Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
One of the four Group 1 highlights on the Caulfield Guineas Day line-up in Melbourne on Saturday is the Toorak Handicap 2016, a comprehensive form guide preview and betting analysis for which is found below.
Running as Caulfield Race 9 at 5:10pm (AEDT) on the cracking 10-race card, a field of 13 milers take to the track in this season’s $500,000 Group 1 Toorak Handicap (1600m).
Heading the latest Toorak Handicap odds at Ladbrokes.com.au paying $4 to break a nearly 30 year drought for rails-drawn runners in the feature is He’s Our Rokkii.
Dwayne Dunn rides the in-form son of Roc De Cambes, the Lindsay Park-trained four-year-old coming off back-to-back wins at the track in easier company.
The other best fancied in the Toorak Handicap betting markets this Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival include Ciaron Maher’s last start Sir Rupert Clarke winner Bon Aurum ($6), the Darren Weir-trained Japanese import Tosen Stardom ($6.50) and Royal Rapture ($8.50) chasing his sixth win on the trot.
That’s the story told by the bookies but what does the Toorak Handicap form guide, betting history and race statistics reveal about who to sack and who to back in this year’s markets?
2016 Toorak Handicap Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Toorak Handicap winner was the Darren Weir-trained six-year-old Lucky Hussler (2015) who backed up from a sixth in the Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes, jumped from barrier 4 (of 17) and had Glen Boss aboard as a 5/1 shot
- Weir also won the 2014 edition of the race with Trust In A Gust who completed the Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes – Toorak Handicap double
- This year Weir returns chasing his third success in as many years with #2 Tosen Stardom ($6.50) and #6 Royal Rapture ($8.50)
- Along with Weir (4-2-0-1) the only other previous Toorak Handicap winning trainer with a runner this year is David Hayes (19-1-3-2) with #4 He’s Our Rokkii ($4) and #5 Jacquinot Bay ($26)
- Last year’s winning jockey Glen Boss is without a ride in 2016
- The previous Toorak Handicap winning jockeys with a ride on Saturday are: Craig Williams (10-1-1-3) on #2 Tosen Stardom, Craig Newitt (10-1-0-0) on #9 Cosmic Cube and Corey Brown (8-1-0-0) on #10 Thames Court
- The Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes has produced the past four straight Toorak Handicap winners
- #3 Bon Aurum ($6) shoots for the Sir Rupert Clarke – Toorak Handicap double this year
- The other Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes graduates facing off on Saturday are: Thames Court (4th), Counterattack (=6th) and Tivaci (=6th)
- The other last start winners in the Toorak Handicap field this season are: #4 He’s Our Rokkii (Handicap, 1400m, Caulfield, 17/09/2016), #6 Royal Rapture (Handicap, 1700m, Caulfield, 24/09/2016) and #12 Moral Victory (Group 2 Shannon Stakes, 1500m, Rosehill, 24/09/2016)
- Last year’s winning barrier (4) has produced three Toorak Handicap winners (since 1983) and belongs this year to #13 Tivaci ($11)
- The most successful Toorak Handicap barriers in that time producing five and four winners respectively are 3 and 11 drawn this year by #12 Moral Victory (3) and #9 Cosmic Cube (11)
- Four-year-olds have won six of the past 11 editions of the race; the 4YOs in the mix this year are: #3 Bon Aurum, #4 He’s Our Rokkii, #7 Counterattack, #10 Thames Court and #13 Tivaci
- Since 2007 three mares have won the Toorak Handicap; the mares in the race on Saturday looking to be the first to win since More Joyous (2010) are #8 Miss Rose De Lago and #10 Thames Court
- Favourites have four of the past 10 Toorak Handicaps; this year’s favourite is #4 He’s Our Rokkii ($4)
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #4 He’s Our Rokkii (40%) followed by #3 Bon Aurum (38%) and #6 Royal Rapture (33%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #10 Thames Court (70%) followed by #4 He’s Our Rokkii (67%) and #6 Royal Rapture (67%)
- The horses with the best record at the distance (1600m) are: #5 Jacquinot Bay (17-6-3-0), #11 Great Esteem (13-4-1-1), #8 Miss Rose De Lago (11-3-1-1), #6 Royal Rapture (6-2-3-0) and #4 He’s Our Rokkii (7-2-2-0)
- At the track (Caulfield) the runners with the best form are: #8 Miss Rose De Lago (5-4-0-1), #3 Bon Aurum (5-2-0-1), #11 Great Esteem (6-2-0-0) and #4 He’s Our Rokkii (3-2-1-0)
Stay tuned for our insider Toorak Handicap 2016 betting tips.
In the meantime check out the comprehensive form guide below provided by the home of Odds Boost (T&Cs apply) – Ladbrokes.com.au.
2016 Toorak Handicap Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.