Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
German horseman Andreas Wohler has won a Melbourne Cup and on Saturday is out to add the Caulfield Cup 2016 trophy to the cabinet with his visiting raider Articus making his down under debut.
Wohler took out the ‘race that stops a nation’ two years ago with Protectionist (2014) and on the weekend saddles-up one of the single-figure hopes in the $3 million Group 1 BMW Caulfield Cup (2400m) for the same Australian Bloodstock connections.
Markets at Ladbrokes.com.au on the world’s richest mile and a half handicap have the Ciaron Maher-trained Jameka ($3.70) as the best fancied of the local stayers in the mix.
Of the internationals, there’s been money for all of them including five-year-old Areion stallion Articus backed into $9.50.
Jockey Zac Purton has the local knowhow and chases his second Caulfield Cup winning ride in three years after success aboard the ill-fated Japanese stayer Admire Rakti (2014).
Saturday sees Articus step up to 2400m for the first time chasing his first win since July, but Wohler remains confident he can run in the Caulfield Cup First Four.
“The horse is in great condition. He’s fresh. He’s well,” Wohler told AAP throughout the week.
“You do all the work and the travelling to have a good run and if it doesn’t happen it’s a matter of circumstance.
“You need a bit of luck as well so when everything goes right hopefully he’ll finish in the first four.”
So will Articus run up to his price in Caulfield Cup betting and make a nice exotic selection?
2016 Caulfield Cup Horse Form #9 Articus
Jockey: Zac Purton
Trainer: Andreas Wohler
Owner/s: Australian Bloodstock, Australian Bloodstock No 2, Mr L H Yuen, Power Thoroughbreds, Mr A A Brogan, Mr J F Tupou, Mrs A M Mckee, G & M Barnett Racing, Platinum Breeding & Racing, Mr G J P Van Ameyden, Kimba Super Fund, Mr S Ducat, Mr M Grundmann, Mr S S Roth, Mr D Butcher, Powerhouse, Mr D Cicciarelli, Mr S L Mcinnes, Mr M A Wood, Get The Dukes Out Racing 2
Breeding: by Areion (GER) from Almerita (GER)
Last 6: 31215x
Prize Money: $160,672
Current 2016 Caulfield Cup Odds: $9.50
Why Articus Is the Right International Caulfield Cup Horse to Back
- He drops from 60kg that he carried in Group 1 company last start to just 53kg this weekend, an exact weight last carried to victory in the race by Mummify (2003) .
- Zac Purton has recent Caulfield Cup winning form having ridden Admire Rakti (2014) to victory in the race just two years ago
- Trainer Andrea Wohler hasn’t won this race but he prepared the 2014 Melbourne Cup winner so knows how to take out a feature spring showdown down under
- Stallions (as opposed to mares, fillies, colts and geldings) have won three of the past four editions of the race
- Internationals have a strong recent record in the race including the win by French raider Dunaden (2012)
- Is Group 1 performed in Germany
- Because he is so lightly raced he boasts one of the best Win (44%) and Place (78%) rates of the Caulfield Cup field
Why Articus Won’t Finish First in the Caulfield Cup Results 2016
- Barrier 11 is a tricky gate and has produced just one Caulfield Cup winner in over 30 years with Diatribe (2000)
- In Australia Articus is a five-year-old and the last 5YO to win was Master O’Reilly (2007)
- He is only lightly raced with nine career starts and faces far more experienced runners
- Is yet to see the 2400m distance and has winning form only up to 2000m so far
- Hasn’t had an Australian lead-up run or raced since July
- Looks under the odds and single-figure fancies have a poor recent record in the Caulfield Cup
Think Articus has genuine claims to finish in the money on Saturday? Lock him into your 2016 Caulfield Cup betting tips now through Ladbrokes.com.au – home of the $700 first time depositor bonus (excluding NSW) with use of the code SPRINGBONUS (T&Cs apply).
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.