Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The season’s best young sprinters face off for $3.5 million in prize money in the Golden Slipper Stakes 2017 on Saturday, a full form guide analysis and betting preview for the Rosehill classic detailed below.
The capacity sixteen starters will take to the Rosehill Gardens track for Race 7 at 4:10pm (AEDT) when the Group 1 Longines Golden Slipper (1200m) headlines the Sydney racing action on the weekend.
Single-figure fancies in Golden Slipper betting have dominated the race in recent years and this season four of the hopefuls are under $10 for the win through Ladbrokes.com.au.
Despite drawing wide in barrier sixteen, into fourteen if the emergencies come out, the Toby Edmonds-trained Houtzen remains top of the Golden Slipper odds at $4.40.
She comes off an Eagle Farm win by four lengths over 1000m carting a record 63kg to victory and is yet to taste defeat in her four career runs.
Winner of the $2 million Magic Millions 2YO Classic (1200m) at the Gold Coast in January, this Queensland-trained filly is proven at the distance and still has plenty of claims even from the wide alley.
Second elect at $5 is the one-time top fancy She Will Reign in barrier thirteen (into eleven) and out to atone for her second in the Group 2 Reisling Stakes when run down late on the Heavy-rated Randwick track a fortnight back.
The notable early market mover meanwhile is the Lindsay Park-trained Ladbrokes Blue Diamond Stakes winner Catchy ($7 into $6) who Craig Williams rides from a better than mid-field barrier.
Catchy is yet to race the Sydney way, but the bookies are taking no chances with the Group 1 winner who is out to hand co-trainer David Hayes with his second Slipper trophy after his success with the filly Miss Finland back in 2006.
2017 Golden Slipper Form Facts & Betting Stats
Last Year’s Winning Form:
- Last year’s Golden Slipper winner was the Peter & Paul Snowden-trained Capitalist (2016) who came off a second in the Todman Stakes, jumped from barrier 2 (of 16) with Blake Shinn aboard the $8 fancy
- Peter & Paul Snowden are back chasing successive wins this weekend with #1 Pariah ($8) and #7 Invader ($21)
- The last trainer to prepare back-to-back Golden Slipper winners was Gai Waterhouse with Pierro (2012) and Overreach (2013)
- #1 Pariah is the only colt or gelding under $10 in the latest Golden Slipper odds and comes off a second in the Blue Diamond Stakes
- #4 Invader has the same Golden Slipper form as Capitalist having run second in the Group 2 Todman Stakes (1200m) on March 4
- Jockey Blake Shinn rides #1 Pariah looking to go back-to-back in the race as a hoop for the first time since RS Dye who rode four winners on the trot from 1989-1992
Previous Golden Slipper Winning Trainers:
- Co-trainer of last year’s winner Peter Snowden also prepared Sepoy for his 2011 Golden Slipper win
- Along with Peter Snowden (15-2-2-1) the other previous Golden Slipper winning trainers with a runner this year are: David Hayes (32-1-4-2) with #9 Catchy, #10 Formality, #11 Tulip and #16 Madeenaty; and Paul Perry with the third emergency #19e The Mission
- Having their first starter in a Golden Slipper field are: Mark Newnham with #5 Diamond Tathagata; Michael Freedman with #13 Frolic and #14 Teaspoon; and Toby Edmonds with the favourite #15 Houtzen
- Previous Golden Slipper Winning Jockeys:
- Along with Blake Shinn (4-1-1-0) the other previous Golden Slipper winning jockeys with a ride this weekend are: Tommy Berry (6-2-0-0) on #13 Frolic, Craig Williams (10-1-3-0) on #9 Catchy and Kerrin McEvoy (9-1-2-0) on #11 Tulip
- Regan Bayliss on #16 Madeenaty has his first ride in a Golden Slipper field on Saturday
Golden Slipper Barriers:
- Last year’s Golden Slipper winning barrier (2) has produced three winners (since 1983) and is drawn on Saturday by #10 Formality ($21)
- Barrier 1 was the last to produce back-to-back Golden Slipper champions with Pierro (2012) and Overreach (2013)
- The most successful Golden Slipper barrier (since 1983) with seven winners is also Barrier 1 with Overeach (2013) the last to salute from the inside alley
- The coveted Barrier 1 Golden Slipper Draw belongs this year to #8 Menari ($26)
- Outside of the inside alley three Golden Slipper Stakes barriers have produced four winners each (since 1983): Barrier 5, Barrier 10 and Barrier 11
- #3 Trapeze Artist ($31) is drawn in barrier five, which last produced a winner with Sebring (2008)
- Barrier 10 is drawn by #11 Tulip but with the emergencies out it will be #2 Veranillo (11) in the alley that last produced a winner back in 1994 with Danzero
- Barrier 11 is drawn by #2 Veranillo currently but with the emergencies out it will be #12 She Will Reign (13) out to salute from the gate for the first time since Mossfun (2014)
- Since 1983 the Golden Slipper barriers yet to produce a winner are 4, 9 and 13
- #1 Pariah (barrier four) is out to be the first from that gate
- Barrier 9 is drawn by #16 Madeenaty but with the emergencies out it will be #11 Tulip (10) in the alley
- Barrier 13 is drawn by #12 She Will Reign but with the emergencies out it will be either #14 Teaspoon (14) or #7 Invader (15) out to overcome the hoodoo
Golden Slipper Lead-Up Races
- The Todman Stakes has produced the past two Golden Slipper winners with Vancouver (1st in 2015) and Capitalist (2nd in 2016)
- In the past decade five winners were Todman Stakes graduates and along with Vancouver the other to do the double was Pierro (2012)
- This year the horses out of the Todman Stakes are: Invader (2nd), Veranillo (3rd), the second emergency on Saturday Showtime (4th) and Menari (5th)
- The other best Golden Slipper lead-up race is the Reisling Stakes that has produced three winners in the past ten years most recently with Mossfun (2nd in 2014)
- The last filly to complete the Reisling Stakes – Golden Slipper double was Overreach (2013)
- #13 Frolic ($13) is this year’s Reisling Stakes winner looking to frank that form
- The other Reisling Stakes graduate running in the Slipper field on Saturday is She Will Reign (2nd)
- All nine Golden Slipper winners from 2008 – 2016 finished either first or second in their lead-up run
- This year the only horses (excluding emergencies) that finished worse than second last start are: #2 Veranillo (Todman Stakes 3rd), #8 Menari (Todman Stakes 5th), #10 Formality (Blue Diamond 3rd) and #14 Teaspoon (Sweet Embrace 3rd)
- Catbird (Black Opal Stakes win at Canberra) back in 1999 was the last Golden Slipper Stakes winner to come off a non-Sydney lead-up
- This year the two-year-olds coming off a Melbourne run are Blue Diamond Stakes gradates Catchy (1st), Pariah (2nd), Formality (3rd)
- #6 Trekking comes off a Black Opal Stakes second in Canberra and the favourite #15 Houtzen won at Eagle Farm
Golden Slipper Results: Boys vs Girls
- Four fillies have beaten home the boys in the past ten editions of the Golden Slipper most recently Mossfun (2014)
- Since 1983 a total of fourteen fillies have been crowned the Golden Slipper Stakes winner
- The last filly to start favourite in a Golden Slipper was Earthquake (2014) who ran second to Mossfun
- The last filly to start favourite in a Golden Slipper and win was Overreach in 2013
- Eight fillies feature in this year’s Golden Slipper Stakes field: #9 Catchy, #10 Formality, #11 Tulip, #12 She Will Reign, #13 Frolic, #14 Teaspoon, #15 Houtzen and #19 Madeenaty
- Three of those fillies occupy the opening three lines of Golden Slipper betting with #15 Houtzen ($4.40), #12 She Will Reign ($5) and #9 Catchy ($6)
Golden Slipper Favourites
- Since 2008 four Golden Slipper favourites have saluted most recently Vancouver (2015)
- Just two Golden Slipper winners in the past thirteen years have started at double-figures in betting with Forensics ($13 in 2007) and Phelan Ready ($26 in 2009)
- #15 Houtzen is the 2017 Golden Slipper favourite
Track & Distance Golden Slipper Form
- The previous winners at the Rosehill track are: #1 Pariah (1-1-0-0), #2 Veranillo (2-1-1-0), #4 Single Bullet (1-1-0-0), #6 Trekking (1-1-0-0), #11 Tulip (1-1-0-0), #12 She Will Reign (1-1-0-0), #14 Teaspoon (1-1-0-0) and the first emergency #17e Chauffeur (1-1-0-0)
- The previous winners over the 1200m distance are: #3 Trapeze Artist (3-2-0-0), #13 Frolic (4-2-2-0), #4 Single Bullet (3-1-1-1), #5 Diamond Tathagata (1-1-0-0), #7 Invader (3-1-1-0), #9 Catchy (1-1-0-0), #11 Tulip (2-1-0-0) and #15 Houtzen (1-1-0-0)
Win Rate Golden Slipper Form
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to the undefeated fillies #9 Catchy (100%) and #15 Houtzen (100%)
Stay tuned for our insider Golden Slipper Stakes 2017 tips online to be published shortly, checking out the full race form guide below in the meantime courtesy of Ladbrokes.com.au – home of Odds Boost (T&Cs apply).
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.