Phillip Stokes’ Sir John Monash Stakes winning...
Today is the last chance for punters to get behind their early picks for Saturday’s feature race, the 2013 Victoria Derby, before the final field for the three-year-olds’ classic is released at 10:00am (AEST) on Wednesday.
There are currently 24 horses nominated for this year’s $1.5 million Group 1 AAMI Victoria Derby (2500m), two of which are dominating early betting on the Melbourne Cup Carnival showdown.
- Complacent ($4) – Peter Snowden’s Authorized colt has been a hot Victoria Derby tip since their first-up win at Hawkesbury in a maiden back in early September, continuing to step up in class and live up to expectations beating them home in the Gloaming over 1800m and then winning the Group 1 Spring Champion Stakes (2000m) at Randwick on October 12, goes up in distance again but they all are for the Derby, needs to handle the opposite way of racing. Snowden must be confident however as he didn’t give them the blow-out in the Moonee Valley Vase on Cox Plate Day.
- Savvy Nature ($4.40) – Notable Derby firmer after the John O’Shea-trained Savabeel gelding scored a very nice Vase win over 2050m at Moonee Valley last Saturday, really did it easy there for their first victory since the Spring Stakes over the Newcastle mile back in September. Sandwiched between those wins were minor placings behind Complacent when second (Gloaming) and third (Spring Champion). Will they have the fitness edge after last Saturday? Or will the freshness get Complacent home again?
While those are the top two in the Victoria Derby odds, there are three other single figure fancies currently with:
- San Diego ($8) – Another Snowden-trained Derby hope, this Exceed And Excel colt won back-to-back races in March and has down their racing in Victoria, most recent effort was a second in the Norman Robinson Stakes over 2000m at Caulfield, and the experience in Melbourne could give them a nice advantage
- Polanski ($9) – Robbie Laing’s Norman Robinson Stakes winner shoots for their third on the trot having also won the Super Impose at Flemington giving them experience at the track ahead of Saturday, in flying form but which form line will stack up?
- Criterion ($9.50) – Sebring colt from the stables of David Payne, has been on the improve since an 11th to Saturday’s Coolmore Stud Stakes favourite Zoustar in the Golden Rose, ran second in the Stan Fox behind Eurozone then was second again this time to Complacent in the Spring Champion, definite place chance again with some luck
It’s a very open affair after those with the likes of the David Hayes-trained Surging Wave ($14), Cranbourne stayer Bring Something ($15), Snowden’s Geelong Classic runner-up Tupac Amaru ($16) and Norman Robinson third placed Epic Saga ($19) the next best in betting.
Stay tuned to Races.com.au to view the final Victoria Derby 2013 acceptances that close tomorrow morning at 10:00am (AEST).
The official Victoria Derby barrier draw will then be conducted from 12:30pm (AEST).
In the meantime get the above odds on your selections online at Ladbrokes.com.au – the online bookie set to offer an exclusive DOUBLE the fixed win odds offer on the Victoria Derby final field this weekend!
2013 Victoria Derby Odds
Flemington Racecourse – 02/11/2013
|TIPS AND BEERS||21.00|
|HONEY STEEL’S GOLD||61.00|
|THROW THE KING||61.00|
*Fixed Win odds are all-in, Top 20 only and subject to change @ Ladbrokes.com.au
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.