Much loved Queensland trainer Desleigh Forster...
In his fifth year of trying to take home a ‘Loving Trophy’, British horseman Ed Dunlop has two hopes in the 2015 Melbourne Cup field headed by second pick in the markets Trip To Paris.
Dunlop is a regular down under during the Melbourne Cup Carnival having saddled-up $8 million earner Red Cadeaux for four Melbourne Cup bids for a trio of seconds including to Protectionist 12 months ago.
Now in his 10-year-old racing season by Australian standards, veteran Red Cadeaux is again one of the 24 horses in Tuesday’s $6.2 million Group 1 Emirates Melbourne Cup (3200m) paying $26 to final go one better in the ‘race that stops a nation’.
Dunlop’s best fancied hope of breaking his Melbourne Cup maiden though is the shorter-priced stablemate Trip To Paris paying a firming $8 in the latest markets at Ladbrokes.com.au who are giving away a 2015 Ford 4×4 Ranger to a lucky Melbourne Cup punter!
Drawn in gate 14 with Tommy Berry aboard, Champs Elysees five-year-old Trip To Paris races in Australia for the second time this week after finishing runner-up to Mongolian Khan in the $3 million Group 1 Caulfield Cup (2400m) on October 17.
A winner up to 4023m back home having taken out the Group 1 Ascot Gold Cup in June, the five-year-old is set to relish the step up to two miles on the weekend and gets into the Melbourne Cup with a nice weight of 55kg.
So can Trip To Paris finally give Dunlop a win in the world’s richest handicap with an upset over the Japanese-trained Melbourne Cup favourite Fame Game in Flemington Race 7 at 3:00pm (AEST) on Tuesday?
Melbourne Cup Horse Form: #10 Trip To Paris
Jockey: Tommy Berry
Trainer: Ed Dunlop
Owners: La Grange Partnership
Breeding: by Champs Elysees (GB) from La Grande Zoa (IRE)
Last 6: 121352
Prize Money: $1,200,548
Current 2015 Melbourne Cup Odds: $8
Why Trip To Paris Can Win the 2015 Melbourne Cup
- Barrier 14 is a solid draw producing three Melbourne Cup winners since 1992
- He has form down under with a lead-up run in Australia when runner-up in the Caulfield Cup
- Dunlop knows the race well boasting three seconds achieved with Red Cadeaux in the past four years
- Looks well weighted with 55kg, a weight last carried to victory by Fiorente (2013)
- He carried a heftier 57kg to victory in the Ascot Gold Cup and carted 62.5kg to his Goodwood Cup third over the tow miles behind fellow Melbourne Cup hope Big Orange in July
- Has winning form over the distance (2-1-0-1)
- Will relish the step up from 2400m to 3200m
- Is a market mover
- The past two Melbourne Cup winners saluted at single figures
Why Trip To Paris Won’t be the 2015 Melbourne Cup Winner
- No horse has backed up from a Caulfield Cup and won the Melbourne Cup next start since Delta Blues (3rd in 2006)
- Tommy Berry has had two Melbourne Cup rides for no top three runs to date
- Just two five-year-olds have won the Melbourne Cup in the past 10 years
- While internationals have a good record no UK-trained horse has won the Melbourne Cup
Now is the time to head to Ladbrokes.com.au and get in on the Melbourne Cup betting action with as many unique bets as you can to get as many entries as possible into their $70,000 prize giveaway with a top prize of a Ford Ranger worth over $57,000!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.