Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The season’s best three-year-old staying fillies face off at Randwick on Saturday and below is a full Australian Oaks 2017 form guide analysis and betting preview on the mile and a half classic.
A final field of thirteen remain for this year’s $1 million Group 1 ATC Australian Oaks (2400m) following the early scratching of the Pat Carey-trained Zambesia (13).
The updated Australian Oaks odds at Ladbrokes.com.au are led by the New Zealand visitor Bonneval ($4.20) out to further frank the Kiwi form following the ATC Derby win by Jon Snow last weekend.
The Derby winner is a stablemate of Bonneval prepared by Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman.
Chasing a fourth win on the trot, Saturday’s well-supported Makfi filly was last seen winning the Group 1 NZ Oaks (2400m) that produced last year’s Australian Oaks winner Sofia Rosa (2nd).
Below we take a comprehensive look at the Australian Oaks 2017 form guide and betting history to uncover the must know facts and stats plus any value in the markets for the weekend.
2017 ATC Oaks Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Australian Oaks winner was the New Zealand-trained Sofia Rosa (2016) who came off a second in the NZ Oaks and jumped from barrier 11 (of 14) with Hugh Bowman aboard the $4.75 shot
- Sofia Rosa was the third Kiwi-trained filly to win the Australian Oaks in the past decade along with Daffodil (2009) and Rising Romance (2014)
- The New Zealand raiders in the Australian Oaks field 2017 are: #2 La Bella Diosa ($15), #3 Bonneval ($4.20) and #6 Devise ($8)
- The only previous Australian Oaks winning trainer with a runner on Saturday is Anthony Cummings (6-1-0-3) with #13 Lamma Hilton ($61)
- Hugh Bowman (9-3-0-3) chases back-to-back Australian Oaks wins as a jockey for the first time since RS Dye (1999-2000) and his fourth overall aboard Saturday’s favourite #3 Bonneval ($4.20)
- The only other previous ATC Oaks winning jockey with a ride on Saturday is Tye Angland (1-1-0-0) on #9 Perfect Rhyme ($16)
- Last year’s winning barrier (11) has produced three Australian Oaks winners (since 1983) and belongs this year to #9 Perfect Rhyme
- The most successful Australian Oaks barrier in that time with six winners is gate five drawn this weekend by #12 High Impulse ($61)
- Barrier one is the other best ATC Oaks draw with five wins (since 1983) and this year the inside alley belongs to #2 La Bella Diosa ($15)
- Just two ATC Oaks winners since 2001 have jumped from a double-digit barrier
- Only one Australian Oaks winner has finished worse than fourth in their lead-up run since 2005 -Once Were Wild (Vinery Stud Stakes 5th in 2010)
- The fillies coming off a top four run in the field this year are: #3 Bonneval, #4 Nurse Kitchen, #5 Harlow Gold, #6 Devise, #8 Waking Moment, #9 Perfect Rhyme and #13 Lamma Hilton
- The Vinery Stud Stakes has produced four Australian Oaks winners in the past 10 years
- The Vinery Stud Stakes graduates in the mix this year are: Nurse Kitchen (2nd), Harlow Gold (3rd), Lubiton (5th), La Bella Diosa (9th),
- #8 Waking Moment ($31) chases the Adrian Knox Stakes – Australian Oaks double last achieved by Royal Descent (2013)
- Gust Of Wind (4th in 2015) was the last Adrian Knox Stakes graduate to back-up and win the ATC Oaks
- The other Adrian Knox Stakes graduates from last Saturday in the Group 1 this weekend are: Perfect Rhyme (2nd), Lamma Hilton (4th), High Impulse (5th) and Cambage (6th)
- Just one Australian Oaks favourite has saluted for the punters since 2006 – Streama ($1.40 in 2012)
- #3 Bonneval ($4.20) leads Australian Oaks betting in 2017
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #3 Bonneval (57%) followed by #2 La Bella Diosa (56%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #6 Devise (75%) followed by #3 Bonneval (67%)
- The only previous Randwick winners in the mix are #2 La Bella Diosa (1-1-0-0) and #7 Waking Moment (2-1-0-0)
- #9 Perfect Rhyme (2-0-1-1) is yet to win at Randwick but has finished in the money in both her starts at the track
- The fillies proven over the distance (2400m) are #1 Lasqueti Spirit (Crown Oaks win over 2500m) and #3 Bonneval (NZ Oaks win over 2400m)
- The previous Heavy track performers are: #9 Perfect Rhyme (2-1-1-0), #8 Waking Moment (1-1-0-0), #2 La Bella Diosa (2-1-0-0), #12 High Impulse (2-1-0-0), #1 Lasqueti Spirit (4-0-1-1), #4 Nurse Kitchen (1-0-1-0) and #5 Harlow Gold (1-0-0-1)
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.