Veteran 10-year-old Ihtsahymn entered the...
Chris Waller’s flying four-year-old Hawkspur has opened top of the markets for the 2013 George Main Stakes in Sydney this Saturday as they look to become a dual Group 1 winner on way to the Caulfield Cup in Melbourne next month.
A son of Purrealist, Hawkspur hit the big time last season in Brisbane when scoring an emphatic three length win in the Group 1 Queensland Derby (2400m).
This time in they resumed with a first-up Warwick Stakes seventh but improved when getting up to the mile for the Group 2 Chelmsford Stakes which they won by three and a half lengths over their Doomben Cup winning stablemate Beaten Up at Randwick on September 7.
This weekend they return to the track and distance for a shot at another elite level title, Hawkspur drawn in gate two with Jim Cassidy staying on for the $350,000 Group 1 George Main Stakes (1600m).
They’re well liked to do so too paying $2.90 in the latest George Main Stakes odds, which would see Cassidy celebrate a century of Group 1 wins.
It’s a wide open George Main Stakes betting market after that however with five of the remaining nine hopes under $10 with:
- #8 Royal Descent ($6.50) – Early market mover, Waller’s Australian Oaks winner is getting love from the punters for their third run this time in, first-up second in the Toy Show and Tramway third last time out, see mile for the first time this season which is going to suit and the 56.5kg under wfa is also a big advantage here
- #9 Dissident ($7.00) – Peter Moody-trained Sebring colt played the bridesmaid in all three of their runs this time in but keen to go from a runner-up to winner here carrying the 50.5kg lightweight of the field as the sole three-year-old, going up against older company for the first time but Golden Rose second last Saturday proved they have class
- #5 Sacred Falls ($7.50) – Another Waller-trained star, won the Doncaster in the mud back in April by a big margin, first-up fourth in the Tramway was also very good considering they had 60.5kg on their back, go down to 58.5kg here and should relish that
- #7 Streama ($8.50) – Guy Walter-trained Group 1 winning mare was runner-up in the Tattersall’s Tiara in the winter and came back at Warwick Farm on August 24 and did well for their second in the Group 2 Warwick Stakes (1400m), mile is pet distance so expect improvement
- #1 Shoot Out ($8.50) – Won this race 12 months ago but their form this year has been a little off as they returned with an 11th in the Tramway, Sydney mile on a descent track is where they do their best so if they can bounce back now as a seven-year-old could surprise
Rounding out the George Main Stakes field and odds are then Reset six-year-old Fawkner ($13) who was third to Black Caviar in the William Reid during the autumn, the Stephen Farley-trained Sincero out to improve on their Tramway 13th ($17) and talented Kiwi visitor Veyron ($17) winner of the Warwick Stakes before a ninth to Hawkspur in the Chelmsford marred their record.
Check out the latest prices below with links to our No 1 recommended betting agency Ladbrokes.com.au so you can back your early selections in a few simple clicks!
2013 George Main Stakes Odds
Royal Randwick Race 5 – 3:15pm (AEST) – 21/09/2013
|1||SHOOT OUT (7)||8.50|
|5||SACRED FALLS (8)||7.50|
|8||ROYAL DESCENT (3)||6.50|
*Fixed Win odds provided by Ladbrokes.com.au and subject to change
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.