Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The Adelaide Racing Carnival Group 1 action continues at Morphettville on Saturday in the form of the 2017 South Australian Derby, a full form guide analysis and betting preview for which is detailed below.
A full field of 16 three-year-olds are in the mix for this year’s $600,000 Group 1 South Australian Derby (2500m) and markets on the classic are firmly led by Odeon.
Current SA Derby odds at Ladbrokes.com.au have the Victorian visitor at $3.30 to post back-to-back wins following his success over 2000m at Caulfield on April 29.
He’s out over further than that for the first time here, but is flying and is out to continue the good record of favourites in the race over the past 15 years.
The dangers in South Australian Derby betting shape-up as the Ciaron Maher-trained Ruthven ($6.50) with a wide alley to overcome and Netherfield ($6) for fellow Victorian horseman Mick Price who are the only other single-figure hopes.
With value to be had outside the top three fancies below we take a look at the full SA Derby 2017 form guide, betting history and race statistics to help sort the pretenders from the contenders this weekend.
2017 SA Derby Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s SA Derby winner was the Darren Weir-trained Howard Be Thy Name (2016) who came off a Chairman’s Stakes win at the track, jumped from barrier 6 (of 16) and had John Allen aboard for his win at odds of $5
- Darren Weir (2-1-0-0) returns this weekend chasing back-to-back South Australian Derby victories by a trainer for the first time since CI Brown (1996-97) with: #12 Volatile Mix ($10) and the first emergency #17e Rockstar Rebel ($11)
- The only other previous SA Derby winning trainer with a confirmed starter on Saturday is Leon MacDonald (11-2-0-1) with #2 Waging War ($14) and #9 Gun Guru ($41)
- Co-trainer Lee Freedman has enjoyed two SA Derby victories and has two of the three emergencies awaiting a run with #19e Adatto and #20e Bedford
- Jockey John Allen (1-1-0-0) chases back-to-back South Australian Derby wins by a hoop for the first time since Danny Nikolic (2002-03) on #12 Volatile Mix on Saturday
- The other previous SA Derby winning jockeys with a ride in 2017 are: Clare Lindop (8-1-0-1) on #2 Waging War, Jason Holder (11-1-0-0) on #9 Gun Guru, Damien Oliver (6-1-0-2) on #13 Netherfield, Paul Gatt (13-1-1-0) on #14 Savvy Dreams and Ben Melham (3-2-1-0) on #4 Anaheim
- Last year’s winning barrier (6) has produced just the one South Australian Derby champ since 1983 and belongs this year to #6 Dornier (8) if the emergencies fail to gain a start
- The most successful South Australian Derby barriers in that time producing five winners each are 5 and 16
- Barrier 5 will belong to #7 Lycurgus (6) and gate 16 will go to #14 Savvy Dreams (19) with the emergencies out this weekend
- In the past 11 years seven SA Derby favourites have saluted for the punters – most recently Delicacy ($1.90 in 2015)
- This year #5 Odeon ($3.30) is out to add to the good record of favourites in South Australian Derby betting
- Since 1999 just two fillies have beaten home the boys in the SA Derby with Zarita (2008) and Delicacy (2015)
- The fillies in the South Australian Derby field this season are: #14 Savvy Dreams ($20), #15 Sedanzer ($19) and #16 Wheal Leisure ($51)
- The past two South Australian Derby winners came off a lead-up win
- The last start winners in the mix this year are: #2 Waging War, #5 Odeon, #6 Dornier, #8 Casta, #9 Gun Guru, #10 Docker Pav and #11 He Ekscels
- #2 Waging War took out the Group 3 Chairman’s Stakes (2030m) a fortnight back and chases the double achieved by Howard Be Thy Name last year
- The other most recent Chairman’s Stakes graduate to win the Derby next-up was Kushadasi (4th in 2014)
- The other best out of the Chairman’s Stakes in the Group 1 on Saturday are: Grand Chancellor (2nd) and Volatile Mix (4th)
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #10 Docker Pav (67%) followed by #3 Grand Chancellor (43%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #11 He Ekscels (100%) followed by #13 Netherfield
- #3 Grand Chancellor (2-1-0-0) is the only horse with previous winning form at the Morphettville track (course proper)
Stay tuned for our insider South Australian Derby 2017 tips, checking out the comprehensive form guide on the race in the meantime courtesy of Ladbrokes.com.au below.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.