Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
Group 1 racing comes to a close for another Australian racing season on Saturday at Eagle Farm Racecourse with the fillies and mares facing off in the Tattersall’s Tiara 2016, a detailed form guide analysis for which is found below.
Due to jump as Eagle Farm Race 8 at 3:17pm (AEST), a final field of 16 face off in this year’s $500,000 Group 1 Tattersall’s Club Tiara (1400m).
Two favourites have saluted in the weight-for-age feature in as many years and the top fancy in Tattersall’s Tiara betting at Ladbrokes.com.au this Queensland Winter Racing Carnival is the Ciaron Maher-trained Azkadellia.
She is the market mover too backed in from $2.70 to $2.40 to hand Maher with back-to-back wins after his success in the race 12 months ago with Srikandi.
A host of other mares coming off good lead-up form are also under $10 for the Tiara title this season including Kris Lees’ flyer from NSW Danish Twist ($5.50) and retiring seven-year-old Cradle Me ($8) shooting for a popular double after her Group 2 Dane Ripper Stakes (1400m) win a fortnight back.
That’s the tale of the tape spun by the bookies, but does the Tattersall’s Tiara form guide, betting history and statistics reveal a different story for punters?
2016 Tattersall’s Tiara Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Tattersall’s Tiara winner was the Ciaron Maher-trained four-year-old Srikandi (2015) who was the race favourite, came off a Stradbroke Handicap win and jumped from barrier 15 of 15 with Kerrin McEvoy in the saddle
- Ciaron Maher (1-1-0-0) is back this year after another win this time with #1 Azkadellia ($2.40) who is also the top fancy in betting and out to atone for a last start 10th in the Stradbroke at the same track and distance
- The only trainer to date to prepare back-to-back Tiara winners is Graeme Begg with Bonanova (1999-2000)
- The only other previous Tattersall’s Tiara winning trainer with a runner this year is Gai Waterhouse (7-1-1-0) with #10 Echo Gal ($41)
- Jockey Kerrin McEvoy (4-1-0-0) chases back-to-back winning Tiara rides this year partnering #11 Artistry ($15)
- The other previous Tattersall’s Tiara winning jockeys with a ride on Saturday are: Michael Cahill (11-1-1-0) on #12 Palazzo Pubblico ($41) and Jeff Lloyd (1-1-0-0) on #13 Onemorezeta ($41)
- The Stradbroke Handicap has produced five of the past 10 Tattersall’s Tiara winners including Srikandi who completed the double last year; this year the Stradbroke Handicap graduates backing up in the Tiara are: Precious Gem (6th) and Azkadellia (10th)
- Last year’s winning barrier (15) has produced just one Tiara winner (since 1996) and belongs this year to #13 Onemorezeta
- Three of the past four Tattersall’s Tiara winners jumped from double-digit barriers including two from the widest alley with Srikandi (15 of 15 in 2015) and Red Tracer (16 of 16 in 2013)
- The outside barrier on Saturday (16 of 16) is drawn by #16 My Poppette ($21)
- The most successful Tattersall’s Tiara barrier (since 1996) producing three winners is gate seven drawn this year by #6 Jessy Belle ($26)
- The four most recent winners all came off a last-start victory; there are three last start winners in the field this year with: #2 Danish Twist (Listed June Stakes, 1100m, Randwick, 11/06/2016), #4 Cradle Me (Group 2 Dane Ripper Stakes, 1400m, Eagle Farm, 11/06/2016) and #15 Blueberry Hill (Listed Gai Waterhouse Classic, 1350m, Ipswich, 18/06/2016)
- #4 Cradle Me ($8) is out to complete the Dane Ripper Stakes – Tiara double for the third time in four years following the success of Red Tracer (2013) and Cosmic Endeavour (2014) in both races
- The Dane Ripper Stakes has produced a total of four Tiara champions since 2009; the other Dane Ripper graduates in the Tiara on Saturday along with the winner are: Artistry (2nd), Jessy Belle (3rd), Onemorezeta (4th), Beatnicks (6th) and My Poppette (11th)
- #16 My Poppette and #15 Blueberry Hill are the two fillies in the field; 3YOs fillies have won five of the past eight Tattersall Tiara editions
- The other most successful age group with five wins in the past 11 years is four-year-olds; the 4YOs in the mix this season are: #1 Azkadellia, #2 Danish Twist, #5 Miss Cover Girl, #7 Sultry Feeling, #8 Press Report, #10 Echo Gal, #11 Artistry, #12 Palazzo Pubblico and #13 Onemorezeta
- No mare older than five-years-old has ever won the race; this year that rules out #3 Precious Gem (6YO) and #4 Cradle Me (7YO)
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #2 Danish Twist (47%) followed by #1 Azkadellia (38%), #11 Artistry (38%) and #15 Blueberry Hill (36%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #1 Azkadellia (88%) followed by #2 Danish Twist (82%)
- The runners with the best winning record over the distance (1400m) are: #2 Danish Twist (8-4-3-1), #3 Precious Gem (11-3-1-1), #6 Jessy Belle (13-3-2-3), #1 Azkadellia (5-2-2-0), #4 Cradle Me (7-2-2-1), #14 Beatniks (7-2-2-2) and #9 Scarlet Billows (8-2-0-0)
- #4 Cradle Me (2-1-0-0) is the only previous winner at the Eagle Farm track
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Tattersall’s Tiara 2016 tips to be published shortly.
In the meantime head over to Ladbrokes.com.au and open a new account quoting the code BETBONUS to enjoy up to $500 in bonuses when you deposit up to that amount!
2016 Tattersall’s Tiara Form Guide
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.