Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The punters remain keen on the undefeated filly from the Gold Coast in 2017 Golden Slipper betting, but can the Magic Millions Classic winner Houtzen get the job done from her wide barrier?
On Saturday in Sydney the world’s richest race for two-year-old horses takes place at Rosehill Gardens and it will be a capacity field for this year’s $3.5 million Group 1 Longines Golden Slipper (1200m).
Leading the latest Golden Slipper odds online at Ladbrokes.com.au at a firm $4.40 is the Toby Edmonds-trained Houtzen.
She carted a record 63kg to victory at Eagle Farm in her final lead-up, taking her career record to a flawless four-from-four, and even drawing out in barrier 16 (into 14 at best) hasn’t deterred the fans.
Houtzen continues to handle everything put in front of her and is proven over the distance winning the $2 million Magic Millions 2YO Classic (1200m) at home from barrier 16 of 16 in mid-January.
Will that winning streak continue in the Golden Slipper Stakes 2017?
Golden Slipper Stakes Horse Form: #15 Houtzen
- Barrier: 16 (into 14 without emergencies)
- Weight: 54.5kg
- Jockey: Jeff Lloyd
- Trainer: Toby Edmonds
- Owner/s: Miss J Edmonds, Just Fun Racing, Mr R J Casey, Mr A K Warren, Mr S J Shirley, Mr P J Lederhose, Mr S I Hargreaves, Mr N A Warren, Ms X Huang, Mr P J Mullen, Mr G M Lawrence, G1G Racing & Breeding, Mr C M Casey, Ms D J Rochfort, Mr P J Peters
- Age: 2YO
- Gender: Filly
- Breeding: by I Am Invincible from Set To Unleash
- Career: 4-4-0-0
- Win: 100%
- Place: 100%
- Last 4: 1-1-1-1
- Prize Money: $1,325,600
- Track: 0-0-0-0
- Distance: 1-1-0-0
- Current 2017 Golden Slipper Odds: $4.40
Why Houtzen Can Win the Golden Slipper Stakes 2017
- The barrier means she may have to do a lot of work early and no Slipper winner has done it from gate 14 since Polar Success (2003)
- She made history with 63kg on her back for a four length win last start and gets massive weight relief this weekend coming back to 54.5kg
- Lloyd knows this filly well having ridden her for all four career starts and wins to date
- The fillies have a decent recent record in the Golden Slipper results winning twice in the past four years
- Is undefeated boasting a perfect 100% Win Rate coming into the race
- Has already amassed over $1.3 million in prize money
- All her racing has been the right-handed way
- Distance is a non-issue as she easily won the Magic Millions Classic over 1200m
- Favourites have won four times since 2008
Why Houtzen Won’t be the 2017 Golden Slipper Winner
- She has proven she can handle an outside barrier winning the Magic Millions Classic from 16 of 16
- Two of the past three Golden Slipper winners came from a double-digit draw including Vancouver (16 of 16 in 2015)
- Is yet to race outside of Queensland
- Hasn’t been in Group race company
- Trainer Toby Edmonds has never saddled-up a horse in a Golden Slipper field
- No Golden Slipper winner has come off a non-Sydney lead-up race since Catbird (1999) from Canberra and before that it was Flying Spur (1995) out of a Group 1 at Flemington
Think Houtzen can handle the wide barrier and win the Golden Slipper Stakes? Head to Ladbrokes.com.au now to back her at Enhanced Odds (Max Bet $100 / T&Cs apply).
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.