Anthony Freedman has the Brisbane Winter Racing...
A gun field of three-year-old fillies take to the Caulfield track this Saturday in the Thousand Guineas 2016, a detailed form guide analysis and betting preview on the Guineas Day feature found below.
Fifteen hopefuls face off in this season’s $500,000 Group 1 Schweppes Thousand Guineas (1600m), the set weights classic running as Caulfield Race 7 at 3:50pm (AEDT).
Leading the latest Thousand Guineas odds at Ladbrokes.com.au paying $3.20 is Chris Waller’s easing favourite Foxplay who comes off back-to-back Group wins in Sydney.
She is running in Melbourne for the first time, but jockey Hugh Bowman is full of confidence she has the ability to get the job done for the punters from barrier one.
The big Thousand Guineas betting market mover challenging Foxplay for favouritism is also out of Sydney, Global Glamour ($5 into $4.40) coming off the Group 1 Flight Stakes (1600m) win only last Saturday.
So will the Sydney form stack up or does the Thousand Guineas form guide, betting history and statistics reveal value in another runner such as last start Caulfield winner Harlow Gold ($9.50) or the Thousand Guineas Prelude champ Legless Veuve ($18)?
2016 Thousand Guineas Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Thousand Guineas winner was the David Hayes & Tom Dabernig-trained Stay With Me (2015) who came off a sixth in the Thousand Guineas Prelude, jumped from barrier 4 (of 11) with Dwayne Dunn aboard the 7/1 hope
- Hayes and Dabernig return this weekend chasing back-to-back wins with #11 Sebring Dream ($34) and #12 Harlow Gold ($9.50)
- In total David Hayes has enjoyed three Thousand Guineas victories having also won as a solo trainer in 2009 (Irish Lights) and 2006 (Miss Finland)
- Along with Hayes & Lindsay Park the other previous Thousand Guineas winning trainers with a starter on Saturday are: Chris Waller (2-1-0-0) with #4 Foxplay, Stuart Webb (1-1-0-0) with #8 Legless Veuve, and Leon Corstens (6-1-0-0) who co-trains #15 Fromparis Withlove with Leon Corstens
- Stay With Me (2015) was the third Thousand Guineas winner in the past six years to come off a run in the Prelude with the double last achieved by Irish Lights (2009)
- This year #8 Legless Veuve ($18) comes off the Prelude win
- The other Thousand Guineas Prelude graduates backing up in Saturday’s Group 1 are: La Luna Rossa (2nd), Sword Of Light (3rd), I Am A Star (4th), Sebring Dream (5th), Missrock (6th), Whispering Brook (7th) and Samara Dancer (8th)
- History shows the most successful lead-up race into the Thousand Guineas has been the Edward Manifold Stakes with the last to come off that run being Commanding Jewel (3rd in 2012) and the double last completed by Gallica (2008)
- This year’s Edward Manifold Stakes graduates running in the Thousand Guineas are: Fromparis Withlove (5th) and Peeking Duck (14th)
- Last year’s winning jockey Dwayne Dunn chases back-to-back Thousand Guineas wins on #2 Missrock ($12)
- Along with Dunn (10-1-1-1) the other previous Thousand Guineas winning jockeys with a ride this year are: Damien Oliver (18-5-2-0) on #6 La Luna Rossa; Kerrin McEvoy (8-1-0-1) on #3 Global Glamour; Hugh Bowman (7-1-0-1) on #4 Foxplay; and Steven King (13-1-2-0) on #5 I Am A Star
- Last year’s winning barrier (4) has produced a total of three Thousand Guineas winners (since 1983) and belongs this year to #9 Sword Of Light ($41)
- The most successful Thousand Guineas barrier in that time producing five wins is barrier five drawn by this year’s favourite #4 Foxplay ($3.20)
- In the past 10 years five Thousand Guineas favourites have won; this year’s favourite is #4 Foxplay
- The last double-figure Thousand Guineas winner was Yosei ($10 in 2010); the other single-figure hopes this year are #3 Global Glamour ($4.40) and #12 Harlow Gold ($9.50)
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #1 Whispering Brook (71%) followed by #10 Leotie (60%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #1 Whispering Brook (86%) along with #6 La Luna Rossa (86%) and #10 Leotie (80%)
- The only fillies in the mix with a top three run over the distance (1600m) are: #3 Global Glamour (1-1-0-0) and #12 Harlow Gold (1-1-0-0)
- #3 Global Glamour is after the Flight Stakes – Thousand Guineas double last achieved by Guelph (2013)
- The fillies with the best form at the track (Caulfield) are: #9 Sword Of Light (5-1-1-1), #10 Leotie (2-1-1-0), #12 Harlow Gold (1-1-0-0), #2 Missrock (2-1-0-0), #5 I Am A Star (3-1-0-0), #7 Samara Dancer (3-1-0-0), #8 Legless Veuve (1-1-0-0), #6 La Luna Rossa (1-0-1-0) and #15 Fromparis Withlove (4-0-0-1)
Stay tuned for our exclusive Thousand Guineas 2016 betting tips to be published shortly.
Before then make sure you check out the comprehensive 2016 Thousand Guineas form guide below provided by Ladbrokes.com.au – home of the best Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival odds.
2016 Thousand Guineas Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.