The countdown to the Sydney Spring Racing...
Today the feature race of the two-day Scone Cup Carnival will take centre stage in NSW with the Scone Cup 2013 set to run as Race 7 at 4:02pm (AEST) and to help you back the winners in a wide open field below are the exclusive Races.com.au team’s Scone Cup betting tips.
Following four official scratchings a full field of 16 starters will take to the track this afternoon for the $200,000 Listed Emirates Park Scone Cup (1600m), the favourite of which is the Tony McEvoy-trained Adelaide raider Mouro.
The consistent Grand Slam four-year-old, imported from Europe earlier this year, has been in ace form down under winning three of their six assignments in Australia including the Listed Rowley Mile (1600m) at Hawkesbury last start on May 4.
With Rowley Mile runner-up and the main danger Beaten Up scratched from the Scone race in favour of a run in the Group 1 Doomben Cup (2000m) at Brisbane tomorrow, the Scone Cup markets suggest a number of horses could take this out.
The other single-figure fancies include Peter Snowden’s defending champ Raspberries ($8) who comes into this in similar form as 12 months ago, the Gai Waterhouse-trained Epsom Handicap winner Fat Al ($9) who has to overcome the 61kg topweight, Peter Moody’s Group 2 Emancipation Stakes runner-up Floria ($9) and John Sargent’s Exceed And Excel four-year-old Cathay Lady ($9.50) who was third in the Emancipation.
With so many genuine hopes in the mix it can be hard to separate the pretenders from the real contenders, so check out our selections for the Scone Cup below.
#6 Raspberries ($8)
- Drawn for a big run from that gate
- Forgive her Emancipation Stakes seventh, will be ready to improve on that here as she was wide without cover
- Similar form coming into this race to win 12 months ago
- Snowden after his third Scone Cup victory on the trot
- May not have won in eight starts but has been finishing off well
#2 Firebolt ($12)
- Nice price for this Chris Waller-trained seven-year-old
- Stable is on fire and horse should be fitter second up after their run in the Hall Mark (8th to Rarefied)
- Winner of the Tatt’s Mile over the 1600m at Eagle Farm before their lengthy 10 month spell in Brisbane and looking to return to that ace winter form here
- Also has form around Solzhenitsyn when second in both the Lord Mayor’s Cup and Strawberry Road Handicap over the mile so the trip looks ideal
- Gate four brings them right into this and if they settle then they will finish off strongly
#12 Floria ($9)
- Savabeel mare prepared by Moody races second-up after an eye-catching second in the Emancipation
- That was over a mile so second up over the distance this NZ import should be ready to strike
- Last win was March last year in NZ but that was over the 1600m
- Jumped from 10 (of 11) last start and has six in this so expect improvement, which she doesn’t need much of to snare a top three spot
Whether you’re taking us up or taking us on with our 2013 Scone Cup betting tips you’ll get the guaranteed best prices online now at bookmaker.com.au – home of the country’s premier range of Fixed Win horse racing odds.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.