The last of the Sydney Group 1s for the year plays out at Royal Randwick Racecourse on Saturday with the three-year-olds facing off in the Spring Champion Stakes 2016, a detailed form guide analysis and betting preview for which is detailed below.
Running as Race 7 at 4:10pm (AEDT) on the nine-race program, a final field of 11 hopefuls face off in this season’s $500,000 Group 1 Moet & Chandon Spring Champion Stakes (2000m).
Heading the latest Spring Champion Stakes odds at Ladbrokes.com.au to break the fillies’ hoodoo in the set weights clash is David Vandyke’s Group 1 winning daughter of All American Yankee Rose ($2.60).
Markets are firm on the ATC Sires’ Produce winner from the autumn to return to elite level winning form third-up on Saturday and become the first filly to take out the race since it was inaugurated in 1971.
She jumps from gate eight, which produced back-to-back winners in 2006 and 2008 with Teranaba and Sousa respectively, and has lightweight hoop Dean Yendall booked for the ride.
Yendall is also booked to ride Yankee Rose on October 22 at Moonee Valley in the Group 1 Cox Plate (2040m), which is shaping up as a scintillating clash between the reigning champ Winx and the Godolphin galloper Hartnell.
So can Yankee Rose buck the trend in the Spring Champion Stakes on Saturday or does the form guide, betting history and statistics point to an upset from the likes of Champagne Stakes winner Prized Icon ($3.90) or the Hawkes Racing-trained Swear ($6.50)?
2016 Spring Champion Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Spring Champion Stakes winner was the Chris Waller-trained Vanbrugh (2015) who backed up off a Gloaming Stakes win, jumped from barrier 6 (of 10) and had Glyn Schofield aboard for the win on the favourite
- Chris Waller returns chasing back-to-back victories this weekend with #2 Veladero ($11), #4 High Mist ($9.50) and #7 Tumultuous ($21)
- Vanbrugh (2015) was the fifth Spring Champion Stakes winner to back up off a Gloaming Stakes run and the third in four years to complete the double
- This year #2 Veladero chases the Gloaming Stakes – Spring Champion Stakes double
- The other Gloaming Stakes graduates backing up in Saturday’s Group 1 are: Honeywine (2nd), Prized Icon (3rd), Retaliation (4th), Tumultuous (5th), Swear (6th), High Mist (7th) with only 1.5 lengths covering the first seven over the line in the lead-up run
- Along with Waller (4-1-1-0) the only other previous Spring Champion Stakes trainer with a runner on Saturday are: John Hawkes (17-1-2-2) with #3 Swear ($6.50) and #8 Ready Fire Aim ($51)
- Last year’s winning hoop Glyn Schofield is after another win this weekend on #1 Prized Icon ($3.90)
- Along with Schofield (7-1-1-0) the other previous Spring Champion Stakes winning jockeys with a ride on Saturday are: Christian Reith (3-1-0-0) on #8 Ready Fire Aim and Joshua Parr (4-1-1-0) on #10 Khartoum ($81)
- Last year’s winning barrier (6) has produced just the one winner (since 1983) and belongs this year to #4 High Mist
- The most successful Spring Champion Stakes barriers in that time with five winners each are 2, 4 and 8; this year those barriers belong to #5 Honeywine (2), #1 Prized Icon (4) and #11 Yankee Rose (8)
- #11 Yankee Rose ($2.60) is out to become the first Spring Champion Stakes winning filly in the race’s history
- The last filly to contest the race was First Seal (2nd in 2014 to Hampton Court)
- Favourites have won just one edition of the race since the success of Platinum Scissors (7/4 in 2002) when Vanbrugh (6/4 in 2015) got the job done for the punters last year
- #11 Yankee Rose jumps favourite in Spring Champion Stakes betting at Ladbrokes.com.au this year j
- Last start winners have won the past four straight editions of the race and #2 Veladero is the only last start winner in the line-up this weekend
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #3 Swear (67%) followed by #2 Veladero (50%), #6 Retaliation (50%) and #11 Yankee Rose (50%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #11 Yankee Rose (83%) followed by #1 Prized Icon (80%) and #6 Retaliation (75%)
- No runners in the field have previous experience at the distance (2000m)
- At the track (Randwick) the horses with the best record are: #1 Prized Icon (7-2-1-2), #11 Yankee Rose (2-1-1-0), #3 Swear (1-1-0-0) and High Mist (1-0-1-0)
Stay tuned for our exclusive Spring Champion Stakes 2016 betting tips to be published shortly.
In the meantime check over the complete Spring Champion Stakes form guide below provided by Ladbrokes.com.au – home of the $500 first time depositor’s bonus (excluding NSW) with use of the code BETBONUS (T&Cs apply).