Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The best staying three-year-olds of the winter face off at Doomben Racecourse this weekend in the Queensland Derby 2017, a full race form guide and betting preview for which is detailed below.
A capacity field of 16 starters will run in Doomben Race 7 at 3:00pm (AEST) on Stradbroke Handicap Day on Saturday for the $600,000 Group 1 Queensland Derby (2200m).
Despite the size of the line-up only three are under double-figures in Queensland Derby betting at Ladbrokes.com.au.
Two of the past three Queensland Derby winners – Sonntag (2014) and Magicool (2015) – saluted at $13 and that opens it up for the longer priced hopes in 2017.
Co-favourites out to be the fourth top fancy in the Queensland Derby odds since 2011 to salute are market mover Ruthven ($5) back in distance off a Group 1 SA Derby (2500m) second and Shocking Luck ($5) who ran sixth in the Group 3 Grand Prix Stakes (2200m) in the wet at Eagle Farm a fortnight ago.
The other best in betting is the SA Derby winner Volatile Mix ($7) for Darren Weir, the galloper with work to do from a wide alley this weekend on the back of a Grand Prix Stakes second.
To uncover the value in the markets below we take a closer look at the full Queensland Derby form guide, betting history and statistical data on the race traditionally run over 2400m at Eagle Farm.
2017 Queensland Derby Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Queensland Derby winner was the Brian Guy-trained Eagle Way (2016) who came off a Grand Prix Stakes second and jumped from barrier 11 (of 18) with Tommy Berry aboard the $7 shot in betting
- The only previous Queensland Derby winning trainer with a runner this weekend is Chris Waller (10-1-1-1) with #3 Black On Gold ($11), #8 Sizzling Bullet ($26), #9 Monasterio ($21) and #10 Wu Gok ($26)
- Last year’s winning hoop Tommy Berry chases back-to-back Queensland Derby wins by a jockey for the first time since Michael Rodd (Dariana in 2010 and Shootoff in 2011) aboard #3 Black On Gold
- The other previous Queensland Derby winning jockeys with a ride in 2017 are: Corey Brown (10-2-0-1) on #13 Garbhan ($41) and Brad Rawiller (4-1-0-0) on #12 Rockstar Rebel ($15)
- The barrier form on the Queensland Derby for 2017 is hard to stack-up against the historical data with the race run over 2200m at the tighter Doomben track
- In 2015 the Queensland Derby ran at Doomben and Magicool won from barrier 14 of 16
- Barrier 14 is drawn this year by #3 Black On Gold but with the five emergencies coming out will belong to #8 Sizzling Bullet (16)
- Two of the past five Queensland Derby winners came off a lead-up win with both Brambles (2012) and Hawkspur (2013) having taken out the Group 3 Grand Prix Stakes
- This year’s Grand Prix Stakes winner Order Again has been ruled out of the Queensland Derby due to injury
- The Grand Prix Stakes also produced last year’s winner Eagle Way (2nd) and the graduates out of the lead-up race this year are: Volatile Mix (2nd), Violate (3rd), Here He Comes (4th), Dazzle Em Sid (5th), Shocking Luck (6th), third emergency Top Of The Range (7th), first emergency Shadow Vision (10th) and Black On Gold (12th)
- #2 Ruthven (2nd) is out to win the Queensland Derby straight off a SA Derby run for the first time since Magicool (4th in 2015)
- The last start winners in the Queensland Derby field 2017 are: #7 Fontein Lad (3YO Hcp, 2200m, Ipswich, 31/05/2017), #9 Monasterio (3YO BM78, 2000m, Randwick, 27/05/2017) and #12 Rockstar Rebel (BM70, 2200m, Ballarat, 24/05/2017)
- Dariana (2010) was the last filly to win the Queensland Derby and this year #16 Ana Royale ($10) is the only filly in the mix
- Favourites have won three times since 2004 and this year #2 Ruthven ($5) and #6 Shocking Luck ($5) are battling for top spot in the Queensland Derby odds
- The highest Win Rate of the runners confirmed a start on Saturday belongs to #4 Mongolian Wolf (40%) followed by #8 Sizzling Bullet (38%)
- The best Place Rate of the confirmed starting 16 belongs to #2 Ruthven (78%) followed by #9 Monasterio (57%)
- Excluding emergencies the performers with place form over the 2200m distance are: #10 Wu Gok (3-2-0-1), #7 Fontein Lad (2-1-1-0), #12 Rockstar Rebel (2-1-1-0), #15 Dazzle Em Sid (2-1-0-0), #1 Volatile Mix (1-0-1-0) and #5 Violate (1-0-0-1)
- The only previous Doomben placegetters in the starting line-up are: #6 Shocking Luck (1-1-0-0) and #15 Dazzle Em Sid (6-0-0-1)
Stay tuned for our Queensland Derby 2017 betting tips, checking out the complete race form guide provided by Ladbrokes.com.au in the meantime below.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.