Phillip Stokes’ Sir John Monash Stakes winning...
This Tuesday the Ciaron Maher-trained Caulfield Cup winner Jameka lines-up in the 2016 Melbourne Cup field, but can she complete the coveted Spring Cups double?
The last horse to win the Caulfield Cup and then back-up directly into the ‘race that stops a nation’ and head the Melbourne Cup results was the Kiwi-trained mare Ethereal (2001).
Now four-year-old Myboycharlie mare Jameka is out to be the next after her three length romp home in the Group 1 Caulfield Cup (2400m) on October 15.
She is looking to be the first mare to win the $6.2 million Group 1 Emirates Melbourne Cup (3200m) since the mighty Makybe Diva (2005) posted her record third straight win in the two mile classic.
Jockey Nicholas Hall continues his association with the $3.67 million earner with Jameka going up from 52.5kg last start a Melbourne Cup weight of 54.5kg.
If successful, she’ll be the heaviest weighted Melbourne Cup winning four-year-old mare since Light Fingers (52.5kg in 1965).
Maher chases his first ‘Loving Trophy’ with his stable star and is confident Jameka has what it takes to be the 2016 Melbourne Cup winner on Tuesday after she came up trumps with barrier three.
“It’s perfect,” he told the media regarding Jameka’s Melbourne Cup barrier draw.
“The weight is what it is and the race has sort of changed complexion over the last period of time and is a lot more condensed.
“And to try to make comparisons 10 years ago, the race is a lot different now.
“She is a big strong horse and I think 54 and half is a handicap and it’s going to have some affect on her but how much, who knows and we’ll see on Tuesday.”
So will Jameka salute at Melbourne Cup odds of $8.50 and turn the tables on the favourite Hartnell ($5) who beat her home in the Turnbull Stakes by the big margin two back?
2016 Melbourne Cup Horse Form #12 Jameka
Jockey: Nicholas Hall
Trainer: Ciaron Maher
Owner/s: Mr C L Maher, Halo Racing Services Pty Ltd, Mrs J M Mckenna, Mr D F Degenhardt, Mr T A Cole-Sinclair, Mr M R Fallon, Mr G M Verdoorn, Mr S Priestley, Mrs S Cockram, Mr M V Mills, Ms J L Nolte
Breeding: by Myboycharlie (IRE) from Mine Game
Last 6: x47121
Prize Money: $3,670,725
Current 2016 Melbourne Cup Odds: $8.50
Why Jameka Can Win the 2016 Melbourne Cup
- Maher has described her Melbourne Cup barrier 3 as “perfect” and the last winner from the gate was Media Puzzle (2002)
- She is a classy dual Group 1 winner having amassed over $3.67 million in prize money
- She put three lengths on her closest rival to win the Caulfield Cup in emphatic fashion last start
- She won the Group 1 Crown Oaks as a three-year-old last Melbourne Cup Carnival
- Can handle the Flemington track (6-2-1-0)
- Wears the No. 12 saddlecloth number that has produced 11 Melbourne Cup winners – the most successful along with No. 4
Why Jameka Can’t Win the Melbourne Cup 2016
- She goes up from 52.5kg to 54.5kg in the Melbourne Cup weights and would need to set a new weight carrying record for a four-year-old mare in the race to win
- Hartnell beat her home by 3.25 lengths two back in the Turnbull Stakes and she faces him worse in the weights on Tuesday
- Nicholas Hall is yet to ride a Melbourne Cup winner
- Ciaron Maher is yet to train a Melbourne Cup winner
- Mares have a poor recent record in the Melbourne Cup results with the champion Makybe Diva (2003-05) the last to beat the boys in the classic
- Only two four-year-olds have won the Melbourne Cup since 2001
- She is yet to step out over the two mile distance
- Ethereal (2001) was the last Caulfield Cup – Melbourne Cup double winner in the same season
- She is Australian-bred and in the past 15 years only two Australian-bred horses have won the Melbourne Cup
Think Jameka has what it takes to overcome the weight and win the world’s richest handicap? Back her now at Ladbrokes.com.au and enjoy Odds Boost on the Melbourne Cup betting markets!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.