There was no love for Tofane in Saturday’s...
Following the release of the Melbourne Cup 2013 field and barrier draw ahead of the iconic handicap running at Flemington Racecourse on Tuesday, November 2, here the Races.com.au crew take a look at the comprehensive form guide and betting preview on the ‘race that stops a nation’.
Melbourne Cup Field Basics:
- There are 24 runners in the Melbourne Cup field
- The race is worth $6.2 million
- It holds Group 1 status
- Is run over a traditional Cup distance of two miles (3200m)
- Runs as Flemington Race 7 on the first Tuesday of November at 3:00pm (AEST)
This year the early favourite in Melbourne Cup betting post-barrier draw is the Gai Waterhouse-trained Fiorente at $7.50, or a juicy $15 for punters that bet online at Ladbrokes.com.au in their ‘Double The Odds’ markets.
Runner-up in the race 12 months ago in their Australian debut, the imported Monsun stallion has been in top form this spring carnival including their last start third to Shamus Award in the Cox Plate.
They were a big winner with the barriers yesterday too coming up trumps with gate five.
The next best in betting at an easing price of $8.50 is then Luca Cumani’s international raider Mount Athos, star Aussie hoop Craig Williams with work to do from out wide in gate 22.
They do meet Fiorente a kilo better in the weights however carrying 54kg, the same weight they had when making their Aussie debut last year to finish fifth to Green Moon.
There’s also early money on other Melbourne Cup fancies Dandino ($11) who was runner-up in the Caulfield Cup last start, Alain de Royer Dupre’s Prix Kergorlay winning mare Verema ($12) out to become the third French-trained Melbourne Cup winner since 2010, stablemate of last year’s champ Sea Moon ($15) and Irish St Leger winner Voleuse De Coeurs ($15).
That’s what the Melbourne Cup odds, all available at double their prices only at Ladbrokes.com.au, have to say but the markets aren’t the only place to look for this year’s Melbourne Cup tips.
In order to place a well-informed Melbourne Cup bet with the best chance of paying out on Tuesday it’s also important to study the Melbourne Cup form, history and statistics.
But don’t worry, we’ve done all that for you to come up with the below must know Melbourne Cup facts and stats.
2013 Melbourne Cup Form Facts & Betting Stats
Last Year’s Form Says…
- Last year’s Melbourne Cup winner was the Lloyd Williams-owned, Robert Hickmott-trained Green Moon who jumped from barrier five (of 24), was ridden by Brett Prebble, came off a Cox Plate seventh and carried 54.5kg
- This year Williams and Hickmott are back with six chances, #2 Green Moon ($34) included; they are joined by: #4 Sea Moon ($15), #10 Fawkner ($19), #11 Mourayan ($126), #12 Seville ($17) and #14 Masked Marvel ($31)
- Last year’s winning jockey Brett Prebble is back aboard Green Moon, the duo drawn this year in gate 10 with three kilos more (57.5kg)
- Green Moon comes via the Cox Plate again this year running ninth
Cox Plate Form Says…
- Along with the defending champ #2 Green Moon (9th) the other 2013 Melbourne Cup hopes coming via the Cox Plate are #6 Fiorente (3rd), #7 Foreteller (4th), #13 Super Cool (5th), #12 Seville (6th) and #14 Masked Marvel (13th)
Caulfield Cup Form Says…
- 11 Caulfield Cup winners have backed up to win at Flemington the following month most recently Ethereal (2001)
- This year’s Caulfield Cup winner out to make it a dozen is #10 Fawkner ($19)
- Last year’s winning barrier (5) belongs this year to #6 Fiorente ($7.50) who is the favourite due to be ridden by Damien Oliver
- Barrier 11 is the most successful in Melbourne Cup history with 7 previous winners and belongs this year to #16 Royal Empire ($21)
- Barrier 4 is the most successful in the past 30 years and belongs this year to #8 Dandino ($11)
- Barrier 18 is the only Melbourne Cup barrier yet to produce a winner and belongs this year to #18 Hawkspur ($20)
- Horse #1 Dunaden ($41) is drawn in barrier one, #13 Super Cool ($51) is in 13, #18 Hawkspur ($20) in 18 and #24 Ruscello ($51) in 24
- For more on the 2013 Melbourne Cup Barriers follow the link.
Win and Place Rates Say…
- The best Win Rate belongs to Caulfield Cup winner #10 Fawkner (45%) followed by #4 Sea Moon (43%), #5 Brown Panther (41%) and #23 Tres Blue (40%)
- The highest Place Rate is then 85% which belongs to #16 Royal Empire followed by #17 Voleuse de Coeurs (77%), #10 Fawkner (75%), #1 Dunaden (71%), #4 Sea Moon (71%), #23 Tres Blue (70%), #8 Dandino (69%), #24 Ruscello (67%), #4 Brown Panther (65%) and #13 Super Cool (64%)
Last Start Winners Are…
- 11 of the past 19 Melbourne Cup winners came off a last-start victory
- There are seven last start winners in the field this year with: #4 Sea Moon (Group 2 Herbert Power Stakes, 2400m, Caulfield, 12/10/213), #10 Fawkner (Group 1 Caulfield Cup, 2400m, Caulfield, 19/10/2013), #17 Voleuse De Coeurs (Group 1 Irish St Leger, 2816m Curragh, Ireland, 15/09/2013), #20 Ibicenco (Group 3 Geelong Cup, 2400m Geelong, 23/10/2013), #21 Verema (Group 2 Prix Kergorlay, 3000m, Deauveill, France, 18/08/2013), #23 Tres Blue (Group 2 Prix de Deauville, 2500m Deauville, France, 25/08/2013) and #24 Ruscello (Group 3 Lexus Stakes, 2500m, Flemington, 02/11/2013)
Flemington Records Say…
- Horses with a previous win at the track are: #1 Dunaden (2-1-0-0), #2 Green Moon (7-3-1-0), #7 Foreteller (3-1-0-0), #10 Fawkner (9-5-2-1), #11 Mourayan (12-1-2-0), #13 Super Cool (3-1-1-0) and #22 Dear Demi (5-1-1-0)
- Horses without a previous run at Flemington are then: #5 Brown Panther, #8 Dandino, #16 Royal Empire, #1 Voleuse de Coeurs, #19 Simenon, #21 Verema and #23 Tres Blue
Over the Two Miles…
- Horses with a previous win or place over the distance are: #1 Dunaden (2-1-0-0), #2 Green Moon (1-1-0-0), #3 Red Cadeaux (5-0-2-1), #5 Brown Panther (1-1-0-0), #6 Fiorente (1-0-1-0), #11 Mourayuan (3-1-0-1), #17 Voleuse de Coeurs (2-2-0-0), #19 Simenon (6-2-1-1), #20 Ibicenco (2-1-0-0) and #21 Verema (1-0-0-1),
- Those yet to step up to 3200m are then: #4 Sea Moon, #7 Foreteller, #8 Dandino, #10 Fawkner, #12 Seville, #13 Super Cool, #14 Masked Marvel, #16 Royal Empire, #18 Hawkspur, #22 Dear Demi, #23 Tres Blue and #24 Ruscello
- Previous Melbourne Cup winning jockeys with a ride in 2013 are: Brett Prebble (#2 Green Moon), Chistophe Lemaire (#21 Verema), Gerald Mosse (#3 Red Cadeaux), Corey Brown (#13 Super Cool), #, Michael Rodd (#14 Masked Marvel), Damien Oliver (#6 Fiorente), Kerrin McEvoy (#16 Royal Empire), Chris Munce (#22 Dear Demi) and Jim Cassidy (#18 Hawkspur)
- Previous Melbourne Cup winning trainers with a starter in 2013 are: Robert Hickmott (#2 Green Moon, #4 Sea Moon, #10 Fawkner, #11 Mourayan, #12 Seville, #14 Masked Marvel); Mikel Delzanges (#1 Dunaden); Alain de Royer-Dupre (#21 Verema); Mark Kavanagh (#13 Super Cool) and Michael Moroney (#17 Voleuse De Coeurs)
Melbourne Cup Betting on Favourites…
- Only two Melbourne Cup favourites have won in the past 15 years with Makybe Diva (2004 and 2005)
- In total over the 152-year Melbourne Cup history 32 favourites have saluted for the punters
- The shortest-priced Melbourne Cup favourite in history to win was Phar Lap (8-1) in 1930
- There have been three triple figure roughies to win the Melbourne Cup with The Pearl (100-1 in 1871), Wotan (100-1 in 1936) and Old Rowley (100-1 in 1940)
- The longest-priced Melbourne Cup winner in recent years was Viewed (40-1 in 2008)
- This year’s favourite is #6 Fiorente ($7.50)
Multiple Melbourne Cup Winners…
- There have been five horses to win more than one Melbourne Cup with: Makybe Diva (2003, 2004, 2005), Think Big (1974, 1975), Rain Lover (1968, 1969), Peter Pan (1932, 1934) and Archer (1861, 1862)
- This year there are two previous Melbourne Cup winners with: #1 Dunaden (2011) and #2 Green Moon (2012)
11th Hour Entry…
- Eight horses have won the Lexus Stakes on Derby Day and backed up to win the Melbourne Cup most recently Shocking (2009)
- #24 Ruscello ($51) only just snuck into the Melbourne Cup field this year winning the Lexus and is out to become the ninth
The Right Age Is…
- Four and five year olds boast the equal best record in the Melbourne Cup with 43 wins each
- Four-year-olds in the field this year are: #13 Super Cool, #18 Hawkspur, #22 Dear Demi and #23 Tres Blue
- Five-year-olds in the field this year are: #9 Ethiopia, #16 Royal Empire, #17 Voleuse De Coeurs, #21 Verema and #24 Ruscello
- Only two eight-year-olds have won in history with Toryboy (1865) and Catalogue (1938)
- Eight-year-olds in the field this year are: #1 Dunaden, #3 Red Cadeaux and #11 Mourayan
- Next worst age to be is seven with only four wins in the past 30 years
- Seven-year-olds in the field this year are: #2 Green Moon, #7 Foreteller, #8 Dandino, #15 Mount Athos and #19 Simenon
Saddlecloth Numbers Say…
- Saddlecloth number one is the most successful with 12 Melbourne Cup winners: #1 Dunaden ($41) carries the cloth this year
- Next best are 4 and 12 with 11 wins: this year they will be worn by #4 Sea Moon ($15) and #11 Mourayan ($126)
- Topweights have a poor record in the race with Makybe Diva (2005) the only topweight to salute since Rising Fast (1954)
- #1 Dunaden (58.5kg) is out to be the next
Not From Here?
- There have been five internationally-trained Melbourne Cup winners (from outside of Australia and New Zealand) with: Vintage Crop (1993), Media Puzzle (2002), Delta Blues (2006), Americain (2010) and Dunaden (2011)
- This year the nine overseas-trained runners are: #1 Dunaden, #3 Red Cadeaux, #5 Brown Panther, #8 Dandino, #15 Mount Athos, #16 Royal Empire, #19 Simenon, #21 Verema and #24 Ruscello
- History shows that of the 152 Melbourne Cup winners 86 had a single-word name; this year that works in favour of: #1 Dunaden, #6 Fiorente, #7 Foreteller, #8 Dandino, #9 Ethiopia, #10 Fawkner, #11 Mourayan, #12 Seville, #18 Hawkspur, #19 Simenon, #20 Ibicenco, #21 Verema and #24 Ruscello
- Horses with two-word names have won 61 times; this year the dual-worded titles belong to: #2 Green Moon, #3 Red Cadeaux, #4 Sea Moon, #5 Brown Panther, #13 Super Cool, #14 Masked Marvel, #15 Mount Athos, #16 Royal Empire, #22 Dear Demi and #23 Tres Blue
- Only three triple-word named horses have succeeded; this year that rules out #17 Voleuse de Coeurs
- The most successful Melbourne Cup winning silk colour with 17 wins is black; this year the only horse whose jockey will wear predominantly black is #6 Fiorente ($7.50)
- Next best are navy (15) and royal blue (14); this year that works for the Lloyd Williams-trained sextet with: #2 Green Moon, #4 Sea Moon, #10 Fawkner, #11 Mourayan, #12 Seville and #14 Masked Marvel
Use your new found Melbourne Cup knowledge to place your bets on the classic clash online at Ladbrokes.com.au and enjoy locking in double the fixed win odds on the field!
2013 Melbourne Cup Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.