There was no love for Tofane in Saturday’s...
One of the headliners of the Sydney Autumn Racing Carnival is this Saturday’s 2014 The BMW on Golden Slipper Day, a detailed form guide analysis and must know betting facts on weight-for-age classic found right here.
This year’s $1.5 million Group 1 The BMW (2400m) runs as Rosehill Race 6 at 3:40pm (AEST) and will feature a smaller than usual final field.
Originally there were 11 acceptors for the showdown, however owner Lloyd Williams has withdrawn both of his runners Green Moon and Mourayan.
The in-form duo were withdrawn due to the likelihood of a soft track in Sydney on Saturday, neither galloper boasting encouraging form on Slow ground.
Of the nine remaining horses the clear favourite and market mover is Gai Waterhouse’s dual Cups champ Fiorente.
Drawn on the inside alley the $2.80 fancy is out to improve on a disappointing last start loss.
Despite being tipped as the one to beat in the Group 1 Ranvet Stakes (2000m) from March 22 based on their lead-up Australian Cup victory in Melbourne, the reigning Melbourne Cup winner could only manage to finish four lengths away seventh to Kiwi mare Silent Achiever.
They are tipped to turn the tables on the weekend however with jockey Damien Oliver sure to take them closer to the speed and aim to keep them out of the same early trouble that saw them fail to gain a clear run in the Ranvet.
In Australia the imported Fiorente has only seen Good going, however they have winning form on slow tracks in Britain from a couple of years ago and so have the ability to handle Rosehill with the give out of the ground here.
In a fairly open The BMW betting market the other single figure chances are then Ranvet Stakes winner Silent Achiever ($4) who ran second in this 12 months ago, fellow New Zealand-trained Group 1 champion It’s A Dundeel ($4.50) who’s Ranvet third needs improving on and Michael Moroney’s Irish St Leger winner Voleuse De Coeurs ($7.50).
History shows this race is capable of throwing up an upset however so the Races.com.au team have gone over The BMW field, form guide and past results to make sure you don’t miss a thing before placing your bets online at Ladbrokes.com.au.
2014 The BMW Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s The BMW winner was the Anthony Cummings-trained Fiveandahalfstar who came via a second in both the Australian Cup and Ranvet Stakes, jumped from barrier 6 (of 12) with Hugh Bowman aboard to defeat Silent Achiever by a long neck
- This year the reigning champ is not there to defend their title but last year’s runner-up Silent Achiever returns to go one better
- #9 Silent Achiever ($4) comes via the Ranvet again this year having improved on her fifth last autumn to win The BMW lead-up on the back of a Group 1 NZ Stakes win back home
- The next best Ranvet Stakes runner backing up in The BMW is third placegetter, #8 It’s A Dundeel ($4.50)
- Also coming via the Ranvet Stakes is The BMW favourite #1 Fiorente ($2.50) who ran a below par seventh
- #1 Fiorente is out to become the fourth The BMW favourite to salute for the punters in the past 11 years, the most recent being Fiveandahalfstar (7/2) last year
- Only two of the past 10 The BMW favourites have failed to run a place making #1 Fiorente a must place Each Way bet
- The other best lead-up race statistically has been the Australian Cup producing three BMW winners to go straight from it including Makybe Diva (2005) who completed the double
- Last year’s winning barrier six meanwhile belongs on Saturday to #5 Sertorius ($13), the gate producing three winners since 1983
- The most successful The BMW barrier in that time meanwhile has been four with five winners which belongs this year to #9 Silent Achiever ($4)
- The only barrier yet to produce a winner in the last 30 years is then three; this year #7 Angola will be out to break the hoodoo
- Along with Silent Achiever the other last start winner in the mix is then $61 roughie #7 Angola (Benchmark 90, 2100m, Sandown-Lakeside, 22/03/2014) in a major class rise
- The horse with the top Win Rate is #8 It’s A Dundeel (53%) followed by #9 Silent Achiever (38%), #10 Voleuse de Coeurs (33%), #1 Fiorente (32%) and #5 Sertorius (32%)
- The best Place Percentage then belongs to #8 It’s A Dundeel (76%) followed by #5 Sertorius (75%), #10 Voleuse de Coeurs (67%), #1 Fiorente (63%) and #9 Silent Achiever (58%)
- Over the distance those with a win are #5 Sertorius (2-2-0-0) followed by #9 Silent Achiever (4-1-1-0), #8 It’s A Dundeel (1-1-0-0), #1 Fiorente (6-1-2-0), #6 Brigantin (9-1-2-2) and #7 Angola (4-1-0-1)
- At the track those with the best Rosehill record are #3 Foreteller (7-3-0-0) followed by #8 It’s A Dundeel (3-1-0-0) and #9 Silent Achiever (4-1-1-0)
- There are no previous winners at the Track & Distance
Bookmark us here at Races.com.au to view our exclusive The BMW betting tips to be published shortly.
In the meantime if you’ve already got your own selections you want to lock in at unbeatable odds, visit our preferred online bookie Ladbrokes.com.au who payout their customers in cash seconds after their horse is past the post thanks to the Ladbrokes Card!
2014 The BMW Field & Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.