Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The season’s best three-year-old staying fillies take to the Doomben track in Brisbane on Saturday for the relocated Queensland Oaks 2017, a full form guide analysis and betting preview for which is detailed below.
Traditionally run at Eagle Farm over the mile and a half (2400m), this year’s $500,000 Group 1 Treasury Brisbane Queensland Oaks field face off in Doomben Race 7 over 2200m.
Five of the fillies in the mix are currently under double-figures for the win in Queensland Oaks betting at Ladbrokes.com.au including the Chris Waller-trained favourite Egg Tart ($3.40).
A winner of her past five starts on the trot, this daughter of Sebring races for the first time since her Group 1 Australasian Oaks (2010m) win in Adelaide on May 6.
She beat a number of these same rivals in that race and Waller is confident she will go well fresh over this distance.
The danger looking at the Queensland Oaks odds online is the Australasian Oaks runner-up Kenedna ($4.80) who enjoyed a subsequent win in the Group 2 The Roses (2000m) at Doomben a fortnight ago.
To help you sort the genuine contenders from the pretenders below we look over the major Queensland Oaks form facts, historical data and betting statistics.
2017 Queensland Oaks Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Queensland Oaks winner was the Tony Pike-trained New Zealand filly Provocative (2016) who won the race first-up down under as a $7 shot from a wide gate (16 of 18) with Leith Innes in the saddle
- The only other time in the past 30 plus years that the Queensland Oaks ran at Doomben was in 2015 when the Chris Waller-trained Winx won as the short-priced favourite
- Waller (10-1-1-0) has seven fillies in the Queensland Oaks field in 2017 with: #2 Egg Tart, #3 Dawn Wall, #5 Invincibella, #6 Oklahoma Girl, #8 Cross Stitch, #14 Baysa and #16 Kirini
- The only other previous Queensland Oaks winning trainer with a starter on Saturday is Michael Moroney (10-1-1-1) with #15 Mia Rosa ($31)
- Last year’s winning hoop Leith Innes (2-1-0-0) is looking to go back-to-back in the Queensland Oaks as a jockey for the first time since Chris Munce (2003-04) aboard #14 Baysa ($26)
- The other previous Queensland Oaks winning jockeys with a ride this year are: Hugh Bowman (8-2-0-0) on #3 Dawn Wall, Kerrin McEvoy (10-1-0-1) on #2 Egg Tart, Larry Cassidy (12-1-1-1) on #5 Invincibella, Paul Hammersley (2-1-0-0) on #11 Sharp Speedo and Damian Browne (6-1-0-0) who is on standby to ride the third emergency #19e Miabla
- Last year’s winning barrier (16 of 18) has produced just the one Queensland Oaks winner in the past 30 years
- With this year’s Queensland Oaks run at Doomben over 2200m the barrier statistics for the race are different with Doomben having a tighter circumference than Eagle Farm
- At Eagle Farm the most successful Queensland Oaks barrier producing 5 winners since 1983 is gate one and at Doomben on Saturday the inside alley belongs to #14 Baysa
- Four Queensland Oaks favourites have saluted in the past decade most recently Winx ($1.90 in 2015)
- #2 Egg Tart ($3.40) leads the Queensland Oaks betting markets this winter
- Just one Queensland Oaks winner in the past eight years jumped at double-figures when Miss Keepsake ($31) scored a notable upset in 2010
- The other single-figure hopes in the Queensland Oaks odds along with the favourite this season are: #1 Kenedna ($4.80), #3 Dawn Wall ($7.50), #4 Ana Royale ($7.50) and #6 Oklahoma Girl ($9.50)
- The Roses has produced more Queensland Oaks winners in the past 12 years than any other lead-up race including four of the past six
- #1 Kenedna is out to do The Roses – Queensland Oaks double for the first time since Scarlett Lady (2011)
- The other The Roses graduates at Doomben backing up at the track in the Queensland Oaks field 2017 are: Oklahoma Girl (2nd), Perilous Love (3rd), Shenandoah (4th), Mia Rosa (5th), Invincibella (6th) and first emergency on Saturday Lipstick Lover (7th)
- Along with #1 Kenedna the other last start winners in the mix are: #2 Egg Tart (Group 1 Schweppes Oaks, 2010m, Morphettville, 06/05/2017), #3 Dawn Wall (Listed Gold Coast Bracelet, 1800m, Gold Coast, 06/05/2017), #4 Ana Royale (Group 3 SA Fillies Classic, 2500m, Morphettville, 20/05/2017), #9 Pygmy (BM70, 2000m, Hawkesbury, 18/05/2017), #10 Isn’t She Elegant (BM70, 2000m, Toowoomba, 27/05/2017), #11 Sharp Speedo (3YO Hcp, 2190, Ipswich, 24/05/2017), #12 Blanco Cara (Class 1, 2340m, Newcastle, 20/05/2017) and #14 Baysa (Class 2, Wyong, 2100m, 16/05/2017)
- #2 Egg Tart is out to be the first filly to win the Australasian Oaks – Queensland Oaks double since Zacheline (1998) when the former ran over 2500m
- She is also out to be the first filly since Vouvray (2004) to win the Queensland Oaks off a break of 28 or more days
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #2 Egg Tart (71%) followed by #3 Dawn Wall (67%) and #1 Kenedna (43%)
- The best Place Rate of the field also belongs to #2 Egg Tart (86%) followed by #1 Kenedna (79%), #11 Sharp Speedo (71%) and #6 Oklahoma Girl (70%)
- The previous winners at the Doomben track are: #1 Kenedna (1-1-0-0), #7 Perilous Love (6-1-0-1) and the first emergency #17e Lipstick Lover (4-1-0-1)
Stay tuned for our insider Queensland Oaks 2017 tips, checking out the race’s full form guide below in the meantime courtesy of Ladbrokes.com.au.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.