There was no love for Tofane in Saturday’s...
Robert Hickmott was due to saddle two horses in the 2014 Melbourne Cup as he searched for his second win in the ‘race that stops the nation’ but after Sea Moon was scratched from the race on Monday, the trainer’s hope lay solely with Fawkner. Lucky for him, the gelding looks to be a certified contender for the Flemington race on Tuesday afternoon.
Fawkner is on the third line of betting in the Ladbrokes.com.au betting market at $7.50, following a spectacular spring racing preparation.
Following the gelding’s tilt in last year’s Group 1 Emirates Melbourne Cup (3200m), in which he ran a big, solid race after getting a mile to finish a commendable sixth, Fawkner returned in September for a very close runner-up finish in the Group 1 Makybe Diva Stakes (1600m), just running out of petrol on the line.
However he atoned for this his next time out in the Group 1 Caulfield Stakes (2000m) on October 11. The gelding was nicely positioned behind the lead before getting clear at 400m and nailing the last furlong. He was then a close second in the Group 1 Cox Plate (2040m) a fortnight later, saving himself from an awkward jump to get in a nice position and look like the winner at the turn. He was just grabbed in the last few strides by Adelaide.
Fawkner is the only 2014 Melbourne Cup runner coming from the Cox Plate, which is the winning lead-up race for the past two years in a row. Green Moon, who finished seventh in the Cox Plate, went on to win the Melbourne Cup in 2012 while Fiorente finished third in the Cox Plate before winning the Cup in 2013.
With a harder and more rewarding preparation than last year’s Melbourne Cup, expect Fawkner to race much closer and be in it right at the finish.
Melbourne Cup Horse Form: #3 Fawkner
- Barrier: 9 (into 8)
- Weight: 57kg
- Jockey: Nicholas Hall
- Trainer: Robert Hickmott
- Owners: Mr N C Williams, Mr L J Williams, Mrs S J Williams
- Age: 7YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Reset from Dane Belltar
- Career: 25:10-5-3
- Win: 26%
- Place: 53%
- Last 6: x7x212
- Prize Money: $3,307,751
- Track: 11:5-3-1
- Distance: 1:0-0-0
- Current 2014 Melbourne Cup Odds: $7.50
Why Fawkner Can Win The 2014 Melbourne Cup
- Comes to the race in career best form after winning the Caulfield Stakes two starts back as well as finishing second in another two Group One races
- Looks to run a much closer race than last year in which he got a mile back and finished sixth
- Is already experienced in the track & distance after running in the Melbourne Cup 2013
- Has the most experience and best record at Flemington with five wins, three seconds, and one third from 11 starts
- Will get a good start from barrier 8 which has brought home five winners, the last of which was Viewed in 2008
- Trainer Robert Hickmott is well-versed in the Melbourne Cup with five attempts, winning the race in 2012 with Green Moon
- Hoop Nicholas Hall has ridden in five Cups, finishing 4th with Zipping in 2010
- Will enjoy riding with 57kg which is two kilos less than any of his three spring starts
- Is the only runner coming from the Cox Plate, which the last two Melbourne Cup winners have come from (Fiorente in 2013, Green Moon in 2012)
Why Fawkner Won’t Win The 2014 Melbourne Cup
- Ran out of petrol/was grabbed in the last few strides twice this season to finish in second place so could happen again in the Cup
- Too old? 5YO have dominated the race in the past (40 winners) and a 7YO hasn’t won since Makybe Diva in 2005
Overall, there aren’t too many factors working against Fawkner in the lead-up to the 2014 Melbourne Cup so if you think he can win the ‘race that stops the nation’ back him at Ladbrokes.com.au before his price shortens later in the day.
Fancy yourself a winner when it comes to picking race finishing orders? You could win $10 million at Ladbrokes.com.au for just $1 in the Ladbrokes MegaFecta. Simply pick the first seven finishers across the line in the Melbourne Cup and you’ll win the $10 million grand prize.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.