The punters are coming for the Joe Pride-trained...
The highly-anticipated Melbourne Cup barrier draw 2013 has been determined with early favourite Fiorente drawing ideally in barrier five for trainer Gai Waterhouse shooting for her maiden win in the ‘race that stops a nation’.
Waterhouse’s other chance in the $6.2 million Group 1 Emirates Melbourne Cup (3200m), French import Tres Blue, didn’t fare as well coming up with an awkward gate 20 draw.
Also a European expat, Fiorente was runner-up in the Melbourne Cup for their Australian debut 12 months ago and had been sharing top spot in the markets for this year with Luca Cumani’s Mount Athos.
However with Mount Athos, fifth last year, drawing out wide in gate 22, the Melbourne Cup betting markets are sure to be firmly in favour of Waterhouse’s galloper to buck the trend of horses returning for a second shot at the world’s richest handicap.
Barrier five is also the barrier Green Moon jumped from to win last year.
Below we take a look at some of recent Melbourne Cup barrier statistics and which horses have drawn the best and worst historically speaking.
Notable 2013 Melbourne Cup Barriers and Runners:
- Barrier 4 – #8 Dandino the Marco Botti-trained Caulfield Cup runner-up drawn in the most successful Melbourne Cup barrier in the past 30 years
- Barrier 11 – #16 Royal Empire for international racing powerhouse Godophin drawn in the most successful in history with 7 wins, last in 2010 (Americian)
- Barrier 7 – #4 Sea Moon for owner Lloyd Williams, shooting for successive Melbourne Cup victories, the barrier has only had one Melbourne Cup winner in the 152 runnings of the race back in 1924 (Backwood)
- Barrier 15 – #7 Foreteller for Chris Waller has also drawn a nasty barrier stat-wise with just one Melbourne Cup winner to jump from it back in 1973 (Gala Supreme)
- Barrier 13 – #13 Super Cool for Mark Kavanagh has drawn Duanden’s winning barrier from 2011, horse 13 in 13 for the superstitious punters
- Barrier 18 – #18 Hawkspur in the only Melbourne Cup barrier yet to produce a winner since gates were introduced in 1924, can Waller’s Queensland Derby winner buck the trend?
- Barrier 24 – #24 Ruscello only snuck into the field at the 11th hour winning the Lexus Stakes on Derby Day, and from barrier 24 has work to do
Also drawn out wide are the likes of Clarry Conners’ Caulfield Cup third placed mare Dear Demi (16) who was second in the Mackinnon Stakes today, Peter Moody-trained Geelong Cup winner Ibicenco (17) and Sydney Cup winner Mourayan (19).
Owner Lloyd Williams had better luck with Caulfield Cup winner Fawkner who drew gate eight, Masked Marvel in gate six and The Metropolitan winner Seville in nine.
Former Melbourne Cup winner Duanden from two years ago jumped from a barrier 13 to win but has the rails draw this year with the last Melbourne Cup champion from that gate being in 1990 when the mighty Kingston Rule set the Melbourne Cup race record.
The 2013 Melbourne Cup barrier draw is sure to see a change in the Melbourne Cup betting markets, so make sure you head over to Ladbrokes.com.au and check out the latest odds on all the runners.
2013 Melbourne Cup Barrier Draw & Field
Flemington Race 7 – 02/11/2013
|1||DUNADEN (FR)||Mikel Delzangles||Jamie Spencer||1||58.5kg||118|
|2||GREEN MOON (IRE)||Robert Hickmott||Brett Prebble||10||57.5kg||116|
|3||RED CADEAUX (GB)||Ed Dunlop||Gerald Mosse||23||56.5kg||114|
|4||SEA MOON (GB)||Robert Hickmott||Steve Arnold||7||56.5kg||114|
|5||BROWN PANTHER (GB)||Tom Dascombe||Richard Kingscote||6||55kg||112|
|6||FIORENTE (IRE)||Gai Waterhouse||Damien Oliver||5||55kg||113|
|7||FORETELLER (GB)||Chris Waller||Craig Newitt||15||55kg||112|
|8||DANDINO (GB)||Marco Botti||Ryan Moore||4||54.5kg||112|
|9||ETHIOPIA||Pat Carey||Ryhs McLeod||14||54.5kg||109|
|10||FAWKNER||Robert Hickmott||Nick Hall||8||54.5kg (inc 1.5kg penalty)||112|
|11||MOURAYAN (IRE)||Robert Hickmott||Breton Avdulla||19||54.5kg||110|
|12||SEVILLE (GER)||Robert Hickmott||Hugh Bowman||9||54.5kg (inc 1.0kg penalty)||110|
|13||SUPER COOL||Mark Kavanagh||Corey Brown||13||54.5kg||113|
|14||MASKED MARVEL (GB)||Robert Hickmott||Michael Rodd||2||54kg||108|
|15||MOUNT ATHOS (IRE)||Luca Cumani||Craig Williams||22||54kg||109|
|16||ROYAL EMPIRE (IRE)||Saeed Bin Suroor||Kerrin McEvoy||11||54kg||109|
|17||VOLEUSE DE COEURS (IRE)||Michael Moroney||James McDonald||21||54kg||113|
|18||HAWKSPUR||Chris Waller||Jim Cassidy||18||53.5kg||110|
|19||SIMENON (IRE)||William Mullins||Richard Hughes||12||53.5kg||107|
|20||IBICENCO (GER)||Peter G Moody||Luke Nolen||17||53kg (inc 1.0kg penalty)||107|
|21||VEREMA (FR)||Alain de Royer Dupre||Christophe Lemaire||3||53kg||110|
|22||DEAR DEMI||Clarry Conners||Chris Munce||16||51kg||108|
|23||TRES BLUE (IRE)||Gai Waterhouse||Tommy Berry||20||51kg||110|
|24||RUSCELLO (IRE)||Ed Walker||Chad Schofield||24||50kg||80|
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.