Recent history shows the internationals have a strong record in the Caulfield Cup results so can the Charlie Appleby-trained Godolphin raider Scottish continue the trend this weekend?
A capacity 2016 Caulfield Cup field of 18 stayers faces off in Caulfield Race 8 on Saturday afternoon kicking the action of the Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival up a notch.
Three of the runners are Northern Hemisphere-trained and looking to take out the $3 million over the locals as French galloper Dunaden (2012) four years ago.
Since then Japan’s Admire Rakti (2014) and New Zealander Mongolian Khan (2015) also won from outside of an Australian stable.
The shortest-priced of the international Caulfield Cup horses this season in the 2400m classic is Teofilo five-year-old Scottish paying $7.50 and firming in the markets at Ladbrokes.com.au.
He is drawn a treat in barrier seven with Kerrin McEvoy booked for his down under debut, the hoop having won aboard the Saeed Bin Suroor-trained raider All The Good (2008) under a decade ago.
Scottish was last seen winning the Group 3 Strensall Stakes (1799m) at York on August 20, but his Newmarket-based trainer Appleby is full of confidence heading into the Caulfield Cup first-up in Australia.
“I’m excited and it’s just nice to have a horse on Saturday who I’m looking forward to being very competitive in the Caulfield Cup,” he told The Courier Mail on Thursday.
“I think we come out near enough on top with the international horses in the Caulfield Cup.
“We have form lines we can tie into each other and profile-wise I think we have a good profile going into the race.”
So is Appleby’s assessment correct, can Godolphin secure another Caulfield Cup win with Scottish this weekend?
2016 Caulfield Cup Horse Form #4 Scottish
Jockey: Kerrin McEvoy
Trainer: Charlie Appleby
Owner/s: Godolphin Management Co. Ltd.
Breeding: by Teofilo (IRE) from Zeiting (IRE)
Last 6: 1×3121
Prize Money: $333,711
Current 2016 Caulfield Cup Odds: $7.50
Yes – Scottish Can Win the 2016 Caulfield Cup for Godolphin
- He has a gun barrier 7 draw, which is the race’s second most successful (since 1983), producing four winners including Admire Rakti (2014)
- International raiders have a strong recent record in the Caulfield Cup
- Is competitively weighted with 55kg, an exact weight carried to victory twice in the past three years by Fakwner (2013) and Mongolian Khan (2015)
- Jockey Kerrin McEvoy has previous Caulfield Cup winning form aboard All The Good (2008)
- From two runs over the distance he has run second twice
No – Scottish Won’t Salute in the Caulfield Cup 2016 for the Raiders
- Down under Scottish races as a 5YO and the last Caulfield Cup winner that age was Master O’Reilly (2007)
- Shapes up as a better Place chance with an 82% Place Rate
- He has no previous form in Australia racing first-up on the weekend
- Is a last start winner and just two last start winners have saluted in the race in the past decade
- Is at single-figures in Caulfield Cup betting and only three single-figure fancies have won the race in the past 10 years
Think Scottish is the best of the international raiders in this year’s Caulfield Cup field and want to back him at Enhanced Odds (T&Cs apply)? Head to Ladbrokes.com.au now who are also running a $700 First Deposit Match Bet Offer (excluding NSW) with use of the code SPRINGBONUS!