There was no love for Tofane in Saturday’s...
Over the years the Geelong Cup form has proven a handy one going into the iconic Melbourne Cup but in 2013 the bookies and punters have written off the Geelong Cup winner Ibicenco for Flemington Race 7 on Tuesday.
Peter Moody’s Shirocco stallion Ibicenco caught the eye when thriving in the mud to win the Group 3 Geelong Cup (2400m) on October 23.
They are one of the roughest in the latest markets for the $6 million Group 1 Emirates Melbourne Cup (3200m) however, the five-year-old at a current quote of $61 to upset their 23 rivals.
Drawn in gate 17 with Moody’s regular rider Luke Nolen in the saddle, Ibicenco has a great weight (53kg) but aren’t being rated as a genuine shot in the ‘race that stops a nation’.
So was their win only achieved because of the mud Geelong track?
Or is there more class there indicating value in adding Ibicenco to your Melbourne Cup trifecta tips this year?
#20 Ibicenco – Horse Facts
- Barrier: 17
- Weight: 53kg
- Jockey: Luke Nolen
- Trainer: Peter Moody
- Owners: O T I Management P/L, Glenlogan Park, Tripp Racing, Mr B Cooper, Mr P W Jones, Mr J C Higgins, Uthmeyer Racing, Mr T M Carroll, Mr D R Hannon, Mr T Booth, Mr G A Farley, Mr M T Tripp, Mr G T Ryan, Mr P J Bartholomew
- Age: 6YO
- Gender: Stallion
- Breeding: by Shirocco (GER) from Iberi (GER)
- Career: 21-4-3-2
- Win: 19%
- Place: 43%
- Last 6: 51801
- Prize Money: $601,608
- Track: 1-0-0-0
- Distance: 2-1-0-0
- Current 2013 Melbourne Cup Odds: $61
Why Ibicenco Can Run Top Three in the 2013 Melbourne Cup
- Barrier 17 isn’t disastrous on paper having produced two Melbourne Cup winners in the past 30 years
- Awesome light weight carrying only 53kg, they had 56.5kg to win the Geelong Cup
- Can handle all track conditions and are going to firm if there’s any rain at Flemington for the 153rd running of the Melbourne Cup
- Bodes well that they are one of the seven last start winners in the race as 11 of the past 19 Melbourne Cup winners also won their lead-up run
- Has good form over the two miles having run fifth in the Queensland Cup in the winter, and won the Listed Sandown Cup (3200m) when still prepared by Luca Cumani last spring
Why Ibicenco Isn’t Worth a Look for Melbourne Cup Exotic Bets
- Have drawn wide in barrier 17 which could be a bit wide
- Only have a 19% Win Rate
If you’re tipping the Geelong Cup form to stand up and surprise this Melbourne Cup Day then head to Ladbrokes.com.au and get on Ibicenco at their juicy odds.
Remember too that the entire Melbourne Cup field can be had at DOUBLE their fixed win odds when you chose the DTO markets only available at Ladbrokes.com.au!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.