There was no love for Tofane in Saturday’s...
This Saturday in Brisbane the 2014 Doomben 10,000steals centre stage, the Races.com.au’s exclusive form guide and betting analysis for the weight-for-age classic detailed below.
Set to run as Doomben Race 8 at 3:40pm (AEST) this year’s $650,000 Group 1 James Boag’s Premium Doomben 10,000 (1350m) features a start studded field of 11 hopefuls.
Following yesterday’s Doomben 10,000 barrier draw the firming favourite in the Ladbrokes.com.au markets now into $3.90 to win is the Robert Heathcote-trained Buffering.
Drawn ideally for their racing style and the likely pace of the clash in barrier eight with regular rider Damian Browne in the saddle, the Mossman six-year-old is shooting for their fourth Group 1 win.
If successful it will also be their maiden elite level win in front of an eager home crowd, Buffering having won dual Group 1s in Melbourne before their Winterbottom success in Perth during the spring.
They were the beaten favourite last time out in the BTC Cup but have been treated for a sore neck since and look fighting fit for the rematch this weekend.
Their biggest dangers looking at the Doomben 10,000 odds are then Sydney raider Rebel Dane ($4.40) in their Queensland debut and BTC Cup runner-up Spirit Of Boom ($4.80).
Also in the mix at juicer odds are the likes of upset BTC Cup winner Famous Seamus ($8) in barrier three as they seek another Group 1 in the sunshine state and the John O’Shea-trained Knoydart ($10) for Darley.
That’s what the bookies are saying but what about the Doomben 10,000 form guide and betting history?
Is there value betting against the favourite? To find out below are the must know Doomben 10,000 facts and stats so you can back a winner online at Ladbrokes.com.au in the big one this weekend.
2014 Doomben 10,000 Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Doomben 10,000 winner was the Peter Snowden-trained Epaulette who won the race on the back of a sixth in the Group 1 All Aged Stakes (1400m) in Sydney the month before, jumped from barrier four (of 15) and was ridden by Kerrin McEvoy
- This year Darley will shoot for successive wins with new trainer O’Shea saddling up #8 Knoydart ($10) coming off a Group 3 second in Sydney and who will be ridden by last year’s winning hoop McEvoy from barrier six which has produced just the one winner since 1983
- Last year’s winning barrier (4) this year belongs to #3 Temple Of Boom ($12) who will be ridden by apprentice hoop Tegan Harrison
- The most successful Doomben 10,000 barrier since 1983 with six winners meanwhile is the inside alley which belongs this year to #9 Scream Machine ($26)
- The only barrier in that time with no winners is 11 with #6 Conservatorium ($26) out to break the hoodoo on Saturday
- Former favourite #4 Rebel Dane ($4.40) this year comes via the same race that produced Epaulette 12 months ago having finished fifth in the All Aged Stakes four weeks ago
- The only last start winner in the mix is then #7 Famous Seamus ($8) who beat home fellow 10,000 hopes Spirit Of Boom (2nd), Buffering (3rd), Temple Of Boom (4th), Peron (5th) and Hot Snitzel (6th)
- Two have achieved the BTC Cup – Doomben 10,000 double #7 Famous Seamus is out for this year with Apache Cat (2009) and Sea Siren (2012)
- #1 Buffering ($3.90) is favourite for Saturday out to become the fifth to salute for the punters in the since 2008 and the first since Sea Siren (2012)
- 2014 is also the third year on the trot Buffering runs in the 10,000 following his 2nd in 2012 and 3rd last year
- Four-year-olds have a poor record here with only one, Undue (2006), saluting in the last 10 years; this year #4 Rebel Dane, #8 Knoydart, #10 Driefontein and #11 Peron are out to be the next
- The best Win Rate of the field belongs to #11 Peron ($21) followed by #4 Rebel Dane (43%), #1 Buffering (37%), #10 Driefontein and #7 Famous Seamus (31%)
- The top Place Percentage then belongs to #8 Knoydart (83%) followed by #1 Buffering (73%), #11 Peron (69%) #4 Rebel Dane (57%), #2 Spirit Of Boom (56%) and #7 Famous Seamus (55%)
- Over the distance (1350m) horses with winning form are #11 Peron (6-4-0-0), #2 Spirit Of Boom (10-2-1-0), #4 Rebel Dane (5-3-1-0), #5 Hot Snitzel (6-1-1-0), #6 Conservatorium (7-3-2-1), #7 Famous Seamus (8-2-1-1), #8 Knoydart (6-2-0-2) and #10 Driefontein (7-1-1-1)
- At the track those with the best record are #1 Buffering (9-3-1-4), #11 Peron (4-2-0-1), #7 Famous Seamus (3-1-0-0) and #10 Driefontein (1-1-0-0)
- The only previous winner at the Track & Distance is then #11 Peron (2-2-0-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au to view our insider Doomben 10,000 tips and betting selections.
In the meantime get ready for the weekend by signing up with Ladbrokes.com.au now who will be offering Best Tote or SP + 20% on your Doomben 10,000 winnings!
2014 Doomben 10,000 Field & Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.