The countdown to the Sydney Spring Racing...
There is more than one classic Derby taking place in Australia for punters to sink their teeth into this Saturday, one being the 2012 WATC Derby in Perth, the Races.com.au team’s exclusive form guide preview and betting tips for which can be found right here.
While in Sydney all the attention will be on the 2012 Australian Derby offering a total prize pool of $1.5 million, WA’s Ascot Racecourse will host a three-year-olds’ feature of their own with the $400,000
Schweppes W.A.T.C. Derby (2400m) to run as Race 7 at 4:15pm (WA time).
So what can punters expect, who’s in this field and where is the money at in the WATC Derby odds at bookmaker.com.au?
There are 14 three-year-olds engaged in the lucrative Western Australian clash and there are a number of them fighting for favouritism in the markets.
Currently winning the battle is Pop Culture ($6), the in-form Colin Webster-trained filly out to secure the WA Oaks – WATC Derby won by fellow filly Dreamaway 12 months ago.
The money is coming hard and fast for the daughter of Blackfriars too as her price has been slashed from $6.50 into $6 in recent days.
“A large bet on Pop Culture has pushed his (sic) price into $6,” Ryan Clark from bookmaker.com.au said.
There are dangers looming however and plenty of them should Pop Culture fail to back up against the boys from her wide barrier 10 draw.
The biggest threats and fancies for the WATC Derby 2012 include one-time favourite JC Roberts Stakes winner Rohan who has eased out from $6 to $6.50, the Michael Moroney-trained Victorian visitor Flashy Fella ($6.50), Melvista Stakes winner Lethal Jones ($6.50) and WA Oaks runner-up The Social Network ($7.50).
It’s hard to see the WATC Derby winner coming from outside these five, so what order should you back them for the trifecta? And is there a roughie in the mix the Races.com.au think could be worth a sneaky place bet?
2012 WATC Derby Form Guide Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s winner the then Grant Williams-trained Dreamaway came off four straight wins including the WA Oaks, jumped from barrier 11 with William Pike aboard
- This year #12 Pop Culture ($6) looks to secure the same WA Oaks – WATC Double and is also drawn wide in 10
- The winning barrier from last year (11) this year belongs to #13 The Social Network ($7.50) coming off three second place finishes including behind Pop Culture in the WA Guineas
- Grant Williams vies for his second WATC Derby win on the trot this year with #14 Elite Belle ($14)
- Last year’s winning hoop William Pike also shots for gold again opting to partner #9 Rock Band ($12)
- #12 Pop Culture boasts the highest Win Rate of the field by far with 44.44% followed by #3 Rohan (33.33%)
- The best Place Percentages belong to #12 Pop Culture (88.89%) followed by #9 Rock Band (83.33%) and #1 Flag Officer (81.82%)
- Along with WA Oaks winner Pop Culture the other last-start winners in the field are #2 Flashy Fella (2000m, Caulfield, 24/03/2012) and #4 Lethal Jones (Listed Melvista Stakes, 2200m, Ascot, 31/03/2012)
- #12 Pop Culture is also one of three fillies looking to go back-to-back for the females along with #13 The Social Network and #14 Elite Belle
- Horses with the best Ascot record are #12 Pop Culture (5-3-2-0), #3 Rohan (7-2-0-1), #5 Uncle George (7-2-0-0), #6 Dash For Home (6-1-1-1), #4 Lethal Jones (5-1-1-0), #9 Rock Band (4-1-1-1) and #1 Flag Officer (6-1-2-1)
- #12 Pop Culture (1-1-0-0) is also the only horse to have won over the Derby distance before
2012 WATC Derby Trifecta Tip
Intriguing top three we know, but based on the facts and stats this is what we are tipping.
Pop Culture is the market mover and with good reason. The distance holds no fears, her form is superb and if she handles the boys and the barriers she wins easily.
Adding good value to the quinella is then Rock Band who Pike opted to ride, there’s a reason or that too we are guessing. Really liked the run in the Melvista even though they finished sixth, set for improvement.
Social Network is a perennial runner-up and there’s really not much between her and the top fancies but she just doesn’t know how to win!
Get our exclusive WATC Derby tips down at the best prices now at bookmaker.com.au – home of Quickbet technology – the fastest way to bet on the net!
2012 WATC Derby Field & Form Guide
Ascot Race 7 – 4:15pm – 14/04/2012
|1.||FLAG OFFICER||P H Jordan||Craig Staples||8||56.5||3yoG||14||$14,768||11: 3 4 2||27.27%||81.82%||023125|
|2.||FLASHY FELLA||M D Moroney||Jacob Noonan (a)||2||56.5||3yoG||21||$8,866||10: 2 1 2||20.00%||50.00%||414721|
|3.||ROHAN||Vaughn Sigley||G L Smith||4||56.5||3yoC||14||$10,181||9: 3 0 1||33.33%||44.44%||149113|
|4.||LETHAL JONES||Lou and Dion Luciani||Jason Whiting||7||56.5||3yoG||14||$8,514||11: 2 2 0||18.18%||36.36%||4×1271|
|5.||UNCLE GEORGE||F W Maynard||Shaun Meeres||13||56.5||3yoG||14||$14,071||7: 2 0 0||28.57%||28.57%||117089|
|6.||DASH FOR HOME||C H Webster||J NOSKE||12||56.5||3yoG||14||$10,071||7: 2 1 1||28.57%||57.14%||x13264|
|7.||REIGN OF TERROR||N D Parnham||Steven Parnham||1||56.5||3yoG||14||$5,257||9: 1 2 2||11.11%||55.56%||9×3992|
|8.||DRIVE WEST||J J Miller||Peter Hall||5||56.5||3yoG||14||$3,788||10: 1 2 0||10.00%||30.00%||252140|
|9.||ROCK BAND||D L Morton||William Pike||6||56.5||3yoG||14||$4,500||6: 1 2 2||16.67%||83.33%||322136|
|10.||SOUTHERN DRAWL||H S Mclaren||Paul King||9||56.5||3yoG||14||$1,508||15: 1 0 4||6.67%||33.33%||940050|
|11.||CALIFORNIA DUDE||G E Daly||Chad Davies||3||56.5||3yoG||10||$3,338||8: 1 2 2||12.50%||62.50%||323412|
|12.||POP CULTURE||C H Webster||Troy Turner||10||54.5||3yoF||14||$31,578||9: 4 4 0||44.44%||88.89%||112121|
|13.||THE SOCIAL NETWORK||L Smith||Peter Knuckey||11||54.5||3yoF||7||$8,866||11: 1 5 2||9.09%||72.73%||396222|
|14.||ELITE BELLE||Grant Williams||Paul Harvey||14||54.5||3yoF||14||$10,780||5: 1 1 1||20.00%||60.00%||41243|
*Form Guide Credit – Ladbrokes.com.au
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from bookmaker.com.au and subject to change
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.