Sunday at the Sunshine Coast sees the postponed...
The Clarry Conners-trained Dear Demi is one of just three guaranteed mares in the 2014 Caulfield Cup field, though she sits in good company. Lucia Valentina is the favourite for the $3 million race while Rising Romance has proven successful over the top level of racing.
So it begs the question, can the girls take out the Group 1 Crown Golden Ale Caulfield Cup (2400m) this Saturday? And can Dear Demi be the mare to do it?
She’s already proven successful in the Caulfield Cup, taking out third place in the race last year, and looks to be in a better position ahead of this year’s race. Not only will she get a better start from a lower gate, she’s in better form following a win in the Group 2 Stocks Stakes (1600m) and runner-up in the Group 2 Let’s Elope Stakes (1400m).
However she did falter her last time out in the Group 1 Caulfield Stakes (2000m) after a strong run that saw her with a chance around the turn before disappointing late, which could mean she’s not suited to the longer distance this time round.
Dear Demi drew barrier 13, however she’ll likely jump from 11 with Jim Cassidy in the saddle. She has stayed at mostly the same odds in the Caulfield Cup betting market at Ladbrokes.com.au, currently offering $17.
Caulfield Cup Horse Form: #12 Dear Demi
- Barrier: 13 (into 11)
- Weight: 5kg
- Jockey: Jim Cassidy
- Trainer: Clarry Conners
- Owners: Strawberry Hill Stud
- Age: 5YO
- Gender: Mare
- Breeding: by Dehere (USA) from Shirley
- Career: 37:7-6-7
- Win: 19%
- Place: 54%
- Last 6: 8X5217
- Prize Money: $2,140,850
- Track: 5:0-1-2
- Distance: 3:0-1-1
- Current 2014 Caulfield Cup Odds: $17
Why Dear Demi Can Win The 2014 Caulfield Cup
- Proven success over track/distance having already finished third in last year’s Caulfield Cup
- In-form following a Group Two win and second placing in September
- Drew barrier 13, which has produced three winners since 1983
- Is running at one of the most successful ages considering 5YOs have won 6 times since 1983
- Will start from a much better gate than last year (18) in which she managed to finish third
- Will enjoy a trip carrying less weight (down from 57 to 54.5kg) which will be lightest run all season
Why Dear Demi Can’t Win the 2014 Caulfield Cup
- Disappointed her last time out with a 7th place finish despite strong start
- Has yet to win over the same track or distance as the Cup despite numerous attempts
- Will carry 1.5kg more than last year’s Cup, in which she came third so might struggle
- Considered more of a place getter than winner, so may still come home in the money
Do you think Dear Demi has what it takes to win the Caulfield Cup 2014? Back the mare at Ladbrokes.com.au today.
Create your online betting account today to take part in the Ladbrokes.com.au Caulfield Cup Day Mega Pick for just $3. All you have to do is correctly pick the winners across the day’s 8 feature races and you’ll win $3 million!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.