Kiwi stayer Megablast remains at the top of the...
The 2017 George Main Stakes betting markets have Winx nearing a career-shortest price as she looks down the barrel of her 20th straight win, but how do the statistics on favourites in the mile feature stack-up?
Chris Waller’s brilliant daughter of Street Cry is looking for her incredible 13th Group 1 victory when she races third-up on Saturday in Royal Randwick’s $500,000 George Main Stakes (1600m).
Her lead-up form this campaign shows back-to-back wins at the track, but there was a close call first-up when she missed the kick and a tearaway leader to rundown last start.
Waller remains confident that his stable ace is going as good as ever however and it looks like the punters agree, with all the money in George Main Stakes betting at Ladbrokes.com.au pouring in for the mighty mare.
The latest George Main Stakes odds on the equine phenomenon to continue her blistering winning streak are $1.09, equal with the price paid for her Group 2 Chelmsford Stakes (1600m) at the track and distance a fortnight back.
There has been a very slight move on one other runner in the race, the Patrick Webster’s last start Tramway Stakes winner Happy Clapper firming in from $15 to $12.
The seven-year-old Teofilo gelding is on way to the Group 1 Epsom Handicap (1600m) at the end of the month and is looking for a sneaky second to Winx in the lead-up to that.
Happy Clapper has had four previous runs against the champion mare, his best result being the second in the 2016 Doncaster Mile, which he emulated this year finishing runner-up in the same autumn classic behind It’s Somewhat.
While it seems cemented that Winx will salute for the punters in the George Main Stakes results on the weekend, below we look over the historical data to see how previous favourites in the race have fared.
2017 George Main Stakes History: How The Favourites Have Fared
- From 1983 – 2016 the favourites saluted in 13 of the 34 editions of the weight-for-age showdown
- During that time the best run of the top fancies in betting has been three straight saluting from 2014 – 2016
- All three of those George Main favourites were Waller-trained: Sacred Falls ($4 in 2014), Kermadec ($2.37 in 2015) and Winx ($1.09 in 2016)
- Waller also prepared the successful favourite Shoot Out ($4 in 2012) giving the trainer four wins in the past five years
- Favourites in George Main Stakes betting have won six of the past seven editions
- Since 2000 only one George Main Stakes winner has saluted at double figures when Road To Rock ($41) scored a massive upset in 2009
- Last year Winx became the shortest-priced favourite to win the race since Emancipation ($1.50) back in 1983
- The shortest-priced favourite to be beaten in the race was Filante ($1.40 in 1996) who ran second to Juggler; Filante also ($2.75) finished second as the beaten favourite in 1997 behind Encounter
- The worst result by an odds-on favourite in the race from 1983 – 2016 was the ninth place finish of Racing To Win ($1.90) in 2009
- 10 favourites from 1983 – 2016 have run outside the top three in the George Main Stakes results
- The other odds-on mare to salute in the George Main Stakes (since 1983) was More Joyous ($1.57) in 2010
If you fancy Winx to continue the outstanding recent record of George Main Stakes favourites with a win in 2017 head to Ladbrokes.com.au today.
George Main Stakes Favourites: Results (Since 1983)
|Finishing Place||How The Favourites Fared|
|1||WINX ($1.09), KERMADEC ($2.37), SACRED FALLS ($4), SHOOT OUT ($4), SINCERO ($2.10), MORE JOYOUS ($1.57), RACING TO WIN ($1.72), GRAND ARMEE ($1.90), LONHRO ($1.72), VO ROGUE ($2.10), CAMPAIGN KING ($2.25), INSPIRED ($3.25), EMANCIPATION ($1.50)|
|2||SHANIA DANE ($3.50), SHOGUN LODGE ($2.10), SUNLINE ($1.61), FILANTE ($2.75), FILANTE ($1.40), DANEWIN ($1.80), KINJITE ($3), SUPER IMPOSE ($3.25)|
|3||MARCH HARE ($2.37)|
|4||LONHRO ($2.37), SOHO SQUARE ($1.90), WONDER DANCER ($2.37)|
|6||DISSIDENT ($4), TRIPLE HONOUR ($2.50), BIG DREAMS ($1.90)|
|7||MIGHT AND POWER ($3), SHANKHILL LASS ($3.25), LORD OF CAMELOT ($3.50)|
|9||RACING TO WIN ($1.90)|
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.