Betting for the 2018 Group 1 $700,000 Altus...
This Saturday another page in the Caulfield Cup history books will be written with the 2017 edition of the mile and a half classic, but how have the favourites in Caulfield Cup betting stacked up in recent years?
Of the 17 stayers doing battle in this weekend’s Group 1 $3.15 million BMW Caulfield Cup (2400m) the money in the markets at Ladbrokes.com.au is on the Aidan O’Brien-trained Irish raider Johannes Vermeer.
Drawn in barrier two and second-up following the eye-catching second to Gailo Chop in last Saturday’s Group 1 Ladbrokes Stakes (2000m) at the Caulfield track, the Lloyd Williams-owned raider is in from $5 to $4.20 in the latest Caulfield Cup odds.
Last spring the Ciaron Maher-trained mare Jameka (2016) made it back-to-back wins for the punters in the Caulfield Cup results, saluting at $4.25.
The year prior, the Murray Baker-trained Kiwi visitor Mongolian Khan (2015) broke a drought for favourites in Caulfield Cup betting, the $5 top fancy the first to salute at the top of the markets since Master O’Reilly ($9 in 2007).
Master O’Reilly was favourite in the 2007 Caulfield Cup by default however after the shock scratchings of Maldivian and Eskimo Queen.
Between Master O’Reilly (2007) and Mongolian Khan (2015), all seven Caulfield Cup winners jumped at $10 or above in betting including All The Good (2008) at the blowout price of 40/1.
This weekend smart Galileo stallion Johannes Vermeer, who is yet to win over further than 2011m, is out to make it three straight wins for Caulfield Cup favourites since 2002-2004: Northerly ($5.50 in 2002), Mummify ($5.50 in 2003) and Elvstroem ($4 in 2004).
The other single-figure hopes in the latest Caulfield Cup betting markets are the Darren Weir-trained top weight Humidor ($8.50), one-time favourite Bonneval ($8.50) who finished a disappointing sixth as the beaten top fancy in the Ladbrokes Stakes and Weir’s other runner Amelie’s Star ($9) coming off a win in the Group 3 The Bart Cummings (2500m).
Caulfield Cup Favourites: Facts
- Just 10 Caulfield Cup favourites (or equal favourites) have saluted since 1983
- The past two favourites in Caulfield Cup betting both won: Mongolian Khan ($5 in 2015) and Jameka ($4.25 in 2016)
- In the past decade only three top fancies in the Caulfield Cup markets have won
- In the past decade six Caulfield Cup favourites finished out of the money
- #3 Johannes Vermeer ($4.20) leads the Caulfield Cup odds in 2017
- The last time three straight Caulfield Cup favourites saluted was 2002-04
- From 2007 – 2016 seven Caulfield Cup winners jumped at double-figures
- The worst result from a Caulfield Cup favourite (since 1983) was December Draw (18th in 2011)
- December Draw ($3.25) was also the shortest-priced beaten Caulfield Cup favourite (since 1983)
- Since 1983 two Caulfield Cup favourites have finished runner-up: Veandercross (1992) and Nayrizi (1989)
- Since 1983 four favourites rounded out the Caulfield Cup trifecta in third: Lucia Valentina (2014), Fairway (2000), Tie The Knot (1998) and Cossack Warrior (1987)
Caulfield Cup Favourites: Results (Since 1983)
|Place||Caulfield Cup Favourites (SP)|
|1||MASTER O’REILLY ($9), ETHEREAL ($8EF), ELVSTROEM ($4), MUMMIFY ($5.50), NORTHERLY ($5.50), SKY HEIGHTS ($3.50), PARIS LANE ($4), SYDESTON ($6.50), MONGOLIAN KHAN ($5), JAMEKA ($4.20)|
|2||VEANDERCROSS ($3.50), NAYRIZI ($5.50)|
|3||FAIRWAY ($4.50), TIE THE KNOT ($3.50), COSSACK WARRIOR ($5), LUCIA VALENTINA ($4)|
|4||SHOCKING ($4.50), DORIEMUS ($4.75), ALIBHAI ($5.50)|
|5||LITTORIO ($4.50), SPHENOPHYTA ($4.50)|
|6||EL SEGUNDO ($4.25), FOUNTAINCOURT ($6.50)|
|7||ELECTRONIC ($7.50) HAWKSPUR ($4.25)|
|8||MARBLE HALLS ($3.75)|
|12||PREDATORY PRICER ($7)|
|13||DR. GRACE ($5.50)|
|15||GLENCADAM GOLD ($4.50)|
|16||SKY CHASE ($4.50), CANNY LASS ($6)|
|18||DECEMBER DRAW ($3.25)|
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.