Sunday at the Sunshine Coast sees the postponed...
Trainer Peter Moody has had a lot of luck on his side in regards to the 2014 Caulfield Cup.
Lidari earned a spot on the field in the final hours following the early withdrawal of UK mare My Ambivalent, while first emergency Brambles was guaranteed a start when Gris Caro was scratched on Thursday due to injury.
Both of his runners also did well in the barrier draw, with Lidari earning a start from barrier four and Brambles from 11. However they’ll each actually start one gate in following the scratchings of Gris Caro (3) and Bande (10).
So the question remains – can Moody’s luck translate to a win in the $3 million Group 1 Crown Golden Ale Caulfield Cup? And is Lidari the horse to win it for him?
The five-year-old’s recent form is good, despite not taking out a win since March in the Group 2 Blamey Stakes (1600m). He just missed out on third in the Group 2 Dato Tan Chin Nam Stakes (1600m) after being interfered with at the turn and also missed out on a placing in the Group 1 Underwood Stakes (1800m).
Lidari has yet to win a Group One race but came very close his last time out in the Group 1 Turnbull Stakes (2000m). He looked a real hope but was run down late in a strong effort by Lucia Valentina, finishing just half a length in second.
The horse opened the Caulfield Cup betting market at Ladbrokes.com.au with a price of $17 but has seen a lot of support following the scratching of Bande and is now third-favourite at $9.50.
Caulfield Cup Horse Form: #14 Lidari
- Barrier: 4 (into 3)
- Weight: 5kg
- Jockey: Ben Melham
- Trainer: Peter Moody
- Owners: O T I Management P/L, Bobbin Along, Leedareee, Glenlogan Park, Dycer Racing, Mr L A Reichelt, Mr J C Higgins, Jackss, Uthmeyer Racing, Werrett Bloodstock Pty Ltd, The Golden Greeks Racing
- Age: 6YO
- Gender: Horse
- Breeding: by Acclamation (GB) from Laxlova (FR)
- Career: 24:7-3-3
- Win: 29%
- Place: 54%
- Last 6: 0X5442
- Prize Money: $545,485
- Track: 4:1-0-0
- Distance: 3:2-0-0
- Current 2014 Caulfield Cup Odds: $9.50
Why Lidari Can Win The 2014 Caulfield Cup
- Will get a great start from barrier 4 (into 3)
- Is in-form following a fast-finishing second in the Turnbull Stakes
- The Turnbull Stakes is the best lead-up race for the Caulfield Cup (2013 winner Fawkner and third Dear Demi both came from the Turnbull)
- Proven winner over the distance (2/3)
- Ideal weight at 53.5kg since light weight chances have a good recent record (winners in both 2010 and 2011 carried 52.5kg to victory)
- Will have a fast run after decrease in weight to 53.5kg (was 55.5kg in Turnbull, 59kg in Underwood and Feehan)
- Ideal age to win it with 6YOs winning 7 times since 1983
Why Lidari Will Miss Out On A 2014 Caulfield Cup Win
- Already lost to Lucia Valentina last time out
- Hasn’t won a race since March and has never taken out a top level race
- Has a low Win Rate compared to others on the field
- Hasn’t run 2400m distance since July 2012 and never in Australia
Lidari has received a lot of support from punters to win the 2014 Caulfield Cup. If you think he can do it, you’ll find the best odds at Ladbrokes.com.au.
For just $3 you could win $3,000,000 this Caulfield Cup Day. Just pick the winners of each 8 feature races in the Ladbrokes Mega Pick and you’ll win the $3 million prize money if you get them all right.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.