Veteran 10-year-old Ihtsahymn entered the...
The 2017 Adelaide Cup steals the show at Morphettville Racecourse this afternoon in South Australia, a detailed form guide analysis and betting preview on the Group 2 classic found below.
Due to run as Morphettville Race 7, this season’s $400,000 Group 2 Adelaide Cup (3200m) field is down to 19 runners after the official 2017 Adelaide Cup Day Scratchings.
Updated Adelaide Cup odds online at Ladbrokes.com.au feature four single-figure fancies led by the Darren Weir-trained Lord Reims Stakes winner Master Of Arts ($4.50) who had a hurdle trial for his final lead-up.
There has also been money rolling in for the 58kg top weight Chance To Dance ($6), the Robert Hickmott-trained seven-year-old last seen running second to Northwest Passage in a 2500m black-type at Moonee Valley on February 17.
The other top fancies are the Darren Weir-trained De Little Engine ($7.50) and Annus Mirabilis ($7), but there could be value in a roughie shot like proven staying mare Kawabata ($19) or the imported Darabad ($14) racing first-up down under for Robbie Laing.
Below we take a look at the full 2017 Adelaide Cup form guide, betting history and race statistics to uncover any value in the markets this autumn.
2017 Adelaide Cup Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Adelaide Cup winner was the Lindsay Park-trained Purple Smile (2016) who came off a third at Moonee Valley, jumped from barrier 17 (of 17) carrying 53kg to victory as a $31 roughie in betting with Stephen Baster aboard
- The Lindsay Park stable chase back-to-back Adelaide Cup wins today with #17 Honey Steel’s Gold ($31) who is at the same outside price in betting as last year’s winner
- The previous Adelaide Cup winning jockeys with a ride this year are Clare Lindop on #4 Mail It In ($11) and Dean Holland on #20 Kawabata ($21)
- #1 Chance To Dance (58kg) is out to be the first Adelaide Cup top weight to salute since Capecover (57kg in 2010)
- The outside barrier (19) belongs this year to #7 Lord Van Percy ($19) coming off a Torney Cup fourth and Moonee Valley and who is also prepared by Darren Weir
- Last year’s winning barrier (17) belongs this year to #9 Tunes ($51) who was runner-up in the Adelaide Cup quinella last autumn
- Barriers 3 – 9 have produced 7 of the past 10 Adelaide Cup winners; those gates belong today to: #1 Chance To Dance (3), #17 Honey Steel’s Gold (4), #8 Mujadale (5), #2 Master Of Arts (6), #12 Annus Mirabilis (7), #13 Chestnut Charlie (8) and #20 Kawabata (9)
- The Lord Reims Stakes is the key lead-up race into the Adelaide Cup in recent history producing three of the past 10 winners with Rialya (2nd in 2012) the most recent
- Rialya (2012) was also the last locally-trained Adelaide Cup winner
- #2 Master Of Arts ($4.50) chases the Lord Reims Stakes – Adelaide Cup double in 2017
- The other Lord Reims Stakes graduates in the mix this year are: Puccini (2nd), Jim’s Journey (3rd), Mail It In (4th), Tunes (7th) and Exalted Lightning (10th)
- Nine out of the past 10 Adelaide Cup winners came off a black-type race
- Favourites have a poor recent record in the Adelaide Cup results and along with Purple Smile ($31 in 2016) other roughies to get up include Norsqui ($25 in 2013) and Tanby ($15 in 2015)
- Both Tanby (2015) and Purple Smile (2016) came off a Moonee Valley lead-up run; that Adelaide Cup form holds in 2017 for Moonee Valley graduates #1 Chance To Dance (2nd) and #7 Lord Van Percy (4th) who come off a Torney Cup run
- Five of the past 10 Adelaide Cup winners came off a Melbourne lead-up run
- Zavite (Launceston Cup, 2009) was the last Adelaide Cup winner to come off a lead-up win
- Along with #2 Master Of Arts the other last start winners in the field are: #17 Honey Steel’s Gold (Marong Cup, 2200m, Bendigo, 18/02/2017) and #20 Kawabata (Benchmark 70, 3065m, Warrnambool, 23/02/2017)
- No Adelaide Cup winner in the past 10 years has run worse than fifth in the lead-up
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #2 Master Of Arts (35%) followed by #1 Chance To Dance (27%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #4 Mail It In (69%) followed by #1 Chance To Dance (65%) and #2 Master Of Arts (60%)
- The previous winners at the track (Morphettville) are: #5 Jim’s Journey (17-5-1-3), #9 Tunes (18-3-3-2), #13 Chestnut Charlie (13-3-1-1), #2 Master Of Arts (2-2-0-0), #17 Honey Steel’s Gold (4-2-0-1) and #4 Mail It In (15-1-4-3)
- The previous placegetters over the distance (3200m) are: #17 Honey Steel’s Gold (5-2-1-1), #10 Like A Carousel (9-0-2-1), #6 De Little Engine (3-0-0-1) and #9 Tunes (4-0-1-0)
Stay tuned for our insider Adelaide Cup 2017 tips and in the meantime check out the full race form guide below courtesy of Ladbrokes.com.au.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.