A number of the top-fancied mares to take out...
The Doomben 10,000 2018 kicks off Group 1 racing in Brisbane for the winter on Saturday and below we have our comprehensive form guide analysis and betting preview on the sprint feature.
The line-up is down to 13 hopefuls for this year’s Group 1 $700,000 Doomben 10,000 (1200m) after the withdrawal of the rails-drawn Lucky Hussler due to a hoof abscess.
He won last year and went on to dominate in the spring taking out The Everest – Darley Classic double, the ultra-consistent Snitzel five-year-old out to atone for a last start second as the beaten favourite in the Group 1 TJ Smith Stakes (1200m) in Sydney.
Also out of the TJ Smith Stakes during ‘The Championships’ having run a nice third to the runaway winner Trapeze Artist and backing up in the Doomben 10,000 field on the weekend is the $3.60 second elect In Her Time.
Benjamin Smith’s The Galaxy winning mare has run number four at the Doomben track and looks a huge hope to improve on her fifth to Redzel last season.
To help you sort the genuine contenders from the pretenders below we go over the full Doomben 10,000 form guide and betting statistics before you head to Ladbrokes.com.au to place your Group 1 Saturday racing bets.
2018 Doomben 10,000 Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Doomben 10,000 winner was the Peter & Paul Snowden-trained Redzel (2017) who came off a lead-up win in Sydney’s Group 3 Hall Mark Stakes (1200m) and jumped from barrier 3 (of 13) with Jim Byrne in the saddle
- #1 Redzel ($2.30) returns on Saturday chasing back-to-back Doomben 10,000 wins for the first time since Apache Cat (2008-09)
- Jockey Kerrin McEvoy comes aboard the defending Doomben 10,000 winner looking for a third win in the race having previous ridden Epaulette (2013) and Music Magnate (2016) to victory
- Punters have to look back to S. Schofield on Prince Trialia (1990-91) to find the last time a hoop rode successive Doomben 10,000 winners
- Co-trainer Peter Snowden is after Doomben 10,000 win number four with Redzel (2017) following his previous victories with the aforementioned Epaulette (2013) and Beaded (2011) when head trainer for the then Darley stable
- Along with McEvoy the other previous Doomben 10,000 winning jockeys with a ride on the weekend are: Michael Cahill on #8 Burning Passion ($34), Tim Clark on #13 English ($17) and dual winning hoop Corey Brown on #12 In Her Time ($3.60)
- Along with Team Snowden the only other previous Doomben 10,000 winning trainer with a runner on Saturday is Tony Gollan with #5 Most Important ($26)
- Last year’s winning barrier (3) has produced three Doomben 10,000 winners (since 1983) and this year #7 Monsieur Gustave (4 into 3) comes into the gate
- The last time back-to-back Doomben 10,000 winners jumped from the same barrier was Red Oog (2005) and Undue (2006) from the inside alley
- The most successful Doomben 10,000 barriers producing six winners each (since 1983) are gates seven and one belonging this year to #12 In Her Time (8 into 7) and #13 English (2 into 1) respectively
- In the past 10 years five Doomben 10,000 favourites have saluted for the punters; #1 Redzel ($2.30) is out to be the next and first since Spirit Of Boom (2014)
- Since 1994 just two mares have beaten home the boys in the Doomben 10,000 with hot Danish (2010) and Beaded (2011)
- The mares in the mix this year are #12 In Her Time ($3.60) and #13 English ($17), while #14 Houtzen ($21) is out to be just the second filly along with Sea Siren (2012) to win the Doomben 10,000 in over 30 years
- Since 1986 eight three-year-olds have won the Doomben 10,000 and along with #14 Houtzen the other three-year-old in Saturday’s field is #11 The Mission ($51)
- There are two last-start winners in the mix with #2 Impending (Group 2 Victory Stakes, 1200m, Doomben, 28/04/2016) and #8 Burning Passion (Group 3 Hall Mark Stakes, 1200m, Randwick, 21/04/2018)
- #8 Burning Passion ($34) chases the Hall Mark Stakes – Doomben 10,000 double completed by Redzel last year
- The equal highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #1 Redzel (50%), #4 Care To Think (50%) and #14 Houtzen (50%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #4 Care To Think (83%) followed by #1 Redzel (79%)
- The previous winners at the Doomben track are: #5 Most Important (14:4-4-1), #4 Care To Think (3:3-0-0), #2 Impending (2:2-0-0), #7 Monsieur Gustave (6:2-0-0), #1 Redzel (1:1-0-0), #8 Burning Passion (1:1-0-0) and #14 Houtzen (1:1-0-0)
- The horses with the best record over the distance (1200m) are: #8 Burning Passion (15:5-4-2), #1 Redzel (7:4-1-0), #12 In Her Time (9:4-2-1), #7 Monsieur Gustave (7:3-1-0), #9 Thornum (6:3-2-0), #3 Le Romain (8:2-4-1), #4 Care To Think (6:2-2-0), #5 Most Important (17:4-3-2), #14 Houtzen (7:3-0-0), and #2 Impending (8:1-1-5)
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.