The money continues to roll in for Annabel...
The featured Eagle Farm race on the program this Saturday for the final Brisbane Winter Racing Carnival meeting is the 2016 Stradbroke Handicap, a comprehensive form guide and betting preview for which can be found below.
Set to run as the penultimate event on the Eagle Farm 10-race card this weekend, the $1.5 million Group 1 AAMI Stradbroke Handicap (1400m) features a full 18 runners.
Leading Stradbroke Handicap betting at Ladbrokes.com.au at a current quote of $3.60 to salute for the punters for the first time since Black Piranha for his first back in 2009 is the Ciaron Maher-trained mare Azkadellia.
Maher won the Stradbroke last year with fellow mare Srikandi and chases successive victories in Queensland’s richest race this time with recent Queen Of The Turf Stakes winner in Sydney Azkadellia.
So will the four-year-old improve on her Doomben 10,000 second last time out and succeed?
She is the firming top fancy but there’s also money coming in the Stradbroke Handicap odds for the likes of Darren Weir’s last start The Goodwood winner Black Heart Bart ($5.50) who is charged with carrying the 58kg top weight, as well as Chris Waller’s smart three-year-old colt Counterattack ($7).
Below is the full Stradbroke Handicap form guide, betting history and statistical facts to help you uncover where the value is at in the classic this year.
2016 Stradbroke Handicap Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Stradbroke Handicap winner was the Ciaron Maher-trained Srikandi (2015) who came off a sixth in the Doomben 10,000 and jumped from barrier one (of 15) with Kerrin McEvoy aboard the 11/1 shot
- Ciaron Maher (2-1-0-1) returns shooting for back-to-back Stradbroke Handicap wins this year with the favourite and market mover #5 Azkadellia ($3.60)
- The other previous Stradbroke Handicap winning trainers with a runner in 2016 are: Lee Freedman (15-1-2-1) who saddles-up #3 Malaguerra in partnership with Lee Freedman, John Sadler (1-1-0-0) with #11 Charmed Harmony, and John Hawkes (35-1-2-0) who trains #15 Kaepernick in partnership with his sons Michael and Wayne
- Last year’s winning jockey Kerrin McEvoy (10-1-1-0) is back after another winning Stradbroke Handicap ride aboard #4 Music Magnate ($9)
- The other previous Stradbroke Handicap winning jockeys with a ride on Saturday are: Damien Oliver (12-1-1-1) on #5 Azkadellia, Tye Angland (1-1-0-0) on #10 Hooked and Jason Taylor (12-1-0-0) on #17 Takedown
- Last year’s winning barrier (1) has produced a total of three Stradbroke Handicap winners (since 1983) and is drawn this year by #16 Artlee ($21)
- The most successful Stradbroke Handicap barrier in that time with a total of four winners is the outside alley 18 drawn this year by #13 Precious Gem ($41)
- Two of the past four Stradbroke Handicap winners came off a last start win with Linton (2013) and River Lad (2014) both winning in Group 3 company in the lead-up
- There are seven last-start winners in the field this year with: #1 Black Heart Bart (Group 1 The Goodwood, 1200m, Morphettville, 21/05/2016), #3 Malaguerra (Group 1 BTC Cup, 1200m, Doomben, 14/05/2016), #4 Music Magnate (Group 1 Doomben 10000, 1350m, Doomben, 28/05/2016), #12 Counterattack (Group 3 Fred Best Classic, 1350m, Doomben, 21/05/2016), #13 Precious Gem (Group 1 Robert Sangster Stakes, 1200m, Morphettville, 07/05/2016), #15 Kaepernick (Listed Ortensia Stakes, 1100m, Scone, 14/05/2016) and #18 The Virginian (CG&E Class 1, 1200m, Gold Coast, 21/05/2016)
- The Doomben 10,000 has produced five of the past 10 Stradbroke Handicap winners including Srikandi (6th in 2015) last year
- Along with the winner #4 Music Magnate the other Doomben 10,000 graduates in the Stradbroke Handicap field this winter are: Azkadellia (2nd), Charlie Boy (3rd), Delectation (4th), Hooked (7th) and Two Blue (9th)
- Just one Stradbroke Handicap favourite has saluted since Private Steer (2003) with Black Piranha (2009); this year’s favourite out to buck the trend is #5 Azkadellia
- Three mares in the past 10 years have beaten home the boys in the Stradbroke Handicap including Srikandi (2015); the mares in the mix this year are: #5 Azkadellia, #13 Precious Gem and roughie hope #14 Two Blue ($81)
- Six-year-olds have won five of the past eight editions of the Stradbroke; the 6YOs looking to continue the trend in 2016 are: #8 Sacred Star ($61), #9 Big Money ($67), #11 Charmed Harmony ($61) and #13 Precious Gem ($41)
- No Stradbroke Handicap winner has carried more than 55.5kg to victory since Show A Heart (56kg in 2002); that rules out #1 Black Heart Bart (58kg), #2 Delectation (57kg) and #3 Malaguerra (56kg) this year
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #18 The Virginian (67%) who has had just three career starts followed by #3 Malaguerra (56%) and #4 Music Magnate (50%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #5 Azkadellia (93%) followed by #4 Music Magnate (92%), #7 Under The Louvre (75%) and #1 Black Heart Bart (73%)
- The previous winners at the Eagle Farm track are: #8 Sacred Star (2-1-0-0), #9 Big Money (2-1-1-0) and #10 Hooked (3-1-0-0)
- The horses with the best record over the distance (1400m) are: #11 Charmed Harmony (11-8-2-0), #1 Black Heart Bart (9-5-3-0), #4 Music Magnate (3-3-0-0), #13 Precious Gem (7-3-1-1), #5 Azkadellia (4-2-2-0), #3 Malaguerra (5-2-0-0), #8 Sacred Star (9-2-1-0) and #10 Hooked (8-2-0-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our exclusive Stradbroke Handicap 2016 betting tips to be published shortly.
In the meantime see below for a full form guide on the race courtesy of Ladbrokes.com.au – home of the best Group 1 racing odds over the carnival season.
2016 Stradbroke Handicap Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.