Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
A dual shot of Group 1 Adelaide racing action at Morphettville on Saturday is headlined by the Robert Sangster Stakes 2017, a comprehensive form guide and betting preview for the sprint classic found below.
Running as Morphettville Race 7 at 4:04pm (ACST), this year’s Group 1 Robert Sangster Stakes (1200m) offers a boosted $1 million prize pool and has attracted a capacity field of hopefuls.
The latest Robert Sangster Stakes odds at Ladbrokes.com.au have the Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott-trained mare English as the $4.60 favourite.
The four-year-old hasn’t won since a first-up victory in the Group 2 Challenge Stakes (1000m) in the wet at Randwick in early March, but her TJ Smith Stakes second to Chautauqua two back was excellent.
She comes off a sixth when failing to defend her Group 1 All Aged Stakes (1400m) title in mid-April and back down to 1200m should be flying on the weekend.
The dangers according to Robert Sangster Stakes betting shape-up as Lindsay Park’s recent Oakleigh Plate winning mare Sheidel ($5) and market mover Super Cash ($7.50).
That’s the story told by the bookies but what about the Robert Sangster Stakes 2017 form guide, betting history and statistics?
2017 Robert Sangster Stakes Form Facts & Stats
- Last year’s Robert Sangster Stakes winner was Victorian-trained mare Precious Gem (2016) who came off a Caulfield win, jumped from barrier 6 (of 20) and saluted as a $21 roughie in betting
- Barrier six has produced the past two winners and a total of four (since 1983) and is drawn this year by #8 Now Or Later ($14)
- The most successful Robert Sangster Stakes barrier in that time with five winners is gate nine drawn this year by #13 A Lotta Love ($51)
- The previous Robert Sangster Stakes winning trainers with a runner on the weekend are: Gai Waterhouse (2-1-0-0) with #1 English, Darren Weir (6-1-1-0) with #9 Scarlet Billows, Peter & Paul Snowden (1-1-0-0) with #11 Ravi and Mick Price (8-3-1-0) with #3 Secret Agenda
- The previous Robert Sangster Stakes winning jockeys with a ride on Saturday are: Ben Melham (5-1-0-0) on #1 English, Damien Oliver (6-1-2-0) on #3 Secret Agenda, Dwayne Dunn (16-1-1-1) on #12 Miss Gunpowder, Paul Gatt (12-1-1-2) on #14 Beautiful Flyer and Stephen Baster (7-1-0-2) on #15 Lake Como
- Three of the past five Robert Sangster Stakes winners came off a lead-up win
- The last start winners in the mix this year are: #3 Secret Agenda (Group 2 Sapphire Stakes, Randwick, 1200m, 08/04/2017); #5 Viddora (Group 3 RN Irwin Stakes, 1100m, Morphettville, 22/04/2017); #12 Miss Gunpowder (Benchmark 90, 1200m, Caulfield, 15/04/2017); #14 Beautiful Flyer (F&M Hcp, 1200m, Morphettville, 1200m, 22/04/2017) and #15 Lake Como (Benchmark 84, 1200m, Flemington, 25/04/2017)
- Only three winners in the past decade had their lead-up run at Morphettville
- Two of the past four Robert Sangster Stakes winners came off a run in the RN Irwin Stakes including Dreifeontein (2014) who completed the double
- #5 Viddora ($14) chases this year’s RN Irwin Stakes – Robert Sangster Stakes double
- No Robert Sangster Stakes winner has run worse than fourth in their lead-up run since Rostova (2010)
- Rostova was also the last three-year-old filly to win the Robert Sangster Stakes
- The 3YOs in the field on Saturday are: #17 I Am A Star, #18 Missrock, #19 Legless Veuve, #20 Hear The Chant and emergencies #21e Sweet Sherry and #22e Selenia
- Four-year-old mares have dominated the recent Robert Sangster Stakes results including winning three of the past four editions
- There are 10 four-year-olds in the mix this year including the favourite #1 English ($4.60)
Favourites in Robert Sangster Stakes betting have a poor record with just the one win since 2007 by Black Caviar (2012)
- #2 Sheidel ($5) is out to improve on her second in the Robert Sangster Stakes last autumn
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #2 Sheidel (52%) followed by #17 I Am A Star (43%), #11 Ravi (42%) and #15 Lake Como (40%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #6 Egyptian Symbol (80%) followed by #2 Sheidel (72%) and #12 Miss Gunpowder (69%)
- The previous winners at the Morphettville track are: #5 Viddora (8-4-0-0), #7 Cavaloce (9-3-1-2), #14 Beautiful Flyer (9-3-2-0), #12 Miss Gunpowder (6-2-2-0), #16 Every Faith (4-1-0-1) and #17 I Am A Star (1-1-0-0)
- The runners with the best record over the distance (1200m) are: #14 Beautiful Flyer (13-5-3-1), #15 Lake Como (11-5-2-0), #2 Sheidel (10-4-2-0), #7 Cavaloce (9-4-2-0), #9 Scarlet Billows (16-4-3-0), #6 Egyptian Symbol (8-3-3-1), #3 Secret Agenda (13-3-4-0), #13 A Lotta Love (13-3-0-3), #10 I Am Zelady (9-2-1-3), #11 Ravi (7-2-1-1), #12 Miss Gunpowder (5-2-0-0) and #20 Hear The Chant (4-1-0-0)
Stay tuned for our insider Robert Sangster Stakes 2017 tips, checking out the full race form guide in the meantime below courtesy of Ladbrokes.com.au.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.