Joe Pride‘s red-hot favourite Eduardo was...
Hartnell remains on top of 2016 Melbourne Cup betting markets after he finished second behind Winx in the Cox Plate at Moonee Valley this afternoon.
Hartnell was no match for Winx in the final stages of the Cox Plate – she almost effortlessly put eight lengths on her rivals to record the most dominant Cox Plate win in history – but Hartnell was still able to tough it out to the line to finish second.
The Cox Plate has been a key form reference for the Melbourne Cup in recent years and Hartnell is now available at Melbourne Cup odds of $4.60 to deliver Godolphin their first ever win in ‘the race that stops a nation’.
The Caulfield Cup is always the other key Melbourne Cup form guide and Jameka is on the second line of betting at a quote of $6.50.
Jameka was beaten by Hartnell in the Group 1 Turnbull Stakes (2000m), but she was nothing short of outstanding in the Caulfield Cup and has a genuine chance of becoming the first horse to complete the Caulfield Cup/Melbourne Cup double since Ethereal in 2001.
Lloyd Williams can never be ruled out in a Melbourne Cup and his leading chances in the 2016 edition of the race look to be Almandin and Bondi Beach, who are both available at a quote of $10.
Almandin recorded his maiden win in Australia when he took out the Listed Harry White Classic (2400m) at Caulfield on September 24 and he earnt himself as place in the Melbourne Cup with his victory in the Group 3 The Bart Cummings (2500m) at Flemington on October 2.
Bondi Beach failed to fire in the Melbourne Cup last year, but he took out the Listed Martin Molony Stakes (2514m) and Group 3 Vintage Crop Stakes (2816m) in Ireland earlier this year and he looks the perfect style of horse for the Melbourne Cup.
Other key horses in the 2016 Melbourne Cup betting market with Ladbrokes.com.au include:
- Heartbreak City ($11) – Heads into the Melbourne Cup on the back of a most impressive victory in the Ebor Handicap.
- Big Orange ($15) – Ran very well in the Melbourne Cup last year and has goes to another level in 2016 with wins in the Princess Of Wales Stakes and the Goodwood Cup.
- Scottish ($15) – He finished second behind Jameka in the Caulfield Cup, but is no certainty to back-up in the Melbourne Cup.
- Exospheric ($17) – Hit the line strongly to finish third in the Caulfield Cup and has the right pattern for the Melbourne Cup.
- Wicklow Brave ($17) – Upstaged the talented Order Of St George to win the Irish St Leger and he has been working the house down in quarantine at Werribee.
- Almoonqith ($19) – Returned to his best form with a lovely Melbourne Cup trial in the Caulfield Cup and he is a proven performer at 3200 metres.
It has already been a very big Spring Racing Carnival with [ladbrokes} and there is plenty more to come with the leading online bookmaker as we head towards the Melbourne Cup!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.