Veteran 10-year-old Ihtsahymn entered the...
A field full of unknowns will take to the Flemington track this Saturday for the VRC Sires’ Produce Stakes 2013, betting selections and tips for the two-year-olds’ feature found below.
The $220,000 Group 2 Henry Bucks Sires’ Produce Stakes (1400m), set to run as Newmarket Handicap Day Race 3 at 1:20pm (AEST), will be contested by a full field of 16 starters.
Two of the three first emergencies have already gained a start for the weekend following the early scratchings of #3 Lannister and #13 San Diego who drew horribly with barrier 17 and 18 respectively.
Current favourite in the VRC Sires Produce Stakes odds is Weinholt at a quote of $4.80, the Peter Moody-trained Stratum colt coming off a blistering seven length victory at Ballarat.
Other single figure fancies in the mix then include Bjorn Baker’s Testa Rossa filly Twilight Royale ($6.50) who won the Inglis Premier last time out by a tidy margin, the Danny O’Brien-trained Snitzel colt Shamus Award ($7) who will appreciate dropping back in class off a Blue Diamond Stakes fifth, Adelaide raider Gamblin’ Guru ($7) who won on debut at their home track two weeks back, and the David Hayes-trained Great Esteem ($7.50).
So will this year’s winner come from one of the shorter priced hopefuls in the markets? Or is an upset on the cards as is common in these juvenile showdowns from one of the double figure outsiders such as Rutherglen ($12) who won by three lengths at Newcastle last start or even Group 3 winner from the Melbourne Cup Carnival Direct Charge ($31)?
#2 Shamus Award ($7)
- Snitzel colt waiting for their time to shine after being thereabouts in some good company
- Finished third in their opening three career starts behind Crack A Roadie in the Inglis Banner Stakes, Direct Charge in the Group 3 HKJC Maribyrnong Plate and Metastasio in the Listed Chairman’s Stakes
- Showed improvement each time and overcome a couple of wide draws to finish in the money
- Will enjoy barrier three here with Nicholas Hall to ride
- Also set to relish the drop back in class having run a credible fifth to Miracles Of Life in the Group 1 Blue Diamond Stakes over the 1200m last time out
#15 Twilight Royale ($6.50)
- Nice price for this Sydney filly who won the Inglis Premier by 2.5 lengths last start
- Form on that race could be key here
- Carried 58kg to a very close second behind Everage the run before that on a Heavy (10) at Rosehill so can handle weight and wet
- Will have improved on her last run the Melbourne way of going
#1 Direct Charge ($31)
- Way over the odds for us as a Group 3 winner from the spring
- Three runs into their career took out the HKJC Maribyrnong Plate but have failed in their three runs since
- Their Inglis Classic third wasn’t bad in Sydney however and they were only just off the better ones when fifth in the Blue Diamond Prelude last start
- Should be fresh now and get back to the track where they scored their only win to date here – Flemington – which will play into their hand
Like our VRC Sires Produce Stakes betting tips? Or think you’ve got a different set of selections picked out?
Visit the country’s leading online sportsbook bookmaker.com.au and bet with confidence knowing they are 100 percent Australian owned and operated.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.