The second Group 1 feature race of the Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival is the Makybe Diva Stakes 2016 at Flemington Racecourse this Saturday, a detailed form guide analysis and betting preview for the mile showdown found below.
Set to run as Flemington Race 7 at 4:10pm (AEST), this season’s $500,000 Group 1 PFD Food Services Makybe Diva Stakes (1600m) field features 13 weight-for-age hopefuls.
Just three of those currently sit under double-figures in Makybe Diva Stakes betting at Ladbrokes.com.au, markets firmly led by Darren Weir’s last start Memsie Stakes winner Black Heart Bart ($2.30).
Off the gun lead-up form from the star Weir stables, the galloper is the deserving favourite but his short price has punters looking for value in the Makybe Diva Stakes odds.
The next best in betting are Weir’s early market mover Palentino ($6) and the Memsie Stakes runner-up Rising Romance ($8.50) who also ran second in last year’s Makybe Diva Stakes quinella.
That’s the story the bookies are telling but what does the Makybe Diva Stakes form guide, betting history and statistics reveal when it comes to deciding who to back and who to sack?
2016 Makybe Diva Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Makybe Diva Stakes winner was the Robert Hickmott-trained Fawkner (2015) ridden by Damien Oliver from barrier 11 (of 14) first-up
- Hickmott is without a runner in 2016 but the former Makybe Diva Stakes winning trainers with a chance on Saturday are: Lee Freedman (31-4-4-4) who co-trains #4 Our Ivanhowe in partnership with Anthony Freedman; David Hayes (21-3-0-0) who saddles-up #5 Jacquinot Bay, #7 He Or She and #12 Rising Romance in partnership with his son Ben and nephew Tom Dabernig; and Mick Price (5-1-1-0) with #9 Tarzino
- Last year’s winning jockey Damien Oliver (20-4-1-2) is the race’s most successful hoop in the past 30 years and chases a fifth Makybe Diva Stakes win this weekend aboard #3 Black Heart Bart
- The other previous Makybe Diva Stakes winning jockeys with a ride this year are: Craig Williams (12-3-0-1) on #7 He Or She, Craig Newitt (8-2-0-1) on #9 Tarzino and Ben Melham (4-1-0-0) on #2 Happy Trails
- Two runners are first-up on Saturday looking to repeat the first-up winning form of Fawkner last year: #2 Happy Trails ($34) and #4 Our Ivanhowe ($11)
- The other first-up winners along with Fawkner (2005) in the past 30 years were Confectioner (2005) and Littorio (2011)
- 17 of the past 30 Makybe Diva Stakes winners won second-up; the second-up starters this year are: #1 Prince Of Penzance, #3 Black Heart Bart, #6 Entirely Platinum, #7 He Or She, #8 Alpine Eagle, #9 Tarzino, #11 Ayers Rock, #12 Rising Romance and #13 Sofia Rosa
- Last year’s winning barrier (11) has produced four Makybe Diva Stakes winners in the past 30 years and belongs on Saturday to #2 Happy Trails
- The most successful Makybe Diva Stakes barrier (since 1983) with five wins is barrier one – drawn this year by #6 Entirely Platinum ($15)
- The other best barriers with four wins each along with 11 are 6 and 8 drawn this season by #7 He Or She and #3 Black Heart Bart respectively
- The Memsie Stakes has produced two Makybe Diva Stakes winners in the past eight years including Dissident (2014) who completed the double #3 Black Heart Bart chases this season
- The other Memsie Stakes graduates in the mix are: Rising Romance (2nd), Palentino (5th), Alpine Eagle (6th), He Or She (7th), Tarzino (8th), Sofia Rosa (10th) and Prince Of Penzance (11th)
- Five-year-olds have won four times in the past decade; #8 Alpine Eagle ($14) is the sole 5YO in the race this year
- Four-year-olds have won three times in the past decade; the 4YOs in the mix this year are: #9 Tarzino ($11), #10 Palentino ($6), #11 Ayers Rock ($151) and #13 Sofia Rosa ($21)
- Favourites have saluted for the punters just twice since 2002; #3 Black Heart Bart ($2.25) is out to be the next on Saturday
- Since 1996 just one mare has won the Makybe Diva Stakes – Southern Speed (2012) – and this year two mares take on the boys with Group 1 winners #12 Rising Romance and #13 Sofia Rosa
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #7 He Or She (45%) and #13 Sofia Rosa (45) followed by #3 Black Heart Bart (41%) and #8 Alpine Eagle (40%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #3 Black Heart Bart (75%) followed by #8 Alpine Eagle (70%) and #10 Palentino (67%)
- Over the distance (1600m) the horses with the most wins are: #5 Jacquinot Bay (16-6-3-0), #7 He Or She (5-3-0-0), #2 Happy Trails (14-3-0-2) and #1 Prince Of Penzance (4-2-1-0)
- At the track (Flemington) the horses with the best winning form are: #2 Happy Trails (13-3-0-2), #5 Jacquinot Bay (11-3-1-0), #1 Prince Of Penzance (7-2-3-0) and #10 Palentino (3-2-1-0)
- The previous winners over the track / distance are: #2 Happy Trails (3-1-0-0), #5 Jacquinot Bay (3-1-0-0), #7 He Or She (2-1-0-0) and #10 Palentino (1-1-0-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Makybe Diva Stakes tips to be published shortly.
In the meantime check out the full Makybe Diva Stakes 2016 form guide below – courtesy of Ladbrokes.com.au.