Explosive Jack was far too good for his rivals...
SYDNEY CARNIVAL 2011 The thoroughbred experience in Australia’s global city
19 March – 23 April 2011
Sydney is set for a blockbuster racing carnival this year as the best thoroughbreds compete for $18 million in prize money during the Sydney Carnival, held from 19 March – 23 April 2011.
Showcasing a transformed brand supported by major partners Racing NSW, Events NSW, Australian Turf Club (ATC), Inglis and TAB, Sydney Carnival brings together all that is thrilling in the glamorous and highly competitive world of thoroughbreds.
This high quality, high stakes and high fashion racing event provides an exciting day out for everyone – whether your focus be the world’s richest race for two year olds at Rosehill Gardens on AAMI Golden Slipper Day, the famous Inglis Australian Easter Yearling sale where local and international buyers bid for the next generation of champions, or the glamour of the 150th AJC Derby at Royal Randwick.
The first three weekends of the Carnival sees the action taking place at the home of the AAMI Golden Slipper, Rosehill Gardens.
Saturday 19 March
- The opening day of the Sydney Carnival, Myer Ladies Day is all about style and glamour. Turn trackside fun with your girlfriends into support for breast cancer awareness and research at the Pink Slipper Lunch. There’s pampering and giveaways for the ladies and while fashion reigns supreme in the Myer Fashions on the Field competition, out on the turf all eyes will be on Sydney’s richest race for fillies and mares, the Coolmore Classic ($600,000; 1500m) and the Ranvet Stakes ($400,000; 2000m; SWFA).
Saturday 26 March
- Rosehill Guineas Day is a chance for you and your mates to go racing on a relaxed but stylish day out. See the country’s finest thoroughbreds converge on Rosehill Gardens in search of success in the $500,000 Group 1 Rosehill Guineas ($500,000; 2000m; 3YO). Kids will love the interactive sporting activities on the track-front lawn; while sports buffs can book into the Racing & Sports lunch for a chance to rub shoulders with current stars of Australian sport. Be spotted in the crowd on the day for you and five mates to be upgraded to a fully catered for Open Terrace plus receive a $2000 TAB bet on the Rosehill Guineas.
Saturday April 2
- AAMI Golden Slipper Day is the racing event of the year featuring the world’s richest race for two-year-olds, the AAMI Golden Slipper ($3.5 million; 1200m; 2YO). The day is all about style, speed, and prestige as the best thoroughbreds battle it out for a slice of the richest day of racing on the Australian calendar. Also featuring The BMW ($2.25m; 2400m; weight-for-age). Sydney’s iconic thoroughbred experience is where racing legends are born and the fashion stakes reach fever pitch. Race-goers will be treated to an after-race concert by pop rock sensation
Attention then turns to the historic Newmarket stables in Randwick where the Inglis Australian Easter Yearling Sale will take place.
Tuesday April 5 – Thursday April 7
- The Inglis Australian Easter Yearling Sale draws the who’s who of thoroughbred royalty together each year to compete for the best bred yearlings in the Southern Hemisphere. Witness history in the making as Australian and international buyers bid for their selection of over 500 yearlings – the next generation of champions to grace the turf.
The final three Sydney Carnival events will be hosted at Royal Randwick, where key racing anniversaries will be celebrated, competition on and off the track will be fierce, and plenty of entertainment provided for adults and children alike.
Saturday April 9
- Royal Randwick kicks off with the illustrious David Jones Australian Derby Day. Dress in your finest black and white racing attire and help celebrate 150 years of the AJC Derby ($1.5million; 2400m) at Royal Randwick. Aside from an exhilarating nine Group race line-up with prize money in excess of $3.8 million, it’s also a huge day in the style stakes with the famous Fashions on the Field Competition set to whip Sydney’s fashion pack into a perfectly poised frenzy.
Saturday April 16
- Punters are guaranteed an exceptional day out at the highly anticipated Emirates Doncaster Day. It’s another blockbuster day at Royal Randwick with a premier racing line-up featuring the running of the 100th AJC Oaks ($550,000; 2400m) and the Emirates Doncaster Mile ($2million; 1600m) over Royal Randwick’s famous Randwick mile. There’s plenty of trackside entertainment throughout the day including a Punter’s Podium, Punters Club and a fashion spotting competition. Thanks to TAB, one lucky person will be given the chance to win a $50,000 bet on the Group 1 Emirates Doncaster Mile. Don’t miss out on one of Sydney’s leading sporting and social events of the year.
Saturday April 23 – Easter Saturday
- Enjoy the exhilarating atmosphere and vibrant action at the track on Easter Saturday for the grand finale of the Sydney Carnival at Royal Randwick. Schweppes Sydney Cup Day boasts top-class Group 1 racing, huge prize money, high fashion and an abundance of trackside entertainment for all to enjoy. Bring your friends, bring your family, and enjoy Easter Saturday at the track.
Racing NSW Chief Executive Peter V’landys says the new brand and united approach from all racing partners spearheaded by major funding partner Events NSW will transform the Sydney racing experience.
“The new look Sydney Carnival will bring an unprecedented thoroughbred experience to Sydney in 2011. A signature event on the 2011 NSW Events Calendar, the Carnival sits at the heart of Australia’s thoroughbred racing calendar and will be the ultimate thoroughbred racing and sales experience” says Mr V’landys.
The Sydney Carnival brings together the very best that racing in Australia has to offer, has something for everyone, plays an important role in enhancing Sydney’s international reputation as Australia’s premier city, and is not to be missed!
The Sydney Carnival takes place from 19 March – 23 April 2011. For more information on Sydney Carnival visit
Or for information on Sydney Carnival’s tailored travel packages visit www.thesydneycarnival.com.au/aroundsydney.html
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2021 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.