Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The Goodwood 2017 lights up Morphettville Racecourse this Saturday in Adelaide, a comprehensive form guide analysis and betting preview on the final Adelaide Autumn Racing Carnival Group 1 found below.
Running as Morphettville Race 7 at 4:20pm (ACST), this year’s $1 million Group 1 Darley Goodwood (1200m) field will run at a capacity 20 starters.
The first emergency Lucky Liberty is already in the mix after the early scratching of Lloyd Kennewell’s Robert Sangster Stakes runner-up Viddora who is suffering from a foot abscess.
Leading the updated The Goodwood odds at Ladbrokes.com.au paying $3.50 to win the race on successive years for the first time since Musket Belle (1911-12) is the Darren Weir-trained Black Heart Bart ($3.50).
History may be against the multiple Group 1 champion, but Black Heart Bart is the class horse of the race and will take some beating.
There’s also been money in The Goodwood betting for Secret Agenda ($7.50) to beat home the boys after the Mick Price-trained mare’s win in the Group 1 Robert Sangster Stakes (1200m) at the same track and distance a fortnight back.
Below we go over the full The Goodwood form guide, betting history and statistical data to help unlock any value in the markets this weekend.
2017 The Goodwood Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s The Goodwood winner was the Darren Weir-trained Black Heart Bart (2016) who came off a Group 1 All Aged Stakes second in Sydney, jumped from barrier 2 (of 18) with jockey Brad Rawiller riding the favourite to victory
- #1 Black Heart Bart ($3.50) returns looking to successfully defend his title in the race and become the first back-to-to-back The Goodwood winner since Musket Belle (1911-12)
- Darren Weir (8-2-1-1) chases back-to-back The Goodwood wins as a trainer with the reigning champ #1 Black Heart Bart along with #8 Rageese ($26)
- Weir also won the race in 2013 with the mare Platelet
- The other previous The Goodwood winning trainer with a runner on Saturday is Mick Price (8-2-0-0) with #6 Secret Agenda ($7.50) and #13 Bassett ($41)
- Last year’s winning hoop Brad Rawiller (6-1-2-1) is back on the defending champ #1 Black Heart Bart on the weekend
- The other previous The Goodwood winning jockeys with a ride in 2017 are: Ben Melham (4-2-0-0) on #2 Malaguerra, Mark Pegus (6-1-0-0) on #10 Santa Ana Lane, Luke Nolen (8-1-0-0) on #11 First Among Equals, Jason Holder (11-1-0-1) on #14 Casino Wizard, Stephen Baster (8-1-2-0) on #19 Sweet Sherry and Clare Lindop (6-1-0-0) who is on standby for the ride on third emergency #23e Counter Pulse
- Last year’s winning barrier (2) has produced just the one The Goodwood winner (since 1983) and belongs to the defending champion #1 Black Heart Bart this weekend
- Barrier 13 with Marstic (2000) and Keeper (2001) was the last The Goodwood barrier to produce successive winners
- The most successful The Goodwood barrier draw in that time producing five winners is gate 8 drawn this season by #14 Casino Wizard but belonging now to #2 Malaguerra (9) after the early scratching of #18 Viddora (7)
- Four of the past five The Goodwood winners came off a Group 1 run last time out
- Two of those were mares completing the Robert Sangster Stakes – The Goodwood double with Black Caviar (2012) and Platelet (2013)
- This year #6 Secret Agenda is after the Robert Sangster Stakes – The Goodwood double
- A total of three mares in the past 10 years have dominated The Goodwood results
- #6 Secret Agenda is now the only mare in The Goodwood field 2017
- There are two fillies in the mix with #19 Sweet Sherry ($26) and #20 Missrock ($26) out to join Lone Rock (2011) as the only other The Goodwood winning filly since Boardwalk Angel (1989)
- The only other three-year-old The Goodwood winner since 2002 was Perfectly Ready (2006)
- Along with the two fillies the other three-year-old hope in the mix on Saturday is #4 Hey Doc ($31)
- Five-year-olds have dominated The Goodwood results from the past decade with four wins including the last two on the trot
- The 5YOs in the race this season are: #2 Malaguerra, #5 Illustrious Lad, #11 First Among Equals, #15 Kaepernick, #16 Zebulon and #21 Lucky Liberty
- Just three favourites in The Goodwood betting have saluted in the past decade; #1 Black Heart Bart is the top fancy this year looking to salute for the punters again
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #7 Vega Magic (64%) followed by #21 Lucky Liberty (50%) and #2 Malaguerra (48%)
- The best Place Rate of the field also belongs to #7 Vega Magic (86%) followed by #1 Black Heart Bart (77%) and #11 First Among Equals (72%)
- Confirmed runners with previous winning form at the Morphettville track are: #9 Karacatis (31-7-6-4), #12 Riziz (29-7-6-5), #14 Casino Wizard (21-7-1-3), #17 Karlovasi (14-2-2-2), #5 Illustrious Lad (4-2-1-0), #3 Faatinah (4-2-0-0), #1 Black Heart Bart (2-1-0-0), #6 Secret Agenda (2-1-0-0), #4 Hey Doc (1-1-0-0) and #19 Sweet Sherry (1-1-0-0)
- Over the distance (1200m) the horses with the best winning strike rate are: #12 Riziz (28-9-4-3), #14 Casino Wizard (15-7-0-3), #7 Vega Magic (10-7-1-1), #2 Malaguerra (10-6-1-0), #11 First Among Equals (8-5-1-0), #21 Lucky Liberty (6-5-0-1), #1 Black Heart Bart (8-4-3-0), #5 Illustrious Lad (11-4-2-0), #6 Secret Agenda (14-4-4-0), #13 Bassett (10-3-1-2), #3 Faatinah (8-3-2-0), #15 Kaepernick (11-3-3-1), #17 Karlovasi (10-3-2-2), #19 Sweet Sherry (7-3-0-1) and #10 Santa Ana Lane (11-3-0-2)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider The Goodwood 2017 betting tips, checking out the full race form guide below in the meantime courtesy of Ladbrokes.com.au.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.