Veteran 10-year-old Ihtsahymn entered the...
The big race in Sydney this weekend is the George Main Stakes 2013, the Races.com.au crew’s insider form guide analysis and betting preview for which is found below.
Held relatively early on the program, this year’s $350,000 Group 1 George Main Stakes (1600m) runs as Royal Randwick Race 5 at 3:15pm (AEST) and features a small but quality field of nine gallopers.
Current favourite in the George Main Stakes odd at a quote of $2.90 is the Chris Waller-trained Hawkspur who is also the top fancy for the 2013 Caulfield Cup in Melbourne next month.
A four-year-old son of Purrealist, the Queensland Derby winner was back to their best last start beating a similar class field over the same track and distance in the Group 2 Chelmsford Stakes (1600m) on September 7.
Two weeks between runs looks ideal and Jim Cassidy vies for his 100th Group 1 victory in this making Hawkspur a nice George Main Stakes bet.
As for their main dangers Waller has a stranglehold on the race with three other runners including the $6 second pick Royal Descent, the in-form Redoute’s Choice mare third to another stablemate Malavio in the Group 3 Tramway Stakes (1400m) here on the same day as the Chelmsford.
Other notable hopes then include the Peter Snowden-trained Golden Rose runner-up Dissident ($7), Waller’s Doncaster Mile winner Sacred Falls ($8), reigning champ Shoot Out ($8.50) and the Guy Walter-trained Streama ($9).
That’s what the George Main Stakes betting markets say but what about the race history, form guide and statistics?
Having gone over the full field and form below are our must know facts on the George Main to have you making the right selections at Ladbrokes.com.au this weekend.
2013 George Main Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s George Main Stakes winner was the Chris Waller-trained Shoot Out who won the race first-up from barrier four (of eight) with Hugh Bowman aboard
- #1 Shoot Out ($8.50) is back looking for successive wins this year having drawn gate seven (of nine) with Bowman in the saddle again
- There are no horses racing first-up in the race this year
- Waller will also have a chance at back-to-back George Mains saddling up #5 Sacred Falls ($8), #8 Royal Descent ($6) and the $2.90 favourite #6 Hawkspur
- #6 Hawkspur (Group 2 Chelmsford Stakes, 1600m, Randwick, 07/09/2013) is also the only last start winner in the race
- Favourites also have a great recent record in the race winning six of the past 10 editions and only two in that time failing to run a place
- Last year’s winning gate four meanwhile belongs this year to #9 Dissident ($7) and is the most successful George Main Stakes barrier in history producing six previous winners since 1983
- The other must successful barriers are then nine (five wins) and five (4 wins) which belong this year to #3 Veyron ($17) and #2 Sincero ($17) respectively
- Male horses hold the advantage historically in the race with the first mare to win since Ma Chiquita (1986) being More Joyous (2010); this year there are two mares out to break the hoodoo with #7 Streama ($9) and #8 Royal Descent ($6)
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs this year to #5 Sacred Falls ($8) with 63.64% followed by #3 Veyron (48.39%), and then #2 Sincero and #8 Royal Descent with 44.44%
- The best Place Percentages are then #8 Royal Descent (88.89%) and #9 Dissident (83.33%)
- #9 Dissident is out to become the first three-year-old to win since 2001; before that there were nine 3YO winners of the race from 1984 – 2001
- Horses in the race with the best Randwick record are #1 Shoot Out (10-4-1-0), #7 Streama (5-3-0-0) and #8 Royal Descent (3-2-0-1)
- Over the mile the best records then belong to #1 Shoot Out (9-4-1-1), #2 Sincero (4-2-0-0), #3 Veyron (12-5-3-0), #4 Fawkner (6-4-2-0) and #5 Sacred Falls (3-2-0-0)
- Previous winners at the Track & Distance are then #1 Shoot Out (5-2-1-0), #2 Sincero (3-1-0-0), #5 Sacred Falls (1-1-0-0), #6 Hawkspur (2-1-1-0) and #7 Streama (2-1-0-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider George Main Stakes 2013 betting tips to be published shortly.
In the meantime why not go with your gut and put down a dollar or two on your early selections online now at the best prices at Ladbrokes.com.au!
2013 George Main Stakes Field & Form Guide
Royal Randwick Race 5 – 3:15pm (AEST) – 21/09/2013
|1.||SHOOT OUT||C J Waller||Hugh Bowman||7||59||7yoG||14||$89,971||36: 10 5 6||27.78%||58.33%||x136x0|
|2.||SINCERO||S Farley||Brenton Avdulla||5||59||6yoG||14||$64,130||27: 12 1 1||44.44%||51.85%||1539×0|
|3.||VEYRON||Ms L M Laing||Christian Reith||9||59||8yoG||14||$26,831||31: 15 7 1||48.39%||74.19%||28×519|
|4.||FAWKNER||Robert Hickmott||Nicholas Hall||1||59||6yoG||14||$42,279||17: 8 3 2||47.06%||76.47%||12x3x7|
|5.||SACRED FALLS||C J Waller||Tommy Berry||8||58.5||4yoH||14||$147,244||11: 7 1 0||63.64%||72.73%||5521×4|
|6.||HAWKSPUR||C J Waller||Jimmy Cassidy||2||58.5||4yoG||14||$38,319||20: 7 6 0||35.00%||65.00%||611171|
|7.||STREAMA||G H Walter||Blake Shinn||6||57||5yoM||28||$68,510||25: 7 8 4||28.00%||76.00%||734322|
|8.||ROYAL DESCENT||C J Waller||Nash Rawiller||3||56.5||4yoM||14||$66,337||9: 4 2 2||44.44%||88.89%||211×23|
|9.||DISSIDENT||P G Moody||Tim Clark||4||50.5||3yoC||7||$58,500||6: 1 3 1||16.67%||83.33%||37×222|
*Form Guide Credit – Ladbrokes.com.au
*All odds quoted are Fixed Win from Ladbrokes.com.au and subject to change
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.