There was no love for Tofane in Saturday’s...
The richest race on the Rosehill Guineas Day program in Sydney this Saturday is the 2014 George Ryder Stakes, the Races.com.au team’s comprehensive form and betting preview for which can be found right here.
Headlining proceedings as Rosehill Race 7 at 4:00pm (AEST), the 15-horse field for this year’s $1 million Group 1 George Ryder Stakes (1500m) is a beauty.
George Ryder Stakes odds are currently led by three of Chris Waller’s four chances in the race, the $3 favourite being his star mare Red Tracer.
Drawn in barrier 13 the six-year-old daughter of Dane Shadow is the market mover and out to improve on a luckless third when nearly falling at the start of the Group 1 Canterbury Stakes (1300m) a fortnight ago.
Another dual winner from Waller’s stables is then the $6 second fancy, last start Chipping Norton champ Boban ($6) before the reigning Doncaster Mile champ Sacred Falls ($7) rounds out the top three.
But can Waller dominate again and score his fourth George Ryder Stakes win in five years?
To save you time scrolling over the George Ryder Stakes form guide and betting history we’ve done the hard work for you and come up with the below must know facts on the weight-for-age classic.
2014 George Ryder Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s George Ryder Stakes winner was the Gai Waterhouse-trained Pierro who won the race on the back of wins in the Hobartville Stakes and Canterbury Stakes, jumped from barrier 7 (of 12) and was ridden by Nash Rawiller
- This year Waterhouse will shoot for back-to-back win with her returning French import #11 Tres Blue ($31)
- Last year’s winning jockey Rawiller meanwhile has the ride on Waller’s roughie shot #3 My Kingdom Of Fife ($41) from gate 14
- Last year’s winning barrier 7 then belongs this year to #10 Ninth Legion ($61), the gate producing four George Ryder Stakes winners since 1983
- #10 Ninth Legion is prepared by the other most successful George Ryder Stakes winning trainer (since 1983) John Hawkes who, like Chris Waller, has had three wins from 15 starts; he now trains in partnership with his sons Michael and Wayne Hawkes
- The most successful George Ryder Stakes barriers in that time have been one and six with six wins a piece; on Saturday these gates belong to #15 Eurozone ($10) and #6 Speediness ($21) respectively
- Prior to Pierro (2013) the other three most recent George Ryder Stakes winners were all prepared by Waller with Metal Bender (2012), Rangirangdoo (2011) and Danleigh (2010)
- This year Waller’s four chances are: #12 Red Tracer ($3), #1 Boban ($6), #4 Sacred Falls ($7) and #3 My Kingdom Of Fife ($41)
- It is hard to draw a form line for a lead-up race to the George Ryder with the past 10 winners coming via seven different races
- The Canterbury Stakes however has provided the past three winners with Pierro (2013), Metal Bender (2012) and Rangirangdoo (2011)
- This year’s Canterbury Stakes winner Appearance has since been retired but there are a number of George Ryder winners coming via the race including: #12 Red Tracer (3rd), #4 Sacred Falls (4th), #5 Toydini (5th), #13 Streama (6th), #6 Speediness (7th) and #3 My Kingdom Of Fife (10th)
- There are four last start winners in the mix this year with #1 Boban (Group 1 Chipping Norton Stakes, 1600m, Warwick Farm, 08/03/2014), #7 Fat Al (Listed Yalumba Golden Mile, 1600m, Bendigo, 15/03/2014), #8 Lidari (Group 2 Blamey Stakes, 1600m, Flemington, 08/03/2014) and #9 Terravista (Group 3 Liverpool City Cup, 1300m, Warwick Farm, 08/03/2014)
- Those horses coming back in distance for the George Ryder are historically at an advantage with six of the past 10 winners dropping back in distance from runs in the Chipping Norton Stakes, Australian Cup, Randwick Guineas and the Ranvet Stakes all run over a mile (1600m)
- Three of the past 10 George Ryder Stakes favourites have saluted for the punters most recently Pierro (2013) last year; this year the favourite is #12 Red Tracer ($3)
- #12 Red Tracer is out to become the first filly or mare to win the George Ryder Stakes since Heat Of The Moment (1986); Patezza (2005) came close when second before her Doncaster win that year as a $16 shot
- The only other mare in the mix this year is #13 Streama ($11)
- The George Ryder Stakes hopeful with the best Win Rate this year is #9 Terravista (75%) followed by #1 Boban (43%), #4 Sacred Falls (44%), #12 Red Tracer (44%), #15 Eurozone (44%) and #14 El Roca (43%)
- The highest Place Rate then belongs to #9 Terravista (88%) followed by #14 El Roca (86%), #12 Red Tracer (82%), #13 Streama (72%), #2 Gordon Lord Byron (68%), #8 Lidari (67%) and #15 Eurozone (67%)
- At Rosehill the horses with the best track record are #12 Red Tracer (10-4-4-0), #15 Eurozone (4-2-0-0), #1 Boban (1-1-0-0), #5 Toydini (3-1-0-0), #10 Ninth Legion (6-1-1-0), #13 Streama (8-1-1-2) and #14 El Roca (1-1-0-0)
- Over the distance (1500m) the ones to beat look to be #5 Toydini (2-2-0-0), #10 Ninth Legion (3-1-1-0), #13 Streama (4-1-0-1) and #15 Eurozone (1-1-0-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our George Ryder Stakes betting tips to be published shortly.
In the meantime if you’re ready to bet get the right price by doing it online at Ladbrokes.com.au where you’ll find the best weekend betting offers and the Ladbrokes Card system giving you your winnings in CASH seconds after payout!
2014 George Ryder Stakes Field & Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.