The countdown to the Sydney Spring Racing...
All the money this weekend in Sydney is on Winx to win her 15th on the trot, the odds are hardly better than bank interest and still the punters are coming for the glamour mare, but what does the historical data say about the favourites in Chipping Norton Stakes 2017 betting?
The Chris Waller-trained champion has nine Group 1 victories on the board to date, including taking out the $600,000 Group 1 Chipping Norton Stakes (1600m) last autumn.
Her lead-up form is the same – a blitzing Apollo Stakes win – and she has stellar form at both Randwick Racecourse and over the mile.
The latest Chipping Norton Stakes odds at Ladbrokes.com.au have the superstar at a prohibitive price of $1.12 – or $1.14 in the Enhanced Odds markets (Max Bet $100 / T&Cs apply).
Hartnell is again racing for second and the John O’Shea-trained galloper pays $8 to score an upset, the six-year-old the only other Chipping Norton Stakes horse under double-figures.
Even O’Shea admits Hartnell won’t be winning the race unless something were to go seriously wrong with the defending champion.
To help work out if the freakish Winx is as sure a thing as the markets suggest let’s look over the Chipping Norton Stakes statistics on how the favourites have fared in recent history.
2017 Chipping Norton Stakes History: How The Favourites Have Fared
- From 1983 – 2016 the favourites saluted in 18 of the 34 editions of the weight-for-age showdown
- In that time the best run of the punters’ picks was eight straight from 1998 – 2005
- Four of those wins came from Tie The Knot (1999-2002) who won four times on the trot as the favourite for the punters
- Three Chipping Norton Stakes favourites have won in the past four years including Contributer ($2.50 in 2015) and Winx ($1.30 in 2016)
- Winx started at $1.30 for her win last year and on Saturday will be the shortest-priced to jump in the race in over 50 years on Saturday
- Of the 34 Chipping Norton Stakes winners from 1983 – 2016 only one saluted at double-figures when He’s No Pie Eater saluted at a massive price of $81 in 2007
- Since 1983 eleven favourites jumped under $2 in Chipping Norton Stakes betting and only Danewin (4th at $1.70 in 1996) finished worse than third
- In that time a total of eight favourites ran outside the top three in the Chipping Norton Stakes results
- Court’s In Session (8th at $3.50 in 2006) produced the worst result of a favourite (since 1983)
- Research ($2.30 in 1989) is the only favourite to run third (since 1983)
- Five in that time crossed for second to finish off the Chipping Norton Stakes quinella
- Think Winx is the one to beat and deserves her short price in Chipping Norton Stakes 2017 betting? Back her now online at Ladbrokes.com.au!
Chipping Norton Stakes Favourites: Results (Since 1983)
|Finishing Place||How The Favourites Fared|
|1||WINX ($1.30), CONTRIBUTER ($2.50), SHOOT OUT ($4), TUESDAY JOY ($1.90), GRAND ARMEE ($1.90), STARCRAFT ($2.10), LONHRO ($1.25), TIE THE KNOT ($2.25), TIE THE KNOT ($2.50), TIE THE KNOT ($2.50), TIE THE KNOT ($1.90), ENCOUNTER ($1.80), PHARAOH ($3.25), SUPER IMPOSE ($1.50), DR. GRACE ($2.30), OUR WAVERLEY STAR ($1.80), EMANCIPATION ($2), DALMACIA ($2)|
|2||IT’S A DUNDEEL ($1.90), RANGIRANGDOO ($2.75), TUESDAY JOY ($3.25), DESERT WAR ($2.90), JUGGLER ($1.90)|
|4||BEAU ZAM ($3.25)|
|5||MELITO ($3), RISING PRINCE ($3.50)|
|6||PINKER PINKER ($2.30), DANEWIN ($1.70), BEECHCRAFT ($2.60)|
|7||WESTERN RED ($3.75)|
|8||COURT’S IN SESSION ($3.50)|
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.