced six Canterbury Stakes winners (since 1983) and belongs to #8 Impending
- The most successful Canterbury Stakes barrier in that time with nine winners is gate six drawn this weekend by #2 Le Romain ($5)
- There has been no standout lead-up race into the Canterbury Stakes but two of the past four winners came off a last start victory
- The last start winners in the field this year are: #2 Le Romain (Group 3 Southern Cross Stakes, 1200m, Randwick, 13/02/2017), #4 Music Magnate (Group 2 Expressway Stakes, 1200m, Rosehill, 28/01/2017) and #7 Ugo Foscolo (Group 1 NZ 2000 Guineas, 1600m, Riccarton NZ, 05/11/2016)
- Three-year-olds have won two of the past four editions of the race; #7 Ugo Foscolo and #8 Impending are the 3YOs in the mix this year
- Five-year-olds have won four times in the past decade – the most of any age group; the 4YOs in the race this year are #3 Hauraki and #4 Music Magnate
- Favourites have an outstanding record in the race including five wins in the past 10 years; #1 Chautauqua ($2.90) is the favourite in Canterbury Stakes betting 2017
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #7 Ugo Foscolo (83%) followed by #4 Music Magnate (50%) and #1 Chautauqua (48%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #2 Le Romain (86%) and #4 Music Magnate (86%) followed by #1 Chautauqua (84%) and #7 Ugo Foscolo (83%)
- The horses with winning form at the Randwick track are: #2 Le Romain (7-3-3-0), #3 Hauraki (11-3-3-2), #1 Chautauqua (4-2-0-1), #4 Music Magnate (4-2-1-0) and #5 Japonisme (4-1-0-1)
- The runners with winning form over the 1300m distance are: #4 Music Magnate (2-1-1-0) and #6 Too Good To Refuse (6-1-1-0)
- The Canterbury Stakes will be run in the wet track and the horses with the best Heavy course records are: #2 Le Romain (2-1-1-0), #3 Hauraki (1-1-0-0), # Music Magnate (1-1-0-0), #5 Japonisme (3-1-0-0) and #7 Ugo Foscolo (2-1-0-0)
Stay tuned for our exclusive Canterbury Stakes 2017 betting tips, the full form guide found below courtesy of Ladbrokes.com.au – home of Odds Boost (T&Cs apply).
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.